Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sometimes people aren't sick, it's just allergies.
If a person is coughing and sneezing, they're still spreading germs around, even if the cause was an allergic reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And as an added bonus, other people who see you walking around with gobs of grease hanging out of your nostrils will tend to stay so far away that their germs can't reach you anyway.
Ummmm, NO. Let's not get carried away.

You put a little ointment on a Q-tip and lightly coat the nostril up inside.....not at the opening where it can be seen.

It sounded like a good tip to me, after all, imagine being a stewardess cooped up in an airtight tube all day, everyday with all kinds of people coughing and hacking. I figured she might know what she's talking about.

Taking a few seconds to ointment up before I go to the store {or anywhere else} during the flu season is worth possibly preventing myself from getting sick. No skin off my nose!

And, that isn't all I do. I also keep a little bottle of Purell in my car and put it on my hands as soon as I get out of the store, try to remember not to touch my face, wash my hands well as soon as I get home.....common sense things.

Whatever, I haven't had a cold since I retired in 2006.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:26 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times
Default Sick People

The only person you can control is yourself. So...try to stay as far away from sick people as you can, wash your hands often, and use hand sanitizer when you can't. When I get exposed to someone I know is sick, when I get home I take an immune booster like Air Borne or Zicam. Who knows if it helps, but I haven't been sick yet this winter. Also, make sure you have had your flu and pneumonia vaccines.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What angers me the most are people who have sick leave and refuse to use it when they are sick. Many employers allow sick leave to be converted into vacation time or extra pay. So guess what? Probably over half the clowns my DW works with refuse to use their sick leave and insist on coming to work and giving everyone a cold or worse.

I wish bosses took a more aggressive attitude towards employees like this. They ought to be told "Go home, you are making everyone here sick, I don't care if you wanted to save this and use it like a vacation. Its not why you are given sick leave"

If employees won't use sick leave appropriately, they shouldn't get it.
I agree, and when I was in management, I did tell people to go home.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
The only person you can control is yourself. So...try to stay as far away from sick people as you can, wash your hands often, and use hand sanitizer when you can't. When I get exposed to someone I know is sick, when I get home I take an immune booster like Air Borne or Zicam. Who knows if it helps, but I haven't been sick yet this winter. Also, make sure you have had your flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Zinc absolutely works. My colds are usually knock-me-down-and-stomp-my-butt-into-the-dirt affairs that leave me near death for as long as 21 days. But in the last three years, I've been taking zinc at the very first suggestion of an infection, and my colds have been knocked down to three days of sniffles.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:55 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow just wow ...oh yes by the way where did you get your medical degree since you seem to be on the track to what keeps people from getting sick , I mean really .
Really ... it was my doctor's advice. Really!

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I was in the store just doing some general shopping and this woman was just coughing her head off and Im sure she was spreading hundreds of germs even though she covered her mouth . But I thought of the poor cashier who had to take her money and all the germs that would be on that money . I just wondered how many germs were spread in that store . and after having recurrent pneumonia I hate to get around people coughing their heads off which is how pneumonia is spread and apparently all it takes is one droplet and someone breathing it in to catch the dreaded pneumonia . I just wish sick people would stay home and get well before going out .My husband always says "You were not near her ".
There are some of those sick people who live alone and have no choice but to go out and get what they need at the grocery. Without knowing the situation one cannot just assume the sick person wants to be out or has someone to get something for them.

I am married but my husband is gone a lot so when I am sick if I need something I have to go get it myself. I try to go when the grocery has fewer customers during the day but sometimes it just does not happen.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
While I agree in principle, in the real world it is simply almost impossible to do. If I stayed home every time I had the sniffles I would never be at work, and if I called off every time I was sick I would be fired. That is the reality of life when you are a working class person.

Don

Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
I think the place that it bothers me the most is when I go out to dinner. Just tonight my DH and I went out to eat and there was a mother and her 3 children sitting at a nearby table and all were coughing like crazy! I kept envisioning all these little germ particles floating my way with every cough (and it was cough after cough)! It just didn't make for a very pleasant dinner experience :-( If I was sick like that I would get take out rather than subject nearby diners (and the restaurant staff) to my germs. And this was 4 people!!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
I was in the store just doing some general shopping and this woman was just coughing her head off and Im sure she was spreading hundreds of germs even though she covered her mouth . But I thought of the poor cashier who had to take her money and all the germs that would be on that money . I just wondered how many germs were spread in that store . and after having recurrent pneumonia I hate to get around people coughing their heads off which is how pneumonia is spread and apparently all it takes is one droplet and someone breathing it in to catch the dreaded pneumonia . I just wish sick people would stay home and get well before going out .My husband always says "You were not near her ".
I agree with you 100%. But here's the scenario. You're a stay-at-home wife & mother. Your cupboards are bare. You'd intended to go shopping today - that was your plan all along. You're one of those people who buys only what your family will eat, makes it last as long as possible, and combines shopping trips to save gas and time. Kudos to you. However, today was "shopping day". Last night you started feeling rotten and today you're hacking your brains out with a 101 fever. The cupboards are still bare and you have a family to feed. Your husband could not afford to take off from work to do the errands that you normally do, for whatever reason - maybe you really need the money, maybe his company is in a precarious situation and he doesn't want to do anything that'll make his boss want to lay him off when next someone must be pink-slipped - who knows. Either way he couldn't stay home to help you. You are physically capable of going to the store to stock up - you aren't THAT debilitated by this illness. Your kids are too young to do the shopping themselves, and your husband will be beat by the time he gets home (either that, or the store will be closed). He'll have to go to work tomorrow too, so it's either YOU go to the store when you can, today, or everyone will be buying fast food for a while... so much for saving money.

What would YOU do?

I know that I would go to the store. Now, I'm a guy. I really hate being down and out with illness. However, life goes on, you know? I rarely have to go to the store when I'm feeling that rotten - my wife can go in my stead if my presence isn't needed, because we work together and generally there is time every day when errands can be run. But what about people who go to work sick? What about kids who go to school sick? Let's face it, if you call off from work, you may lose a day's pay. If companies don't want their employees coming to work sick, then they have to do better with providing paid sick days. How about school? Most of the time, kids go to school sick because their parents can't afford to take a day off from work to look after them at home. But yet, the two-earner family is such a wonderful thing, isn't it? So liberating it is, when the wife can make her own money too and not have to rely on the husband's money! Give me a break. I was a sickly kid, my mom was a stay-at-home mom, and my dad never once had to take a day off from work when I was sick... for one good reason... Mom was home to take care of me.

If we want to stop people from going to work / school / public places when sick, then we have to put a drastic end to the American "rat race" mentality, and we have to work as hard as we can to build up the American economy. Lately all we've been doing is tearing the economy down. "Obamacare"? Now people have to spend up to another 10% of their income, which may have been all the extra cash they had if they were lucky, to buy useless health insurance? And it's only gonna get worse! "Made In China"? How about we refuse to buy that stuff so that it can be made HERE and provide jobs for OUR people? And then on top of that, we have the relentless American media machine manipulating our minds to make us think that we need to buy the newest, shiniest, hottest [whatever]... so that the big-money corporations behind the ads can make even bigger money.

Here's the simplest thing I can say. People will stay home when they're sick, if they feel that they can. Nobody EVER wants to go ANYWHERE when sick. Every sick person out there would rather stay home and do whatever he/she can to avoid catching something else on top of what they already have, as well as recover quickly, even if the sickness doesn't make you feel rotten. We need to change our society and our system so that sick people feel like they can stay home when sick, and neither they nor their families will be any worse off because of it.

Until that change happens, and especially if you (the general "you") are voting for entitlement-mentality economy-destroying politicians, you might want to load up on Vitamin C when you go out to the store or the office because those sick people who can't stay home are going to be out there with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness