U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM

36,503 posts, read 49,081,527 times

Advertisements

Had it Tuesday and was given a little clear plastic cup-type thing to tape over my eye at night. It is rounded on one end and pointed on the other. Where should the pointy end go? I think it is only natural it should go toward the corner of the eye up against the nose while DH thinks pointy end should go to the outside. I feel foolish calling the doctor cause it only makes sense to me my way. Any opinions or feedback from others?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM

274 posts, read 468,719 times
I would suggest not sleeping on your side - then what they suggested would make sense. I don't remember getting such a thing when I had my cataract surgery in 1996 - just an oval plastic eye 'patch' .. had to keep it on for about a week (driving sure was 'eye-opening' - no depth perception). I would call them just for your own reassurance. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 PM

826 posts, read 1,810,825 times
You're probably done with it by now but pointy end goes towards your nose! Hope the surgery went well...are you having the other side done soon?

Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
You're probably done with it by now but pointy end goes towards your nose! Hope the surgery went well...are you having the other side done soon?
Yes I put the pointy end close to my nose. more comfortable and shape made sense.

But a very strange thing happened after the surgery. It has been 2 weeks and my eyesight has changed so much I'm really confused. I have macular degeneration and have been getting injections in both eyes monthly for almost 6 years. My eyesight was getting so bad I simply could not ready regular print (my Kindle changed my life) and definitely could not read labels on food, recipes, nutrition labels, etc. I have worn glasses (I am far sighted) since i was 9 years old. But after the surgery my left eye-one operated on- didn't need glasses anymore. In fact I have not worn my glasses since the operation. Left eye sees almost perfectly far sighted but still can't see diddly up close. So right eye can't see far sighted but can see near sighted. So now I watch TV with only my left eye and use eye patch on right eye and put my hand over my left eye and read something up close with only my right eye. My eyes are schizophrenic in a weird way.

My glasses don't work at all anymore at all. I haven't driven since the surgery and husband will continue to drive me anywhere I need to go. In 2 weeks I see eye doctor again and he will tell me if I can have surgery on right eye. Of course I don't want to get new glasses now only to have to change again after right eye surgery.

I wonder how vision has changed for others after cataract surgery. Of course it should improve I guess but this much is very surprising. I do know the pain I felt around bright lights-especially at night- is pretty much gone. I couldn't even be in the same room with the Christmas tree lights twinkling.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:39 AM

19,859 posts, read 61,445,898 times
Same result for me. Hated the month it took to get the other eye done.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Saw a different doc today for my macular degeneration and his nurse suggested I remove the left lense from my glasses. This might help with the weird mono vision I have now.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM

33,515 posts, read 35,092,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Saw a different doc today for my macular degeneration and his nurse suggested I remove the left lense from my glasses. This might help with the weird mono vision I have now.
Many people deliberately use the type of vision you are describing: one eye for near and the other for distance. It can be done with contact lenses (bifocal contacts do not work well for many people) and with laser vision correction.

I had LASIK several years ago and opted for distance correction in both eyes. I could have had one eye corrected for near and one for distant. It turns out I can read all but small print without glasses.

Given a little time, your brain will choose the best eye to use and ignore the other one.

40 BEAUTIFUL WITH MONOVISION - LASIK LaserVision Lasik Thailand |LASIK Surgery |LASIK BANKGOK|FEMTOSECOND|Bladeless LASIK|Laser Eye|Surgery |Custom LASIK|Surgeon |Facts

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the link. I finally remembered years ago monovision contacts were suggested to me but I couldn't see that working for me. I understand it works for some and that is good. I'm sure I will have to resume glasses when the other surgery and recuperation is completed. I just want to be able to function again without all this frustration. Seems I am holding a hand up to cover one eye most of the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness