U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 03:34 PM

746 posts, read 747,049 times

Advertisements

Last night and the night before I had trouble falling asleep. It took me until 4:30 something AM the first night and 5:00 something AM last night. ONLY the first night I was worried about something but somehow calmed down but still couldn't fall asleep. I was suddenly worried about something happening again that happened not too long ago, I asked about it in these threads Can you wake up from a nightmare WITHOUT screaming

//www.city-data.com/forum/menta...-mentally.html

But even after feeling better i couldn't fall asleep, and last night I couldn't fall asleep but I wwsnt even worried about anything. I haven't had any medicine changes or anything.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:01 PM

5,754 posts, read 10,663,126 times
I've had trouble sleeping the last couple of nights, too. A friend mentioned there's an especially potent full moon happening right about now..I wonder?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Just came across this:

Watch for the Full Worm Moon on Sunday! The Full Worm Moon was given its name by the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior. At the time of this spring Moon, the ground begins to soften and earthworm casts reappear, inviting the return of robins. In some regions, this is also known as the Sap Moon, as it marks the time when maple sap begins to flow and the annual tapping of maple trees begins.

Maybe our sap is rising and that's why we cant' sleep!!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just came across this:

Watch for the Full Worm Moon on Sunday! The Full Worm Moon was given its name by the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior. At the time of this spring Moon, the ground begins to soften and earthworm casts reappear, inviting the return of robins. In some regions, this is also known as the Sap Moon, as it marks the time when maple sap begins to flow and the annual tapping of maple trees begins.

Maybe our sap is rising and that's why we cant' sleep!!
What do you mean by Maybe our sap is rising and that's why we can't sleep!!?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 PM

13,900 posts, read 11,619,514 times
When I have trouble falling asleep, { which is basically every night } I like to concentrate on one thing and one thing only. It's pretty much theb same thing as the old "counting sheep" method. Like last night it was the color black. I just envisioned a black screen and kept thinking "black, black, black".... The night before that was the color brown. I imagined briown swirls of pudding and just focused on that. One of my favorites it's envisioning myself just simply flying through space and watching all the little stars as I pass by them.... While you're doing this, take deep, heavy breaths. Not too deep, just slow youer breathing down a little to whatever is comfortable for you.

It sounds stupid I know, but I have found it to be effective on those nights when my mind is especially racing from one thought to another.

Something else you might consider is having a constant, monotone noise in the background, like a fan on low, even if it's not pointing at you.

I hate insomnia, I've struggled with it for a long time. There are times when after two hours of misery trying to fall asleep, I'll just give up and then my day is pretty much completely ruined because I'm dragging all day. Sometimes when I really just don't want to deal with it I'll take a big shot of NyQuil at bed time to knock me out. I don't recommend it, but it does work usually.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
What do you mean by Maybe our sap is rising and that's why we can't sleep!!?
Spring's arrival affects all growing things...including humans. Our bodies begin to wake up from their winter hibernation, so to speak. This new aliveness can shape our sleep patterns.

Have you noticed, perhaps, that you sleep differently in winter? I tend to sleep longer with less daylight--come Spring and Summer I need less sleep.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 12,416,555 times
Worry or fear can get the adrenalin flowing. The best way to get rid of that is exercise. So work out or go for a long walk before bedtime. That should help.

HowStuffWorks "Fight or Flight"

Old 03-16-2014, 03:10 PM

I took a Trazodone at 2 AM cause I did not want to have to wait another 3 hours (or more) to fall asleep. I guess it's back to relying on medicine to fall asleep.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Worry or fear can get the adrenalin flowing. The best way to get rid of that is exercise. So work out or go for a long walk before bedtime. That should help.

HowStuffWorks "Fight or Flight"
Exercise does not always help you to fall asleep.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM

1,927 posts, read 3,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Exercise does not always help you to fall asleep.
Exercise in the evening can be counterproductive for some folks....however I always found swimming late afternoon or evening to make it impossible to even stay awake and watch TV!

One of the best things for many people is to be rather rigid on your hours to cut exposure to light, and that even includes computer screens - people with insomnia may sit in front of the computer monitor, and that light exposure can really play havoc with you if you aren't careful.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness