U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,680,537 times
Reputation: 8058

Advertisements

Supposedly healthier diets ..... low protein is the latest one to prolong healthy life: Low-Protein Diet May Extend Lifespan | Science/AAAS | News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,795,522 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Supposedly healthier diets ..... low protein is the latest one to prolong healthy life: Low-Protein Diet May Extend Lifespan | Science/AAAS | News
Longevity and some health researchers have actually been saying this (that low-protein is best) for quite awhile now.

Dr. Colin Campbell, author of the China Study, has studied how health is affected by animal protein.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mguepudBoYA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 38,338,602 times
Reputation: 20198
The China Study has been met with lots of criticism, including a former vegan/vegetarian, doesn't work for the meat industry, and is now a raw foodist - primarily vegetarian with eggs and fish (both raw) included.

The China Study: Fact or Fallacy? | Raw Food SOS

This woman breaks down the Study point by point, and she includes points that she agrees with and explains why.

The title of the video in the post above mine "Animal Protein "Turns On" Cancer Genes" is about as hyperbolic as it gets.

If it takes animal proteins to turn cancer genes on, it must mean that cancer genes are turned off, if there are no animal proteins introduced. However -

1. We are, by definition, animals, and our bodies are made, in part, of protein. There is no way to eliminate protein from our bodies. To do so, would be to cease to be human.

2. Barring the whole "we ARE protein, doh" argument - if one were to go by the intention of the point, rather than the semantics of the point - introducing proteins from OTHER animals into our bodies - would need to be the only way we can get cancer, since the cancer genes are turned off until other animal proteins are introduced. This would mean ...

drumroll...

vegans are not capable of getting cancer.

Since this isn't true...

the title of the video is a bald, flat out lie. If the author is willing to lie about the entire point of his video, this makes the content of the video dubious. It is for that reason alone that I wouldn't waste my time watching it.

...edited to point out - sperm is nearly all animal protein. So those vegans would need to not come into contact with any sperm from other humans, in order to qualify as "people who are never exposed to "other" animal proteins".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
 
Location: The 719
15,489 posts, read 23,524,240 times
Reputation: 14592
To your point about vegans and vegetarians still getting cancer, there's a guy with a post on youtube about why this may ne and how to prevent it.

I think the upshot of it is to keep your Omega3:Omega6 ratio high, as in 1:4 or even as high as 1:2 if possible. I think vitamins B12 and K got brought up. It's a complicated affair nontheless.

I'm personally working on a low carb high fat or LCHF diet. So far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM
 
192 posts, read 222,137 times
Reputation: 124
Those are all healthy except Low-carb. That's why people "working on" low-carb are "weeks" into the diet. They don't last.

Low protein is yet another healthy/natural thing that fits in with my controversial diet: Fruit-based, plant diet (or the "crazy" sounding: Raw-Vegan Fruitarian)

"Anon" attacks again - The 'debunker' he's referring to is that "Post-teen, lit-major, blogger" - Bhahahahah. She wrote an impressive critique......but that's been debunked thoroughly (even Campbell responded).

The science: The body can only use 40 grams of protein a day. More than that gets in the body's way. And animal protein is even harder to break down. You can avoid all that. Vegan diets work. We see it in people like Bode Miller(Best American skier):http://youtu.be/4wjU4EB7GI4

Edit: anon - ....not if you don't swallow Protein activating cancer may be from so much going thru the digestive system. ie we HAVE bones, but eating them is a different thing.

And the claim that Protein turns on cancer genes doesn't say OTHER things don't. Many things cause cancer.

Last edited by Sacman; 03-07-2014 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,096,859 times
Reputation: 912
Every food is bad for you if you listen to these clowns. Just like air will kill you because of all the free radicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM
 
4,133 posts, read 6,070,143 times
Reputation: 4455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post

The science: The body can only use 40 grams of protein a day. More than that gets in the body's way.
Men (ages 20-70) need 56 grams just to avoid deficiency. The recommended intake for the average male is 0.8g per kg (80g for a 100kg male) or roughly the same amount in a 350g (12 oz.) steak or 450g (16 oz.) of cheese. A vegan option would be about 2 lbs. of rice and beans (before hydration).

Quote:
And animal protein is even harder to break down.
Given the fact that it is a complete protein, it obviously requires a different digestive process (proteolysis). However, it is not "hard" to break down. It simply requires a different enzyme set which every human being can produce.

Quote:
You can avoid all that. Vegan diets work.
If, and only if, they are rigidly managed and, of course, supplemented as many vegans are D2, D3, iron, B12 and, of course, protein deficient. Vitamins D3 and B12 cannot be obtained from plant sources. Complete proteins require a minimum of 2 different plant sources at once in order for the body to form a complete protein.

Quote:
We see it in people like Bode Miller(Best American skier)
And, for every Bode Miller, there are 1000 non-vegetarian athletes of the same or better caliber. The truth is that most athletes do not thrive on vegan diets. As it is, downhill skiing is more a game of balance and coordination than it is about strength and endurance which is, of course, what most athletes complain of not having when attempting even a vegetarian diet.

Quote:
And the claim that Protein turns on cancer genes doesn't say OTHER things don't. Many things cause cancer.
But, moderate consumption of animal protein isn't one of them. If it was really true, nearly everyone would die of cancer prematurely, especially the Inuit (yet, their rate of cancer is very,very low despite 90+% of their diet coming from animal sources). This study is just another agenda pushing scare tactic... but, then again, aren't they all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,680,537 times
Reputation: 8058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
Those are all healthy except Low-carb. That's why people "working on" low-carb are "weeks" into the diet. They don't last.

Low protein is yet another healthy/natural thing that fits in with my controversial diet: Fruit-based, plant diet (or the "crazy" sounding: Raw-Vegan Fruitarian).....
Quite the opposite. All-fruit diets make most people ravenously hungry (including me and everyone I've heard of who has tried it). On the other hand, it's easier for most people to stay on a very low carb diet, for a couple of reasons, even though it might not be healthiest. One reason is that fats and proteins have a high satiation index - they make one feel satisfied with a meal sooner and longer than carbs. Another reason is that after a few days one's metabolism becomes ketotic, and that is an appetite suppressant of it's own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 PM
 
192 posts, read 222,137 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
All-fruit diets make most people ravenously hungry
No one's eating an All-fruit diet. On high-fruit, people "get" hungrier because the body is finally getting what it's designed for. And vise-versa for high-fat diets: the body shuts down it's appetite because it needs mostly carbs. Too much fat and protein is a burden to convert into glucose.

It's difficult to adjust to high-fruit, such as eating enough(fruit is bulkier). I took it slow, and whaalaa!!!



And contrary to the erroneous post(2 up), I'm way beyond vegan(5 years raw-high-fruit; 20 years vegan) and I have NO deficiencies. No supplements, 45 grams of protein a day for 5 years, I'm stronger now. I look healthier(at 45). I'm about to put up a video with my pic of 20 years ago. I haven't "aged".

The Food ind-taught society has been confused. Nature has it right

Last edited by Sacman; 03-08-2014 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,680,537 times
Reputation: 8058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
..... Nature has it right
The natural diet of humans practically everywhere has included meat and fish.

There are few centenarian vegans, let alone fruitarians. I've known plenty of vegans in Massachusetts and California ..... they just get a slightly different set of illnesses.

People in high-animal food cultures such as Europe are about as healthy and long-lived as cultures where those foods are minimal.

I keep seeing conflicting, contradictory studies and anecdotes about the different possible diets. Diet to me doesn't appear to affect health and longevity in any kind of significant way. However public health and wealth of a country seems to have a much bigger effect (eg vegetarian India which has poor health and low life expectancy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top