Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM

107 posts, read 224,172 times

Advertisements

I would like to get my driver's license but I'm afraid because I get care sick, I won't be able to drive. I've been told that driving a car is different form riding with someone else driving. Before anyone answers yes or no, the car sickness I get isn't me feeling dizzy (meaning not in my head) but its more of me feeling nauseous (in my stomach). I normally take medication to prevent the nausea in the stomach but it causes drowsiness. I would like to know if driving will still cause this issue?

Aside form that, I need a driving school that isn't too expensive where they won't drive you to some place just so you can learn (pretty much the car sickness issue above).

Lastly, where is the best place to get your driver's license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 PM

107 posts, read 224,172 times
anyone?

Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Everyone is different, no one can answer how YOU will feel when YOU drive. Best advice get you temp license and get in a car and drive and see how you feel.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:55 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calusblade View Post
I would like to get my driver's license but I'm afraid because I get care sick, I won't be able to drive. I've been told that driving a car is different form riding with someone else driving. Before anyone answers yes or no, the car sickness I get isn't me feeling dizzy (meaning not in my head) but its more of me feeling nauseous (in my stomach). I normally take medication to prevent the nausea in the stomach but it causes drowsiness. I would like to know if driving will still cause this issue?

Aside form that, I need a driving school that isn't too expensive where they won't drive you to some place just so you can learn (pretty much the car sickness issue above).

To some extent yes, riding as a passenger is different than actually driving the vehicle yourself, so you may or may not feel queasy.

Riding as a passenger you have no control over how the driver handles the car so certain things can you feel ill. Remember quite vividly nearly wanting to unswallow several times over the years with persons that drove too fast, too close to shoulder/railings on bridges or highways, but the main thing was zooming in and out of traffic so the car was like something out of an amusement park ride.

Naturally if you are operating the car you can control things to have a ride which suits. It will certainly help if you perhaps take some biofeedback lessons or some such to learn how to control anxiety. The first few times one drives it is very natural to worry about hitting something or being hit. If you also are stressing over the possibility of being car sick that just may cause sensory overload.

If you know someone with a car ask them if you can go to an open field or empty parking lot and take a small "test". Whatever you do it is not advisable to get into a habit of say taking a little "something" to calm you down before driving. *LOL*

Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I've heard good things about Ferrari Driving School. Maybe you should give them a call and ask them about the logistics of the lessons and whether there is any time when you would have to be a passenger.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calusblade View Post

I am assuming that you live in New York City because any young blooded american in the real world (not nyc) knows the answers to these questions off the top of their head

Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP you might want to go see your family doctor and explain your situation, He/she may be able to prescribe something that will help your nerves and anxiety so you can take your test without fear.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 PM

696 posts, read 703,429 times
I often get sick as a passenger, but have never felt sick when driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness