Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:12 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times

Advertisements

Just a little history about my cig usage.

I've been an off and on cig smoker for most of my life but it was never something I couldn't live without and I go through long periods of time without having one. I have other vices to compensate for it

However when I travel for some reason I need to smoke. I tend to drink more when I travel as well. As soon as the drinks start coming I need a cig. I choose Marlboro Lights and smoke a half at a time.

When I return from a trip it usually takes me a week to wean my self off cigs.

Before returning from this last trip I ordered an E-Cig online. As soon as I got home I put it together and started "vaping". I've had zero cravings for an analog since every since. I was completely floored at how well it worked.

Fast Forward three weeks later and I am still cig free but not without side effects. I have the dizzy/vertigo feeling that a lot of people write about online. It is really concerning so I stopped all together. Maybe the 12mg (med) nic level is too high or maybe I've been playing with my "toy" too much...fair enough but I am definitely not withdrawing from cigs because I don't smoke them unless I travel which is only every few months. I've never felt this when I had to wean myself off analog cigs just cravings.

So far I am only one day into not using my E-Cig and I've still been dizzy and foggy all day. I can handle it but it is a tad concerning.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing ? I don't trust E-Cig forums because you know people in the industry are going to flood it.

Hoping to find everyday folk here to respond.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I would get that off a cig when I hadn't had one for a substantial period of time. When I switched to ecigs I started with 24mg and did get a bit dizzy off it and now it doesn't bother me at all. I used to smoke Marlboro Lights 100's. Try lowering the level of nicotine you are inhaling. If you don't know how to do that you can find that info on those forums you don't trust. I owe my life to E-Cigarette Forum.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
If you are getting dizzy you are puffing on them too quickly and getting too much nicotine in your system at once.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:56 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I just decided to try them out and just got a disposable that was in the store.
WOW! Dizzy just like smoking the first time
Even caused a coughing spasm.
I hadn't given thought to the nicotine levels being different.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I finally quit being a heavy smoker in April 2012 by transitioning to e-cigs; I have become quite the PV equipment geek and lover of "gourmet" juices!

12 mg is pretty low. I started with 36-32 mg juice and am now down to 18mg - anything lower feels like sucking air and will have me back on analogs. However, vaping even zero nic will dehydrate you somewhat. Are you drinking plenty of fluids? You probably should drink more water than usual, especially if you're a heavy vaper. Also, if you're using cheaper juice from China, who knows what you are inhaling. I only buy juice made in the US, with American-made ingredients. Feel free to DM me if you want and I will share a few of my favourite vendors.

Not all vaping forums are polluted with spam...this one is basically the City Data equivalent of All Things e-Cigarette; the mods keep a very tight rein on things, it's insanely busy, and vendors have to be approved in order to post. You can browse without joining:

E-Cigarette Forum

Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
My vote is for playing with your toy too much. Have a cartomizer of zero nicotine e-juice around when you want to play, and use that. I like to wind down the evening with zero nicotine e-jucie, too. Feeds the smoking habit but lets me wind down and sleep.

If you are an infrequent smoker I'd stick with 6mg of nicotine (that's 0.6%) - at most. And avoid real cigarettes, just take an e-cig with you when your travel. Fin disposable come in 0.8% strength, so they are a close match for what you'ld need travelling.

Sometimes, starting out propylene glycol in e-cigs can heighten dehydration and cause muscle cramps and make you feel lousy. Your body gets used to it, and drinking more water and getting adequate minerals helps.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Some e-juice vendors will custom-mix juice with VG (vegetable glycerin) only, or carry VG juices without any propylene glycol. It's much milder.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Just a little history about my cig usage.

I've been an off and on cig smoker for most of my life but it was never something I couldn't live without and I go through long periods of time without having one. I have other vices to compensate for it

However when I travel for some reason I need to smoke. I tend to drink more when I travel as well. As soon as the drinks start coming I need a cig. I choose Marlboro Lights and smoke a half at a time.

When I return from a trip it usually takes me a week to wean my self off cigs.

Before returning from this last trip I ordered an E-Cig online. As soon as I got home I put it together and started "vaping". I've had zero cravings for an analog since every since. I was completely floored at how well it worked.

Fast Forward three weeks later and I am still cig free but not without side effects. I have the dizzy/vertigo feeling that a lot of people write about online. It is really concerning so I stopped all together. Maybe the 12mg (med) nic level is too high or maybe I've been playing with my "toy" too much...fair enough but I am definitely not withdrawing from cigs because I don't smoke them unless I travel which is only every few months. I've never felt this when I had to wean myself off analog cigs just cravings.

So far I am only one day into not using my E-Cig and I've still been dizzy and foggy all day. I can handle it but it is a tad concerning.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing ? I don't trust E-Cig forums because you know people in the industry are going to flood it.

Hoping to find everyday folk here to respond.

Thanks
I will note that correlation does not mean causation. Check your blood pressure. Also, for e-juice, make sure of your source. For instance, I will not order any from a Chinese manufacturer. The one 'study' that those who want to ban e-cigarettes often cite involves a small sampling of 16 vials of e-juice from a Chinese maker, with one or two samples showing the presence of some chemical found in antifreeze. While I did not and do not consider this study valid about e-cigs, I think it best to stay away from Chinese manufactures of such juice.

I quit smoking using e-cigs in April 2009, after 40 years of smoking regular cigarettes. It has done wonders for my lung capacity, plus it also helped with my hypertension. I did have some dizziness at one point, especially after standing, but it was due to my lowered blood pressure, hence I was able to cut back my medication some.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
There's a definite learning curve to vaping. 12 mg is very low. I stick with as much VG as possible; PG is horrendously drying and gave me nose bleeds. Neither VG nor PG should make you dizzy. I started with about 32 mg nic and now vape about 28 mg nic. Anything much lower and I go into withdrawal. Probably mental, but whatever...I want my nicotine!

I don't remember being dizzy. But it might just be your body adjusting.

I never recommend the ecig forum. It's full of self-proclaimed experts who will try to dazzle you with their huge clouds of vapor. Worst place on earth to learn anything of value. Crazy people who think putting out a video that starts with a low, "Hey, guys..." is not a good learning tool, imo.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
There's a definite learning curve to vaping. 12 mg is very low. I stick with as much VG as possible; PG is horrendously drying and gave me nose bleeds. Neither VG nor PG should make you dizzy. I started with about 32 mg nic and now vape about 28 mg nic. Anything much lower and I go into withdrawal. Probably mental, but whatever...I want my nicotine!

I don't remember being dizzy. But it might just be your body adjusting.

I never recommend the ecig forum. It's full of self-proclaimed experts who will try to dazzle you with their huge clouds of vapor. Worst place on earth to learn anything of value. Crazy people who think putting out a video that starts with a low, "Hey, guys..." is not a good learning tool, imo.
Great Post. I did post on that forum solely for the purpose of helping a newbie but as expected I was attacked by some members.

My juice comes from the USA. I researched the options before I purchased my E-Cig.

I can smoke a half pack of Malboro Reds or Lights for a month at a time and have no issues so I thought 12mg would be a safe place to start. However becoming a chain vapor with 12mg proved to be a BAD THING. Other people mentioned trying 0mg juice or cutting it with a 6mg juice to = 3mg. At this point I have no desire to continue but if I get the craving again for nicotine I might try it.

Another argument I read is that the additives PG or VG are used in everyday food items and such. My response is are they used in fruits vegetables and grains or processed foods that sit on the shelves of supermarkets for a year at a time ?

I am a casual smoker...when I drink or travel for long periods of time. I thought maybe I'd be doing myself a favor by switching to E-Cigs for when I have a craving but the feeling or POTENTIAL of ingesting too much nicotine was a first and a frightening experience to me.

IF you do choose to start using E-Cigs be aware of this and start VERY LOW and work your way up if you need to. I wish someone advised me of this in the beginning. Also try not to get "INTO" the whole vape scene. It will throw you for a loop buying new equipment juices learning new lingo...it sucks you in. An E-Cig IMO is to be used as a cessation tool not as an accessory to go clubbing. I learned this the hard way and once I did it took the fun out of it. I was under the impression that I can play with this new toy like it was my new smart phone....not advised. It is not a toy but a TOOL to rid yourself of a nasty habit. I hope this helps someone. I wish I had been able to read a post like this when I was feeling sick from too much nicotine.

Thank You for the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness