Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
There are a few smoke free apartments where I live sort of . Most are just designated no smoking apartments inside buildings that allow smoking. That doenst really help much .

The problem is that smoke doesn't stay in one place it travels and affects the health of others. A smoker has the right to damage their own health but do they have the right to make others sick? Unfortunately most smokers don't understand how unpleasant and unhealthy their smoke is to others. They are used to it and don't even notice it so don't care about smoking around anyone else.

I know it's hard to be told what to do but how else can a non smoker protect themselves from second hand smoke ?
then, if there are smoke free apartments, I guess I have to ask you, what is your point? Are you saying all apartments should be non smoking? BTW, most smokers do understand and most smokers I know (which are few anymore) do their best to stay away from non smokers. Of course I have seen a lot of non smokers that can be pretty rude, just like some smokers can be. BTW, yes your moms perfume might have caused someone who is allergic to the fragrance to have an asthma attack or worse. I have a friend that can't even be in another room from someone wearing perfume or a scented candle. It is a two way street: smokers need to do what they can to stay clear of non smokers, but non smokers need to realize they do not run the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:15 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
So what would you do about single family homes which are close together? Pass some law saying you can't smoke on your own property because your neighbors can smell your smoke outside? You know what? I think you non-smokers should try outright ban the sale of tobacco products. A true "smoke-free" society. Oh, wait isn't that what happened with Prohibition? Where is that today?

What about the new science that also talks about 3rd hand smoking? No smokers allowed in society where others can smell the smoke on your HAIR, CLOTHING?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
then, if there are smoke free apartments, I guess I have to ask you, what is your point? Are you saying all apartments should be non smoking? BTW, most smokers do understand and most smokers I know (which are few anymore) do their best to stay away from non smokers. Of course I have seen a lot of non smokers that can be pretty rude, just like some smokers can be. BTW, yes your moms perfume might have caused someone who is allergic to the fragrance to have an asthma attack or worse. I have a friend that can't even be in another room from someone wearing perfume or a scented candle. It is a two way street: smokers need to do what they can to stay clear of non smokers, but non smokers need to realize they do not run the country.
This is the problem right here; the anti-smokers (distinguished from the non smokers - I'm a non smoker in that I don't smoke, but I don't consider my preferences to be the only "right" ones that should be enforced on everyone, they're my responsibility to see to, not the world in general), the anti-smokers want to run the lives of everyone who doesn't share their preference. That's their addiction, control over what others do. Maybe we should make that illegal? Of course, then we'd have to ban legislators . . . hmmmm.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
I'm a non-smoker and do not try to run other people's lives. I don't care if other people smoke. Cigarette smoke does permeate everything it touches and is impossible to get out of items that can't be washed or dry cleaned.

I believe that people should have the right to smoke in their own homes if they want. I have the option to not live there or visit there, if I want. A good A/C unit and filters should stop most of it from leeching into adjacent apartments. Banning cigarettes will not do anything other than make them a black market item and, as I've posted in other threads, I would rather for REAL criminals be in jails and prisons. I would rather all murderers, rapists and pedophiles to be locked up than anybody whose only crime is harming themselves.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I have nothing against smokers just their smoking. Studies have shown it affects my health so why would I want to be forced to breathe it? The honest truth is that many non smokers think that smokers simply have no concern for the health of others. They just don't get it. Why would they want to make others sick ?

As for medical marijuana that is a different issue but I personally feel that breathing anything into your lungs is not the best idea and that it should be taken in herb form for the health benefits instead.
I am not questioning second hand smoke and the side affects, but I will point something out to you: we can all find studies that support our views if we try hard enough.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 AM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
California passed a smokefree housing law back in 2011:

http://www.hcd.ca.gov/codes/rt/Under...sing%20Law.pdf
This is all well and good but guess what? It doesn't ban marijuana smoke. You can still live in
a "smoke-free" building and choke on the marijuana fumes each and every day.

Also I can assure you that tobacco smoking is tolerated in these "smoke-free" buildings. If you complain, the landlord will simply shrug and say "what do you want me to do?"

Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is the problem right here; the anti-smokers (distinguished from the non smokers - I'm a non smoker in that I don't smoke, but I don't consider my preferences to be the only "right" ones that should be enforced on everyone, they're my responsibility to see to, not the world in general), the anti-smokers want to run the lives of everyone who doesn't share their preference. That's their addiction, control over what others do. Maybe we should make that illegal? Of course, then we'd have to ban legislators . . . hmmmm.
you are right, there is a difference between non smokers and anti smoker: I am a non smoker, I can't believe I did smoke for so many years, I can't stand the smell of it, but I would never try and tell someone else how to live or push my views, as the only right view down anyone's throat.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM

147 posts, read 215,519 times
We live in a smoke free building (inside) now and it is nice. The only rule breakers got kicked out at the beginning of the month after many complaints so we are now smoke free again. My husband is a smoker and so are some of the neighbors but they all must go outside. I like it!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
The vast majority of apartment buildings in my area are non-smoking. In fact, it is quite common to ban smoking on the property entirely, so nobody is hanging out just outside the building wafting smoke into open windows and flicking butts everywhere. All public indoor areas are also smoke-free by state law (although I think smoke shops are exempt). I don't think anyone really expects to be allowed to smoke indoors these days--at least around here.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:34 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to run anyone's life , if they are high on drugs or drunk I don't care. I don't care if they are gay or having an adulterous affair or what religion they are. I simply want to protect my own health and the health of my daughter nothing more. I feel firm on this . Smokers are wrong because their smoke harms others. All the arguments against banning smoking can't get past that issue. I want more options for those who don't want to be forced to breathe second hand smoke

I don't know if the ventilation system can really get all the smoke out. I somehow doubt it. Second hand smoke gives me breathing trouble and makes me feel sick . I hate it. My daughter starts to cough even walking past a smoker. The idea of paying to live in a place that allows it doesn't appeal to me.

I agree I probably can't do anything about a neighbors smoke if we live next to each other in houses except learn who my neighbors are before buying , ( actually anyone should do that for a number of reasons but that is a whole other story ) I don't really know what to say about that issue it's a tough one especially if the neighbor is a chain smoker who smokes all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness