Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

I would try acupuncture first. I first started acupuncture last year when I had a shoulder injury that would not heal and caused me great pain. My doctor worked wonders, it healed and I am pain free, not only in the shoulder but my back (I have scoliosis and stenosis) and elsewhere. My doctor is trained in traditional Chinese medicine and also performs special bodywork called "tuina", and it is amazing. Even going weekly (which I do because of my other chronic issues) it is MUCH cheaper and easier than any surgery. I would say give it a shot before surgery, to me surgery is really a last resort, and is never guaranteed.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM

688 posts, read 1,100,954 times
I had a severely torn left arm rotator cuff in 2005 as the result of a fall, very limited use of my arm pre surgery - could not lift it above my waist, could not stick it out the car window (could not go to drive up ATMs, mailboxes). It was described by surgeon as one of the worst tears he had seen. 3 months of twice weekly rehab was tough, but there is no doubt that I regained most of my normal, pre tear range of motion, and the pain is a thing of the past (I don't remember having trouble with pain after the rehab which is painful in and of itself). I would do it again, absolutely.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
A SLAP tear isn't a rotator cuff tear, its a labral tear, completely different surgery and recovery then a rotator cuff repair.

So while these posts are nice, they don't really apply to what you will be going through...

Typically pretty quick recovery after shoulder arthroscopy for SLAP repair or debridement.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
I have had three rotator cuff surgeries. Two were back to back( I retore it a few weeks into physical therapy). I am currently into my 4th month after my third surgery. Yes, it is painful and yes, I slept in a chair for 7 weeks and yes, the sling gets old real fast, but to live in constant pain is not a true option. For me the key was to find a really good physical therapy program that follows the program laid out for your recovery. Generally between six to eight months and you can do most activities again but it does take up to a full year to regain full range of ,Orion and strength.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:44 PM

708 posts, read 823,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have a type of rotator cuff tear called a SLAP tear. It is a minor tear but hurts often. Tried physical therapy with some improvement but not a lot. At this point my choice is to either have surgery or live with it.

Anyone had this repair done? Was it worth it? Recovery time? How painful?

Thanks
2x4

You should look into the rotatorreliever or make your own version. The night time brace may not help but the weighted ball part of the kit could be of use. I bet your physical theraphy didn't incude anything like it. I'm not sure what trye of tear I had but it was about 4 or 5 years ago now and Ive been lifting weights since I recovered from using that exact excercise. You can read someone asking about it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness