Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

A few decades ago, women routinely and openly went to their Gyn for a "Dilation and Curretage", referred to as a D&C. That was before abortions were legal, and the openness of talk about the procedure suggests that a felonious and criminal abortion was not the objective. But when abortions became legalized, D&C was one of the methods of choice.

But since about the 1970s, I never hear about this procedure anymore. So my question is, why did women who were not pregnant get a therapeutic D&C, and why don't they any more? Or do they just not talk about it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
There are other reasons to get a D&C besides pregnancy, such as cellular abnormalities found on a Pap smear, or abnormal bleeding. Still done.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
That's "dusting and cleaning" to you.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A few decades ago, women routinely and openly went to their Gyn for a "Dilation and Curretage", referred to as a D&C. That was before abortions were legal, and the openness of talk about the procedure suggests that a felonious and criminal abortion was not the objective. But when abortions became legalized, D&C was one of the methods of choice.

But since about the 1970s, I never hear about this procedure anymore. So my question is, why did women who were not pregnant get a therapeutic D&C, and why don't they any more? Or do they just not talk about it?
D&C (dilatation & curretage) is probably most commonly used to remove the remnants of a miscarriage that did not complete itself. It can also be used to diagnose bleeding abnormalities, often combined with hysteroscopy (in which a telescope is inserted into the uterus to visualize the uterine lining.)

Many times a simple office biopsy can obtain enough tissue for a diagnosis and a full D&C is not needed.

http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Pa...328T1951022852

Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I have had two after miscarriages. It had nothing to do with abortion. You may not hear about it because for many it is not a happy occasion.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have had two after miscarriages. It had nothing to do with abortion. You may not hear about it because for many it is not a happy occasion.
Exactly!!!!!
Thank you for that.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I just had one. In my case, I had abnormal bleeding heavy enough that I had to have two transfusions. I had a biopsy done twice in the doctor's office. The first biopsy showed precancerous changes. The second biopsy was clear. My gyn wanted to make sure the second biopsy hadn't missed precancerous cells, so I was scheduled for a hysteroscopy and D&C. While she was in there, she did some resectioning also which is supposed to help with the bleeding issue. She said she removed a lot of really abnormal looking tissue, but everything she removed was tested for cancer and they didn't find any. So that's why I had to have a D&C.

My MIL asked about the D&C too, she wondered if I was pregnant and there was something wrong with the baby. But my tubes have been tied for nearly a decade and there was definitely no baby...I had a urine test and a blood test to rule out pregnancy before the procedure was done. It was just needed to figure out if I had cancer, and to try to figure out the cause of my bleeding problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness