U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,270,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
While we all have our own preferences and ways of eating that we defend--and enjoy, my casual observation is this:

Populations that eat as Asians do in their own countries, tend to be slender.

Think of the Japanese, Koreans, Malaysians, Thai, Vietnamese...and so on. Only when they turn to a Western-style diet do they take on Western-style obesity and diabetes--and increased cancer.

What do their native diets have in common? Small amounts of animal protein and large amounts of vegetables and fruit. Little glucose-containing yeast breads or pastries. Little or almost no dairy--especially cheese and pizza. Few burgers and French-fries. Low amounts of saturated fats.
Their native diets are also generally high in fish, shellfish, pork, poultry, and eggs (i.e., plenty of saturated fat). They also eat a LOT of rice and noodles (high glycemic load). What they don't usually do is eat a lot of heavily processed food or drink a lot of soda which is generally the key. They also walk and cycle a lot.

Australia has a "western" diet. They even have a lot of fast food. Yet, they are generally pretty healthy. Scandinavia does as well (as does Germany, France, etc.). Yet, all of the countries are among the top 10 in health rankings even thought the Aussies, Swedes, Danes, Fins, Norwegians, etc. simply adore chocolates, pastries, meats, and cheeses.

Quote:
Diet does matter, doesn't it?
Of course it does, but it isn't the be all-end all. We already know that the 1950's studies on saturated fat and cholesterol are essentially junk science. There are billions of healthy people who partake in animal protein, dairy, and/or both on a daily basis. The keys to health are moderate activity, limiting stress, a balanced diet, the avoidance of smoking and intake of other debilitating substances, clean air/water, and the overall limitation (as much as possible) of heavily processed foods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM

643 posts, read 800,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post

Veganism is a modern, 1st world choice. Nothing more, nothing less. Without modern supplementation and the petro-based food transport infrastructure, it is entirely unsustainable. Every single one of them would die off. I know it's inconvenient for you that the independent cycle of animal and human life and evolutionary agriculture has, for millions of years, contained the use of animals for food. You simply can't change history with beliefs, half-truths, pseudo-morals and idiotic metaphors.

This ^^

Veganism is not the way to go. Anyone debating that veganism is healthiest or natural or whatever really needs to reconsider things. Proof of this is all the fake meats that vegans eat. If meat was not delicious and nutritious, then they would not need to eat any fake meats. I dont think there is a vegan in the world who does not salivate at the smell of bacon.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,887,362 times
Oh, I see Cleveland has made my points for me. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,875,086 times
Lots of incredulous statements by the meat lovers/supporters here. Of course, you never provide links to your generalizations.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Lots of incredulous statements by the meat lovers/supporters here. Of course, you never provide links to your generalizations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There are lots of studies out there. Perhaps some small scale studies show that vegans are healthier ...... and others show that a high-meat diet as in Atkins or Paleo are healthiest ........ but the largest studies seem to indicate that the balanced Mediterranean diet is the best......
As I'm sure you know, anyone advocating any diet whatsoever, no matter how outrageously unbalanced (for example Ehret's Mucusless Diet) has studies and links.

That's why I point to life expectancy and national health charts, which tend to show that there is little difference in healthy life span between nations that have vastly different diets.

However there is something in the American diet (or daily calorie expenditure) that leads to more outright obesity than Europeans who have a similar high meat and dairy consumption. I suppose that might be related to the flavor enhancers in manufactured foods, which we eat more of. It's probably prudent to limit those sorts of highly processed foods, not because they are directly dangerous but because in some people they can lead to obesity.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM

192 posts, read 226,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
This ^^

Veganism is not the way to go. Anyone debating that veganism is healthiest or natural needs to reconsider things.
Yes. Reconsider or be doomed!
Stop your anti-corporate non-sense!
Repent, admit you've been brainwashed by the vegan-wickas. STOP!
Stop!
You must re-join the society that knows meat is needed.

This ^^
This ^^
This ^^ ...is not true.

I just uploaded my 71st video: My Vegan 20 year celebration. (can't post link-not allowed). I mentioned I supplement less than most meat-eaters, yet have less deficiencies(ZERO). (packaged food = supplemented. I don't eat those)

Quote:
Proof of this is all the fake meats that vegans eat.
Proof?? That's not even junk-science. We Raw/fruitarians don't eat fake anything; and do better for it.

Quote:
salivate at the smell of bacon
Bacon doesn't have a smell till it's cooked(like everything . . . except fruit is the only food humans can smell in it's natural state - Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding - the obvious food of humans)

EVerything carbon-based smells good cooked. Meat in it's natural state is NOT appealing(to US). There's your proof.

,Gary Winfinity

Last edited by Sacman; 03-12-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM

643 posts, read 800,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
Yes. Reconsider or be doomed!
Stop your anti-corporate non-sense!
Repent, admit you've been brainwashed by the vegan-wickas. STOP!
Stop!
You must re-join the society that knows meat is needed.

This ^^
This ^^
This ^^ ...is not true.

I just uploaded my 71st video: My Vegan 20 year celebration. (can't post link-not allowed). I mentioned I supplement less than most meat-eaters, yet have less deficiencies(ZERO). (packaged food = supplemented. I don't eat those)

Proof?? That's not even junk-science. We Raw/fruitarians don't eat fake anything; and do better for it.

Bacon doesn't have a smell till it's cooked(like everything . . . except fruit is the only food humans can smell in it's natural state - Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding - the obvious food of humans)

EVerything carbon-based smells good cooked. Meat in it's natural state is NOT appealing(to US). There's your proof.

,Gary Winfinity
Ahah good luck with your nutrient deficiencies. Veganism is a great cleanse diet. I would recommend it to anyone looking to cleanse themselves after eating all the **** a typical American diet consists of. But there is no substitute for good meat. It is loaded with nutrients that vegans are missing or forced to supplement. Please keep in mind im not talking about ground beef you buy at the grocery store. That meat is awful. Im talking about local pasture raised hormone and antibiotic free meats. I buy my meat at the local farmers markets. It is quite expensive though.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Clean meat can also be had by hunting and fishing, which can be less expensive, and is the sort of thing our ancestors lived on.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 PM

192 posts, read 226,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Ahah good luck with your nutrient deficiencies.
I've had GREAT luck. I see you're new here. You should see the video I put up last week "Vegan, 20 years: My lifestyle....a celebration" I mention I take less supplements than anyone(only non-diet sups), and have NO deficiencies at 45. (edit: I just realize I said this in my post you quoted!!! Didn't U read it? lol

Quote:
meat is loaded with nutrients that vegans are missing or forced to supplement.
Even wondered where the cow(vegan) GETS those nutrients? Why would I need to eat a vegan animal when I AM one.?

Bonus question: Name a deficiency only vegans get, and not meat-eaters.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 AM

B-12, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness