Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times

Advertisements

This question is for someone knowledgable about how to draw blood during donation. I am a regular blood donor which is a good thing as if today had been my first time, it would have been my last as well. The prick hurt more than normal when she inserted the needle and I commented on that. I was told there was scar tissue on the vein. Which did make sense as I have all blood work done from the same arm. But then after hooked up, it continued to hurt a little but was especially noticeable every time I squeezed the hand sponge, it was a searing pain. That has never happened before. I finally said something and she tried to redo how the needle was inserted. Helped some but at one point she did something and truly did hurt to the point I yelled out. She was very apologetic over and over, but also continued to "chide" me for not saying something sooner. I should have but thought I could get through it plus was concerned about what would happen if she messed with it. So, my question is what wasn't set up right that caused me to feel the searing type pain when I squeezed? Is it the needle placement, or the tourniquet above my elbow? I will continue to give, just do not want to have this experience again.

And, for anyone reading this who hasn't given, please do give! I don't mean to scare anyone off as I had always had good experiences before. I was just not expecting anything like this, and I am peeved that I felt I was made to feel like it was my fault for not saying something sooner. And yes, the people coordinating the blood drive know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Not sure but the needle may have gone out the vein. I had that happen to an IV line for surgery and it hurt. Not as bad as you are describing but they had to put a new one in, in a different place.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:00 PM

77 posts, read 103,324 times
Another veteran blood donor here I've wondered the same thing, and have been on both sides of the needle. However, I'm much better at giving blood than taking it, so have never garnered experience to the point that I could shed light on that question.

When I became a phlebotomist, our "training" consisted entirely of learning a little A&P about veins and arteries, then sticking our fellow classmates ten times. That definitely wasn't enough education for me, and don't think it is for most people... otherwise experiences like you describe wouldn't be quite so common. There's no reason it should hurt beyond a little initial sting, and phlebs should know (before graduating!) how to deal with things like scar tissue, rolling/collapsed veins, etc. (Many, upon realizing they're not in [or have gone through], will root around until they hit paydirt. That's where a lot of scar tissue and hematomas come from.)

A little OT, but I wanna gripe: have you ever been judged for having donation scars? As if you were a tweaker who somehow hides their habit really really well?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:01 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
It's possible she hit a nerve.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
It also hurts when the needle is pressing against the wall of the vein. It kills me when a tech tries to put the blame on your veins when it is probably their inexperience and ineptitude that causes the problem.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I have donored 7 liters of blood through my life. It's human error. Don't listen to any BS about scar tissue. They normally draw 350 or 325 ml and I apparently had this done over 20 times then. No scar tissue, just little poky signs.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have donored 7 liters of blood through my life. It's human error. Don't listen to any BS about scar tissue. They normally draw 350 or 325 ml and I apparently had this done over 20 times then. No scar tissue, just little poky signs.
Thanks all for the sanity check. I also never heard anything before about scar tissue and never had such pain during the procedure. I do think it was the way it was done. Obviously it wasn't placed right if I got pain whenever I squeezed hard. One answer I was given was not to squeeze or not as hard. I know me and know I bleed quickly so want to help it along, and today, just wanted it over! Next time I am definitely speaking up before they start so they know I don't want a repeat.

As for OT about scars from do acting, never had that questioned but it is so obvious which arm to use. One vein just pops right up and says, "take me!".

Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I donated blood three times a year for several years, but had to stop because my one good arm vein became scarred according to two phlebotomists who took blood for my annual physical exam lab tests. Those donation needles are large and my vein was small, which caused the scarring so I was told by the phlebotomists. It never hurt when the blood bank's needle was inserted, however, so your phlebotomist's error was likely to blame for your pain.

Donating blood always made me feel physically better afterward. Wish I could continue to donate blood to our blood bank. It is a small and relatively easy but significant gift we can make to help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness