Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Blind can 'see' with Israeli-developed camera system | The Times of Israel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
It sounds so interesting! I have a talking GPS system made for the blind which can really help when I need to go someplace on my own, but it is rather cumbersome since it pairs with my braille notetaker.

Items for the blind are usually ridiculously expensive and are not something that can billed through insurance. This one sounds affordable and I will certainly be investigating the product. My fingers are crossed!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I wish we would stop using words like "visually impaired" when we mean blind. A lot of people (more than you imagine) are visually impaired, as in legally blind, but have varying degrees of usable vision and may or may not require aids for various kinds of activities.

For example, I have RP, and my field of view is smaller than my fist at arms length. But I can read, watch TV, use the computer, the same as a normally sighted person. Most people who know me are unaware that I am visually impaired, unless they see me stumble over a curb or a chair, or think I am ignoring them when they offer to shake hands or hand me something. I am visually impaired to a degree that significantly impacts my lifestyle, but I do not consider myself "blind", and would have no use for the device described by the OP.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
JTUR88~

I hope that you continue to have good usable vision.

Cheers

Melaniej65

Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wish we would stop using words like "visually impaired" when we mean blind. A lot of people (more than you imagine) are visually impaired, as in legally blind, but have varying degrees of usable vision and may or may not require aids for various kinds of activities.

For example, I have RP, and my field of view is smaller than my fist at arms length. But I can read, watch TV, use the computer, the same as a normally sighted person. Most people who know me are unaware that I am visually impaired, unless they see me stumble over a curb or a chair, or think I am ignoring them when they offer to shake hands or hand me something. I am visually impaired to a degree that significantly impacts my lifestyle, but I do not consider myself "blind", and would have no use for the device described by the OP.

I could have written that post. I, too have RP and I'm legally blind but most people don't know that unless I tell them. And the people who know forget until I stumble over a curb, chair, cat, grandkid, etc. My husband will hand me something and I just sit there and then it hits him and he will say, "Here." And I can still read.

Cat

Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My husband will hand me something and I just sit there and then it hits him and he will say, "Here." And I can still read.
Yeah, my wife has to remember that I'm Aspergers, too.

Funniest thing I every stumbled over? Somewhere on our Asia trip, Taiwan or Malaysia, or someplace, we came into a bank from the bright outdoors. Right in the center of the moodily dark lobby was a decorative table, consisting of a ten-foot disk of smoked glass supported on legs or risers. It must have been hilarious to see me doing a header across that table. I've learned to roll like a paratrooper.

The world is full of booby traps like that, while people think the visually impaired's needs are met by a tiny label with the word "men" in braille stuck on the public restroom door.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Yeah, my wife has to remember that I'm Aspergers, too.

Funniest thing I every stumbled over? Somewhere on our Asia trip, Taiwan or Malaysia, or someplace, we came into a bank from the bright outdoors. Right in the center of the moodily dark lobby was a decorative table, consisting of a ten-foot disk of smoked glass supported on legs or risers. It must have been hilarious to see me doing a header across that table. I've learned to roll like a paratrooper.

The world is full of booby traps like that, while people think the visually impaired's needs are met by a tiny label with the word "men" in braille stuck on the public restroom door.

Where I have the hardest time is in crowds. When we are out in public, I hold on to my husband tightly because I am so afraid that I am going to bump into something or someone, knock something over or something like that. I ALWAYS have a ton of bruises on my legs at any given time. I just let people think that I am a klutz.

Cat

Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Personally I thought that "visually impaired" is considered more politically correct than blind nowadays.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Personally I thought that "visually impaired" is considered more politically correct than blind nowadays.
The purpose of political correctness is to conceal unpleasant truths. Like "special children", who are crippled or stupid.

In the real world, "Blind" means having no useful vision and "Visually impaired" means having reduced vision that places some degree of limitation on a person's lifestyle. It is politically correct to blind oneself (no pun intended) to that distinction, which is not constructive. As a member of one of those groups, I have no problem with people using words that describe my condition, but I do have a problem with using buzzwords that do not adequately reflect reality, thinking they will make me feel better about myself. I'm perfectly capable of making a realistic assessment of my condition and dealing with it, as would any psychologically sound person, without having smily faces stamped all over my otherwise dire medical records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness