Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,939,659 times

Advertisements

Jessaka wrote:
I don't remember falling to sleep during the day until this last year. My older friends take daily naps, and I am so much against it since it makes me think I am old.
The Mexican tradition of the Siesta makes perfect sense to me. I've been taking an afternoon nap almost everyday since my 20's. I acquired the habit during my Air Force days while stationed in the hot, muggy climate of the Phillipine Islands. It has never made me feel old...just the opposite in fact. My afternoon nap is refreshing and energizing. Release the negative association and give it a whirl. You might like it! The company I work for, has numerous lounge areas where employess can kick back, nod off, and enjoy a few winks during break time.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,112,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I don't think I need a physical. I think it's just getting older and not having enough leisure time. I'm not a fan of running to the doctor for little things. I do think I need to kick the sweets and drink coconut oil.
Everyone needs a physical from time to time. It's not the same as "running to the doctor for little things." It's to see if that blood pressure is beginning to rise (and it will, sooner or later) It's to see if all the electrolyte thingies are in a good range, (they aren't always) Is lung and liver function normal? Or is it beginning to get impaired? Maybe you are border line diabetic?

But the main idea is to have a base line of information about what's normal for you so that if and when things start to go wrong, your doctor will have a good idea of what has gotten out of whack rather than just guess.

And just to scare you a little, sometimes the first clue as to certain types of cancer, start with a feeling of being "tired."

Age can be a relative thing. You are still quite young to be feeling "old"
Do yourself a favor and get a good checkup. Aches and Pains can come at any age, but feeling old...shouldn't.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,310,670 times
You know RedNeck, I just remembered something. For years I had been meditating and falling to sleep. Those were my naps. I don't meditate anymore.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,285,841 times
Greenie,
I'm just a few years older than you are and my opinion is for you to continue and eat chocolate.

On the more serious side, I think it's this time of year. We seem to do more than we realize. I think your aches and pains may be more mental or I should say coming from your mental state of mind, especially this time of year. Stress causes physical pain.
I normally don't have aches and pains but it seems like I have myself some kind of knee problem now, so I think it has to do with stress and this time of year.
You're far from old. Doing the coconut oil like Jessaka suggested is a good idea too. I usually do the same thing daily except I take it by itself.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,372,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Greenie,
I'm just a few years older than you are and my opinion is for you to continue and eat chocolate.

On the more serious side, I think it's this time of year. We seem to do more than we realize. I think your aches and pains may be more mental or I should say coming from your mental state of mind, especially this time of year. Stress causes physical pain.
I normally don't have aches and pains but it seems like I have myself some kind of knee problem now, so I think it has to do with stress and this time of year.
You're far from old. Doing the coconut oil like Jessaka suggested is a good idea too. I usually do the same thing daily except I take it by itself.
I'm driving across country tomorrow. I bought some healthy foods, and I'm going to a nice spa tonight before I leave.

Jessaka,

Is it possible for the mind to overcome aches and pains?

Greenie

Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,598,816 times
I always find regular exercise and keeping my weight down helps with energy. Also have some arthritic pains and take several supplements which seem to help. Do you take a basic multi vit for women?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I always find regular exercise and keeping my weight down helps with energy. Also have some arthritic pains and take several supplements which seem to help. Do you take a basic multi vit for women?
Too many vitamins make me feel sick. I take what I can and forgo the rest.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Finally. The voice of wisdom.

I have all my answers now.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,939,659 times
Jessaka wrote:
You know RedNeck, I just remembered something. For years I had been meditating and falling to sleep. Those were my naps. I don't meditate anymore.
Come to think of it, I had some of my best naps ever WHILE meditating. My meditation experience is more akin to medisleep! I spent far more time in the sleep realm than I did in the spiritual realm.

Greenie...Remember to take your naps along the way!

blessings....Franco

Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,285,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'm driving across country tomorrow. I bought some healthy foods, and I'm going to a nice spa tonight before I leave.

Jessaka,

Is it possible for the mind to overcome aches and pains?

Greenie
You answered your question when you said you were going to a spa this evening.
Nothing like being pampered, especially with a massage to get your mind relaxed.
I'm a massage therapist and get a massage every 2 weeks and reflexology in between.
It does help calm the mind.
So does chocolate, but I try not to eat too much of it.
Have a good and safe trip tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness