Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times

Advertisements

My 42 y/o wife has been having sleeping problems for the last 1.5 yrs. Not sure what the source is but at night time, her anxiety starts to increase as she starts thinking about the inability to fall asleep and this just exacerbates the situation. She's been taking Ambien at low doses but feels she's getting 'addicted' and doesn't want to rely on meds for sleep.

Anyone experience similar issues? Any suggestions, ideas, solutions, etc. etc. etc

It's really impacting her mental and physical health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:29 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
My 42 y/o wife has been having sleeping problems for the last 1.5 yrs. Not sure what the source is but at night time, her anxiety starts to increase as she starts thinking about the inability to fall asleep and this just exacerbates the situation. She's been taking Ambien at low doses but feels she's getting 'addicted' and doesn't want to rely on meds for sleep.

Anyone experience similar issues? Any suggestions, ideas, solutions, etc. etc. etc

It's really impacting her mental and physical health.
Yea, that is common. I am the queen of poor sleep - lol! What has helped me are magnesium (taken in small doses throughout the day) and at night, melatonin, valerian and hops. I also make a cup of chamomile tea to which I add a tablespoon of gelatin - this REALLY helps. I am sleeping much better now.

I also want to ask does you wife exercise regularly? Because this will help immensely if she currently is not. Even just a good walking program will help.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I can't recommend anything because I've had sleep problems for so many years. After having three sleep studies, I think they are a waste of time; however, they might be helpful to some.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
Is there other symptoms of health problems besides difficulty in sleeping? She should seek doctor if prolong sleeplessness, it could be related to stress or medical issues she may not be aware of, such as hyper thyroid can cause sleep problems.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Thanks for the replies all.
Exercise: She's not on a regular routine (in fact we were discussing it this morning) and while she's not heavy, she's heavier than she'd like to be.
Stress: she's a stay at home mom for 2 kids which brings it's own level of stress.
depression: while not on any meds, I think the combination of being tired, not working out, being a little unhappy with her self image, etc is contributing to some mild depression.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yea, that is common. I am the queen of poor sleep - lol! What has helped me are magnesium (taken in small doses throughout the day) and at night, melatonin, valerian and hops. I also make a cup of chamomile tea to which I add a tablespoon of gelatin - this REALLY helps. I am sleeping much better now.

I also want to ask does you wife exercise regularly? Because this will help immensely if she currently is not. Even just a good walking program will help.
I was also going to recommend magnesium. It has helped me and many people are magnesium deficient. If you are going to try it, make sure you get magnesium malate or magnesium citrate and avoid magnesium oxide as it is not well absorbed (and therefore is a waste of money).

I would also consider maybe getting a saliva cortisol test done; she may have adrenal fatigue and as a result cortisol spikes at night keeping her awake instead of in the morning to help her wake up as it should. A chiropractor or naturopath could help her get things back in line on that front, as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
Some of the things that aids in sleep, drink a glass of milk, red wine, camomile or lavender tea. Lavender essential oils or pillow spray really helps to soothe, listen to soft music, a nice massage etc. might be helpful.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What has helped me are magnesium (taken in small doses throughout the day) and at night, melatonin, valerian and hops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I was also going to recommend magnesium. It has helped me and many people are magnesium deficient. If you are going to try it, make sure you get magnesium malate or magnesium citrate and avoid magnesium oxide as it is not well absorbed (and therefore is a waste of money).
I also recommend Magnesium Citrate, Valerian Root, and Melatonin.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Some people dont need as much sleep as others for some 4 hours will do it for others 8-10 hours are whats needed, in this case she might have reached a point physically where she just doesnt need as much sleep as she used to,
How much sleep does she think she needs and how much is she actually getting?
If she's up in the middle of the night and wondering what to do turn her on to CD forums

Old 05-10-2014, 09:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
For me to be able to fall asleep and not toss and turn, I need to have a quiet evening before going to bed. Have been that way as long as I can remember. If my evening is hectic (loud noise from tv, music; or even from an evening out), it's very difficult for me to 'gear down' and relax sufficiently in order to fall asleep.

I used to try the supplements many have recommended but they were useless.

When I was married it was difficult to attain, but now that I'm going it solo I can easily have a quiet evening and not infringe on anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness