Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times

Advertisements

My friend is a doctor and she will not eat anything that is heated in plastic. It's when the plastic is exposed to high temperatures that stuff gets in your food. You really shouldn't drink bottled water that's been left in the car, use ANY tupperwear in the microwave, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
I bet you she also regularly consumes such chemicals as high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate, tbhq, bht, yellows #5 and 40, nitrites/nitrates, etc. Again, there aren't any of the alleged chemicals in plastic and most doctors, as well as numerous studies, will say the same thing. It's one of these "email forwards" that wasn't true to begin with (like the one with plastic being one molecule away from margarine) that spread so much and SEEMED to be credible, that even people of supposedly higher intelligence began to believe it.

The only plastics you should be concerned about microwaving are ones which were not designed for micrwave use since they can melt into the food. It really amazes me that people pinpoint the plastic issue when microwaving food which contains many more potentially harmful chemicals is probably much more danerous.

Last edited by groove1; 12-11-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
something tells me you work in the plastics industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I bet you she also regularly consumes such chemicals as high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate, tbhq, bht, yellows #5 and 40, nitrites/nitrates, etc. Again, there aren't any of the alleged chemicals in plastic and most doctors, as well as numerous studies, will say the same thing. It's one of these "email forwards" that wasn't true to begin with (like the one with plastic being one molecule away from margarine) that spread so much and SEEMED to be credible, that even people of supposedly higher intelligence began to believe it.

The only plastics you should be concerned about microwaving are ones which were not designed for micrwave use since they can melt into the food. It really amazes me that people pinpoint the plastic issue when microwaving food which contains many more potentially harmful chemicals is probably much more danerous.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Interesting the Chemical from plastic PFOA or Perfluorooctanoic Acid (approved in 1967) is found in the blood of most americans and now the EPA and the FDA are looking into this chemical and its interaction on Human Health.

Anyway you won't catch me heating plastics in my food...

http://www.foodqualitynews.com/news/...cal-phthalates

Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Here's another story from the Denver Post about Teflon being found in the Blood of nearly every American and most newborn infants in the USA.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5992225

Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,408 times
Oh gosh, do I really want to read this???!!! Ok, I will!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:21 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
I won't use Teflon either. I cook in cast iron and pyrex only. It is bad enough that meats are packed in plastic, which I take off and repackage when I get home.

I don't think groove works for the plastic industry.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM

I do not work for the plastics industry. I actually work for the largest foodservice management company in the world.

Regarding Teflon, you probably do use it. Ovens, toaster ovens, toasters, hair dryers, clothes irons, the burner drip catch trays on your stove , clothes dryers, even some clothes are made of or coated with Teflon. Teflon is generally bad only if burnt; however I don't cook with it except in the instances where it is the only option like in some of the mentioned appliances. I have a small parrot and overheated Teflon has killed many birds. I much prefer cooking with stainless steel or cast iron with olive oil anyway.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
We got rid of our microwave more than 10 years ago. We missed the convenience of it for a week or two, then we got used to doing without it. It slowed us down and helped us to to be more conscious while preparing our food.

Even when we did use a microwave, the concept of heating something in a plastic container was totally repelling. We always used glass / pyrex. I can't imagine putting something from a plastic container heated in a microwave into my body. Just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies. Do people really do that?

blessings....Franco

Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I won't use Teflon either. I cook in cast iron and pyrex only. It is bad enough that meats are packed in plastic, which I take off and repackage when I get home.

I don't think groove works for the plastic industry.
A lot of natural foods stores and butcher shops still use paper to package fresh meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness