U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 PM

919 posts, read 2,952,159 times

Advertisements

Is this actually possible? Can it be done? I have set out a few years ago to try to be around more postiive people in my life, but for some reason, I keep attracting people who are hurtful...what am i doing wrong? I think I have opened up to much for one, told too much personal business and I think I am too trusting...I also want everyone to like me and that is not "possible"...it is a journey for sure...esp as a adult survivor of abuse, its been downright horrible at times, can anyone relate?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,443,192 times
Seaharbor,

Can you give more specific examples of your experiences? You're obviously upset or dismayed about something, but I'm not sure what...

greenie

Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Just in general, life...reallly would take me like ten hours to be specific here....I just am very wounded, sensitive person,and my feeilngs get hurt very easily and often times it is the bullies in life who can sense me and then attack...I have talked bout this at length my T who said that when I get stronger they will back off from me, but i wonder when here? I feel as if its been this way my entire lif

i was raised in an abusive enviornment that taught me to doubt myself, my abilties and even my own beliefs, thoughts and values, I have come a long way thanks to a very good therapist who helped me see that i am a product of my environment and that that can change, and i have done the work, I had to get to the roots of my childhood abuse, see what it was, for what it was and then I had to relearn how to reparent myself, its been tough but i have come along way...

I still find myself being bullied however...

Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 55,248 times
You just have to stand up for yourself. I know you don't want to be the jerk they are, but if you don't say anything and accept their behavior, they won't respect you and will continue being that way. Bullies only respect people that are they think are strong enough to fight back.

I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. The fact that you have been abused but want to be a positive person means you are much stronger than
the people who try to bully you. They get off on making people feel bad because it makes them feel superior and strong. They are really just incredibly insecure and pathetic people.

I think the only way it's going to get better is if you work on being more confident, and learning who you should confide in, and be friends in. Those people don't deserve any of your time.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM

and learning who you should confide in, and be friends in

that is my problem..I seem to attract people who are not healthy.

Thanks for your kind response btw!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,443,192 times
Default We're all wounded, sensitive people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Just in general, life...reallly would take me like ten hours to be specific here....I just am very wounded, sensitive person,and my feeilngs get hurt very easily and often times it is the bullies in life who can sense me and then attack...I have talked bout this at length my T who said that when I get stronger they will back off from me, but i wonder when here? I feel as if its been this way my entire lif

i was raised in an abusive enviornment that taught me to doubt myself, my abilties and even my own beliefs, thoughts and values, I have come a long way thanks to a very good therapist who helped me see that i am a product of my environment and that that can change, and i have done the work, I had to get to the roots of my childhood abuse, see what it was, for what it was and then I had to relearn how to reparent myself, its been tough but i have come along way...

I still find myself being bullied however...
Your post is very general. It's really hard to give an advice/thoughts without hearing a specific incident. I mean, we're all wounded sensitive people (sounds like a song, right?), but so what? You have to rise above it and get outside of your own pool of misery.

Sometimes I think a lot of this modern day psychology teaches people to sit around and feel sorry for themselves. Everyone wants to talk about what a crap time they had as a child. Name one person who hasn't gone through some suffering in life? One. Name one.

Here's the secret to climbing our of your misery and torment. Do something kind for another living thing. Reach out to someone else who is suffering. Your experiences can make you bitter or humble. Which do you choose?

Greenie

Old 12-06-2007, 03:10 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,123,630 times
I am wondering where you meet these people? Maybe you have to meet nice people in good environments. I just need to know more. I believe you have to work on yourself more so that your energy will attack kind people. That was just a thought, but it is good you are in therapy if it is working for you.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:23 PM

thank you jessaka...I was severly abused as a child, I am lucky to have come this far, I know that..be well.

I think I need to get offline for awhile. THat is where i have the most problems.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM

Sometimes I think a lot of this modern day psychology teaches people to sit around and feel sorry for themselves. Everyone wants to talk about what a crap time they had as a child. Name one person who hasn't gone through some suffering in life? One. Name one.

I honestly do not know how to even respond to that statement, I think its best not too.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,899,422 times
I actually had it pretty good as a child--not perfect but darn good. I'm not sure todays psychology ALWAYS teaches people to feel sorry for themselves--I call that the "pity-potty". And there is not enough time in a lifetime to sit there! Yes, everyone has gone through some degree of suffering--that's life. Not everyone has had the same kind of suffering you may have had. That is the difference. But there is a way to work through many of these problems--be open and give it a chance!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness