Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:41 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times

Advertisements

I've been taking over-the-counter sleeping pills for several months now because they make me feel so relaxed and help me fall asleep easier. I don't get any side effects from them such as grogginess or irritability. I didn't think taking over-the-counters was a big deal until I read that they contain acetaminophen, which can lead to liver damage. Do you think this is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Depends on which OTC you take. Read the package ingredients, most of them are just benadryl with or without other ingredients. Tylenol PM does have acetaminophen as a pain relieving ingredient, supposed to be meant for people who have trouble sleeping due to minor aches and pains. Melatonin or natural sleep aids don't usually have acetaminophen.
If you've been taking tylenol PM and are concerned, just switch over to plain old benadryl, it should have the same effect.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Benadryl, or any other brand of diphenhydramine such as Nytol, Sominex, or ZZZQuil (a marginally altered version of Nyquil - probably has 2 drops fewer corn syrup just so they can repackage it and get it approved as a sleep aid - you can substitute Nyquil if it's cheaper where you shop - but both liquids contain alcohol so be aware of that).

All of those are safe when taken as directed.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I use Unisom (actually store brand of it) which doesn't have acetaminophen. I don't think most plain "sleep aids" have it, just those like Tylenol PM that are for pain at night.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Benadryl, or any other brand of diphenhydramine such as Nytol, Sominex, or ZZZQuil (a marginally altered version of Nyquil - probably has 2 drops fewer corn syrup just so they can repackage it and get it approved as a sleep aid - you can substitute Nyquil if it's cheaper where you shop - but both liquids contain alcohol so be aware of that).

All of those are safe when taken as directed.
Please provide links to the studies that you are referring to.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Please provide links to the studies that you are referring to.
I didn't refer to any studies. Please provide links to any quote in that post that referred to any studies.

Also, there are hundreds. Try a simple google search on the word diphenhydramine. Not "diphenhydramine dangers" or "diphenhydramine deaths" - or even "diphenhydramine awesome." Just the word, all by itself. You could even do a google science search on it - and find all the actual real evidence-based scientific studies that have been done on the substance.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Okay, it sounds like I just need to avoid the Tylenol brand. Are there really no long term effects of using sleeping pills all the time? Such as damaged organs? I really like the relaxed feeling they give me at night.. I just want to make sure they won't endanger my health.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
There is also a ibuprofen (Advil or Advil generic equivalent) PM one you can try. Tylenol and generic tylenol brand OTCs do not help for me and ibuprofen works wonders. Best to try it on a day off when you don't have to be at work the next day just in case. Take care.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I dare anyone to take 2 droppers full of Lemon Balm Herb and stay awake reading in bed
or watching TV...no way could u do it.

(Lemon Balm has something valium does....At Health Food Stores...$10)

Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Okay, it sounds like I just need to avoid the Tylenol brand. Are there really no long term effects of using sleeping pills all the time? Such as damaged organs? I really like the relaxed feeling they give me at night.. I just want to make sure they won't endanger my health.
You're hearing wrong then. Tylenol is a brand name for a specific compound of chemicals. That compound has been associated with liver damage. If you are concerned with liver damage risk, then avoid all medications that contain that specific compound, regardless of the manufacturer's brand. There are several brands on the market from different manufacturers of that compound.

You also need to read the labels of whatever medications you DO use - because they ALL have potential risks associated with them. Especially if you have underlying health problems, which you haven't mentioned. But if you're taking an antidepressant, or an anti-anxiety medication, then you have to consider the interaction of the different medications as well.

Furthermore, as I said previously, the sleep meds should only be used as directed. If you think (for example) that a double dose will give you double the good sleep, and do that every night, you run higher risks - and in the case of diphenhydramine, overdosing in high enough quantity can actually be lethal.

But if you're taking just the 50mg dose that's recommended, once per night, are already a healthy person to begin with, eat well, don't drink alcohol at night, keep your caffeine levels down, get exercise - etc. etc. etc... then yes, it's safe to take diphenhydramine.

Don't rely on posts from an internet forum to give you advice on medications. Read the information that comes with the medicine, read the patient information on any other medicines you're taking, check with your pharmacist, check with your doctor. If you're having that much trouble sleeping that you need long-term help, you should probably be getting a sleep study done. Or at the very least - speak with someone who specializes in sleep disorders. There could be reasons for your sleeplessness that can be addressed without any medications at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness