Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times

Advertisements

Last Monday (five days ago), as I was walking, I accidentally hit the upper part of my nose and/or the lower part of my forehead on a steel ladder (or on something which looked like a steel ladder) which was placed on top of a car. After this accident occurred, I felt like my brain was bouncing around and/or jiggling inside my head for a day or two, after which point this feeling/sensation gradually decreased and stopped. I also felt a lot of pain on my nose after this accident, and while most of this pain has already went away, I still feel a little pain in my nose right now. It also appears that this accident caused me to have an even more deviated septum (sp?); I've always had problems breathing through my nose, but these problems became (much) worse after this accident. Anyway, I plan to hopefully get my nose and my septum (sp?) fixed sometime within the next several days.

However, I've got a question--how likely was I to have suffered a brain injury (especially a permanent brain injury) as a result of this accident? For the record, I did not faint or lose consciousness or anything after this accident, so yeah.

Hopefully I explained my accident here sufficiently well here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Hmm, no memory loss...good.
No temperment change....good.
No insomnia or extreme tiredness....good.
No odd behavior...good.
No eyesight changes....good.
No appetite changes....good.
No taste changes....good.
No light sensitivity....good.
No dizziness...good.
No headache...good.
No nausea...good.

I'm getting all this...bec u would have mentioned them I think.
So far VERY good. Whew.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
You would have to hit that ladder pretty hard to get a brain injury. You just hurt or broke you nose, and of course that will hurt for awhile.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
1. You would have to hit that ladder pretty hard to get a brain injury.

2. You just hurt or broke you nose, and of course that will hurt for awhile.
1. I think that I might have very well hit this steel ladder pretty hard, though. Keep in mind that I was walking at a regular or perhaps even at a fast pace (so perhaps at a speed of 5 to 10 miles per hour) when I hit the upper part of my nose and/or the lower part of my forehead on it.

2. Yes, my nose appears to be broken, but I think that there might be more to it than this.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
1. Hmm, no memory loss...good.
2. No temperment change....good.
3. No insomnia or extreme tiredness....good.
4. No odd behavior...good.
5. No eyesight changes....good.
6. No appetite changes....good.
7. No taste changes....good.
8. No light sensitivity....good.
9. No dizziness...good.
9 (continued). No headache...good.
10. No nausea...good.

I'm getting all this...bec u would have mentioned them I think.
So far VERY good. Whew.
1. Yep.

2. Well, I might have become somewhat/a bit more emotional, sensitive, and/or irritable after this accident. It is sort of hard to say for sure, though.

3. Yep, at least no more than usual.

4. Well, I might have become somewhat/a bit more nervous, antsy, and/or anxious after this accident; however, one again, it is sort of hard to say for certain.

5. Yep.

6. Yep--my appetite is still as robust as it always was.

7. Yep.

8. You mean sensitivity to light? If that is indeed the case, then you appear to be correct on this.

9. I don't know--perhaps I have a little more dizziness and/or headaches than I had before this accident, or perhaps not. It is sort of hard to say for certain.

10. Yep.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 AM

I did appear to have a severe headache and a sensation of having my brain be bouncing for a whole day or two after this accident, though.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I did appear to have a severe headache and a sensation of having my brain be bouncing for a whole day or two after this accident, though.
Have you gone to a doctor yet? I certainly hope so...

Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Have you gone to a doctor yet? I certainly hope so...
I went to my college campus nurse on the day of this accident.

Other than that, No, not yet.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I have to point out that I doubt VERY seriously that you were walking at 5 MPH, let alone TEN mph. So no, you didn't hit that bar going anywhere close to that speed. At the most, even if you were power walking or speed walking you were probably going 4 mph or a bit less.

I've had three actual concussions in my life. I lost consciousness with all three, even though they were deemed to be rather mild (no permanent damage in other words and no overnight stay in the hospital - they just observed me for a few hours and then sent me home).

That being said, a blow like that to your head could very well cause a pretty serious headache - and could certainly damage your nose, which is what it sounds like happened to you. If you're going to the doctor anyway about your nose, I'd just mention the headache but I doubt seriously that they will do anything or order additional tests. I mean, it's been DAYS ago now and apparently you're OK. You haven't lost consciousness or been confused or had other symptoms of a concussion.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,249 times
Request an MRI, if in fact, you have a fracture or a break. I didn't need to because the doctor just ordered it. Glad he did because a small bone had splintered off and had lodged into my upper sinus.

Better safe than sorry!

ETA: I'm amazed that some people are telling you to basically shake it off. It doesn't matter how fast you were walking. The fact is you hit your head hard enough to be injured. Nobody but a doctor can know for sure if you may have an injury beyond a broken or even a bruised nose.

Last edited by ForLoveOnly; 03-02-2014 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness