Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:35 AM

696 posts, read 907,709 times

Advertisements

I am doing physical therapy for my knees I have patala femoral pain syndrome and lateral patelar tilt. I asked my PT is better arch support would help my knees, becasue my current shoes do not have very good arch support and he said it would not help and that flat feet do not cause knee pain (which is contrary to everything I have read) and that he has flat feet himself.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-10-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I am doing physical therapy for my knees I have patala femoral pain syndrome and lateral patelar tilt. I asked my PT is better arch support would help my knees, becasue my current shoes do not have very good arch support and he said it would not help and that flat feet do not cause knee pain (which is contrary to everything I have read) and that he has flat feet himself.
I think your PT is more up to date than you may realize.

But why not call your orthopedic and get her/his opinion?

This info might be interesting to you...

http://www.lowerbackpain-help.com/ar...ort_myths.html

Arch Supports Aren't Recommended Any Longer

Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Top Ten Arch Support Myths

the first link you posted supports my position that arch support is good so I don't get your point, the second one contradicts its self multiple times and is written by a chrioproactor and my doctor said chiropractors are no good.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,840,081 times
Quote:
the first link you posted supports my position that arch support is good so I don't get your point, the second one contradicts its self multiple times and is written by a chrioproactor and my doctor said chiropractors are no good.
If you know all the answers, and you're not willing to consider someone else's opinion, then why did you post?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you know all the answers, and you're not willing to consider someone else's opinion, then why did you post?

they didn't offer an opinion, much like you didn't with your thoughtless post.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
I'm a rebel...I would get a mild arch support from REI, sports store, or
a simple Dr. Scholl's.
Me? I would also keep my receipts...in case they made
something worse.
Good luck with this.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,840,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Top Ten Arch Support Myths

Woah - an opinion. I agree with it. That's MY opinion. I also agree with the opinion that you should call your ortho and get his/her opinion, and not rely exclusively on a physical therapist, who is not a licensed physician.

That's my opinion.

It is in agreement with lovesMountains' opinion, which you dismissed. So - the two opinions that were offered, you consider invalid and not opinions.

See, I was going to agree with lovesMountains in a post, but then I read your outright dismissal and invalidation of her opinion, and that prompted me to wonder why you posted at all. And that's why I asked the question.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,029,608 times
Quote:
, the second one contradicts its self multiple times and is written by a chiropractor and my doctor said chiropractors are no good.
Doctors tend to not like Chiropractors, but because one doctor said chiropractors are no good they all are no good and are useless? They are not MD's by any means but they do go to four extra years of school. If you have flat feet and issues with you knees back etc.. I 100% recommend you see a chiropractor.

Why do doctors and PTs not like chiropractors often? Because they take away business once people realize there are other ways to go. I know multiple people, including people in my family who were told to do a year or two of PT, and then told they would need major back surgery by great doctors. They went to good chiropractors and never needed to see a MD or PT about their back or knee issues again in their life. And No surgery.

So as someone who has flat feet I highly recommend trying out a chiropractor for a month or two, instead of just taking one MD's word. Give me a chiropractor's word over a PT any day.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
sigh - that's what I get for trying to be helpful I guess.

I accidentally put the second link I found on top of the first link, that's why it seems strange I guess. I thought the explanation in that chiropractors link about why you shouldn't use arch supports made sense and might interest you if it was something you'd never heard before.

Basically, my point was, there is apparently several schools of thought on whether or not arch supports help knees, so

1) ask your orthopedist what he/she recommends

2) be aware that there are different schools of thought but that doesn't make your PT wrong.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Doctors tend to not like Chiropractors, but because one doctor said chiropractors are no good they all are no good and are useless? They are not MD's by any means but they do go to four extra years of school. If you have flat feet and issues with you knees back etc.. I 100% recommend you see a chiropractor.

Why do doctors and PTs not like chiropractors often? Because they take away business once people realize there are other ways to go. I know multiple people, including people in my family who were told to do a year or two of PT, and then told they would need major back surgery by great doctors. They went to good chiropractors and never needed to see a MD or PT about their back or knee issues again in their life. And No surgery.

So as someone who has flat feet I highly recommend trying out a chiropractor for a month or two, instead of just taking one MD's word. Give me a chiropractor's word over a PT any day.

you sound like a chiropractor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness