Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times

Advertisements

Well, she certainly looks like something gave her something.

Quote:
A Washington woman has come under fire over claims her PTSD caused by online harassment and Twitter trolls is equal to that of military veterans.

Melody Hensley was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder 16 months ago following online abuse, which she says is the result of her being an outspoken feminist and atheist.

She caused upset to many military veterans and their families and friends when she claimed her PTSD from Twitter trolls was as bad as mental anguish suffered by those who do active duty.
Read more: Woman claims she has PTSD from Twitter and cyberstalking | Mail Online

As someone who suffered a mild form of this, it always gets under my skin to read of phonies like this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:35 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I suffer from diagnosed PTSD from cancer and it drives me batty when the military seems to think that they have a monopoly on the illness.

Online harassment is awful and absolutely can cause PTSD. In particular, some of the "men's rights" groups (not to be mistaken with legitimate organizations supporting men) have been known to target women by not only sending threatening or harassing messages online, hacking their computers, publicizing their movements, and other truly terrifying situations. It's not just "boo hoo, people are mean on the internet" but that people on the internet are targeting you, publicizing your home address and phone number, sometimes even harassing your employer.

You don't know which threats are legitimate or not. I've been in a position to receive a flood of negative comments, hate mail, and, yes, death threats for an organization I work for. While none of the messages were targeted at me specifically, nor do I really think any of the threats were legitimate, I still get nightmares. I wouldn't call it PTSD at that level, but its beyond unnerving. Being cyberstalked is a whole different level.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I suffer from diagnosed PTSD from cancer and it drives me batty when the military seems to think that they have a monopoly on the illness.

Online harassment is awful and absolutely can cause PTSD. In particular, some of the "men's rights" groups (not to be mistaken with legitimate organizations supporting men) have been known to target women by not only sending threatening or harassing messages online, hacking their computers, publicizing their movements, and other truly terrifying situations. It's not just "boo hoo, people are mean on the internet" but that people on the internet are targeting you, publicizing your home address and phone number, sometimes even harassing your employer.

You don't know which threats are legitimate or not. I've been in a position to receive a flood of negative comments, hate mail, and, yes, death threats for an organization I work for. While none of the messages were targeted at me specifically, nor do I really think any of the threats were legitimate, I still get nightmares. I wouldn't call it PTSD at that level, but its beyond unnerving. Being cyberstalked is a whole different level.
I truly regret what you have suffered due to stupidity.

I WAS NOT indicating that only veterans can suffer from PTSD. It's very name "Post Traumatic" indicates that anyone can suffer it after being involved in a terrible situation.

I WAS upset by another seemingly inane misuse of the condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness