Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
If you go you don't have to tell it to him/her later on anymore.
Ahh the dating scene -

Unlike love, herpes is forever.

Don't kiss your date or, umm, perform other oral activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
More on the skin than lip?
I read where if you dab the area with some kind of hydrocortisone/ anti itch cream
It will reduce in size, but it will erupt later but not as much.
Maybe some concealer just for tonight?
Good luck.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
Go on the date anyway. DH & I both get cold sores, better honest now than having to disclose later. Lysine & vitamin C help us. Also those cold sore abreva patches help.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahh the dating scene -

Unlike love, herpes is forever.

Don't kiss your date or, umm, perform other oral activities.
The majority of the population has Herpes I, and the older you get, the higher the percentage of the population (upwards of 70-80% for middle aged and up). People can get it from sharing a straw. Kids can get it from sharing drinks. A lot of people have it and don't know they have it because they don't get the cold sores.

Long story short, Herpes I isn't a big ****ing deal, and the stigma is disgusting.

And no, I've never gotten a cold sore, so I don't have a dog in the hunt.

To the OP: Won't help you for tonight, but look into L-lysine for preventative measures.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Lysine works. I get the Superlysine from Amazon. Take a ton of it when I feel the tingle and one a day otherwise. Seems to keep them away except when I get stressed out or sick.

I rub the area with q Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover, the kind with the acetone. That helps stop it. Then I roll a needle over the blisters and pop them taking care not to get any in my eyes.

I've tried camphor oil. Works okay.

VALTREX® (valacyclovir hydrochloride) works great.

Abreva works so so on me.

I used to get smallpox vaccinations every year. They took every year and they would keep cold sores away for about eleven months. I wonder if shingles vaccine would have the same effect. Not sure I could afford that every year though. Its several hundred dollars.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Cancel the date.
This. The best (and only) way to hide a cold sore is to hide yourself

Old 03-21-2014, 05:34 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
My nephew is a mailman and when he gets a cold sore, he wants to not go to work for fear of people seeing it. If you asked him I know for sure he would say why are you even thinking for one second of still going on this date!? I get them too, and I would say, it depends how well you know the date. If you're trying to impress, cancel. It's not even about the stigma, it's the fact cold sores are just ugly and gross.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
VALTREX® (valacyclovir hydrochloride) works great.

Abreva works so so on me.
Abreva is a waste of a lot of $$$, at least for me. It promises it will heal cold sores faster, but how do you know that? You can't test yourself with and without Abreva during the same outbreak to determine for sure. Valtrex is pretty expensive, and you can only take it after you have an outbreak, I believe. I take Acyclovir, an older generic drug, every day to prevent outbreaks. I don't really care about my cold sores, but my husband has a thing about germs, and he gets freaked out when he sees them. To make him happy, I take this pill. For $4/month, it completely prevents them, and I have no side effects from it.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Abreva is a waste of a lot of $$$, at least for me. It promises it will heal cold sores faster, but how do you know that? You can't test yourself with and without Abreva during the same outbreak to determine for sure. Valtrex is pretty expensive, and you can only take it after you have an outbreak, I believe. I take Acyclovir, an older generic drug, every day to prevent outbreaks. I don't really care about my cold sores, but my husband has a thing about germs, and he gets freaked out when he sees them. To make him happy, I take this pill. For $4/month, it completely prevents them, and I have no side effects from it.
I agree about Abreva. So so. Can't really tell the difference.

I have taken Acyclovir in the past. Seems to work about as well as Valtrex. If i take it as soon as I feel tingling it seems to stop with a few blisters. But lots of Superlysine seems to do the same for me.

A friend takes a low dose of Valtrex every day. Her insurance covers it.

I used to get terrible outbreaks, down my chin, up in my noise. Whenever I was stressed out or was sick. Much better now that I take Superlysine every day.

I also avoid peanuts altogether and chocolate as much as a I can. I think they are high in L-Arginine which supports the virus.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,575 times
Valtrex and Abreva both work very well for me but I take them the minute I feel a cold sore starting. I've had them enough to recognize the early symptoms. Both of these work best when used immediately, later not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness