Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,852,651 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 and used to be able to sleep in pure silence with a cat on me, all through the night. As I've aged, my sleep patterns have become fragmented without a completely perfect sleep environment, and even then, I may wake up a few times.

I need to sleep in pure darkness now. I am currently staying in a hotel for a month and the sun rises about 6:15 here in MA and the windows are not fully covered. This wakes me up, and while I can go back to sleep, I may only "twilight" for half an hour a time, wake up, turn over, and do it a few more times until I get up at 8:15. I used to not need absolute darkness. At home, I've taped over the clock and other lights.

I also have to sleep with both a sleep machine and a fan of some sort. I prefer ceiling fans, but any fan will do. I set the sleep machine to rain, and without the particular sound of this one machine, it's almost impossible for me to sleep. I'm also very particular about my pillows and memory foam pad and wake up more without them.

I do drink, but the only thing the drinking does is make me go to the bathroom more at night. Even if I'm not drinking, I can't sleep without the sleep machine and fan, and do not sleep as well without the choice of pillows and mattress pad. When I sleep now, I usually have extremely vivid dreams and it's a "heavy" sleep, but in years past it was a lighter, more restful sleep. I've had numerous nights where I wake up from a dream, get up, "resituate," and come back and pick up right where I left off. When I get in these spells, I usually pick the dream right up where I left off, no matter how many times I wake up.

I'm down now to 10%-12% body fat, but am fairly stocky guy at 5'8 195. I did weigh more when the problem began, but the weight reduction hasn't helped.

Does anyone else have oddly fragmented sleeping patterns or strange sleeping habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,385,210 times
We are the same. My sleep problem started as a child when I needed to rock myself to sleep or else I couldn't get a wink. Fast forward 35+ years and it has evolved into a vicious pattern of few days sleep then a few days of extremely broken sleep. I haven't been able to escape this pattern for years now.

I live in NYC so climate and noise are huge issues for me. At one time I lived in California for 2 years and I had first hand experience with QUIET. When I came back to NYC noise that used to be a non issue for me became unbearable. Been sleeping with a white noise loop on my iPod WITH ear plugs and face mask ever since. My building is cheap with the heat and new space heaters don't produce enough heat. I FREEZE and I can only sleep a few hours. Thank God I am moving out of NYC next year

Hotels are tough to manage but I travel a great deal and make due :

Look into bringing your own blankets. A WOOBIE by Kirafu can be a great survival tool. You can tie a US ARMY poncho liner to it for extra warmth.

CLIPS - To close the curtains fully

Portable Door Lock - So you aren't worrying about maids coming in which might affect your sleep.

EYE MASK

EAR PLUGS

Also research sleep etiquette.

Good Luck

Old 03-05-2014, 06:15 AM

757 posts, read 1,019,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Does anyone else have oddly fragmented sleeping patterns or strange sleeping habits?
I certainly do have oddly fragmented sleeping patterns due to my severe sleep disorder. I haven't had a normal night sleep in the past 11 years, not once. I got woken up frequently during sleep. it doesn't matter where I'm geographically, be it Tokyo or NYC. It happens every night religiously. I'm seriously sick and medical help available to me so far hasn't been very helpful. I'm looking more toward alternative treatment at this point.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,303,625 times
I don't really need a perfect environment but I have a very specific way I need to be lying in order to fall asleep---on my stomach, arms under my body, at least a sheet covering me and only one pillow.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I do drink, but the only thing the drinking does is make me go to the bathroom more at night....Does anyone else have oddly fragmented sleeping patterns or strange sleeping habits?
Alcohol affects sleep in many ways. Don't minimize its effects. There are countless studies that confirm many of the symptoms you describe.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,976 times
I wake up several times a night, for years now. I do need to sleep with white noise, it helps immensely. When I travel, i bring a portable white noise machine.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM

19,699 posts, read 11,951,285 times
I try to practice sleep etiquette which seems to help. Low stimulation before going to bed, no tv in the bedroom, non-cluttered bedroom (peaceful environment), some magnesium before bed, a couple of spritzes of lavender on my sheets (it does help). All of those things do help me sleep. I am often awakened by pain so that I cannot help but falling asleep peacefully I can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness