U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM

240 posts, read 372,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I don't think I need a physical. I think it's just getting older and not having enough leisure time. I'm not a fan of running to the doctor for little things. I do think I need to kick the sweets and drink coconut oil.
Hi Green,

This works, I know from practicing what I preach. 1st, no sugar, eliminate bad white processed carbs. I walk 4 to 6 miles a day. Eat salmon and blueberries and strawberries. Non-fat stoneyfield yogurt with a few walnuts in it. At least 8 glasses of water. Apple and a orange. I always have breakfast, mostly homemade oatmeal. Make sure your breads first ingredient says whole wheat or whole oat or some whole grain. Eat as many veggies as you like. Oh, I forgot don't forget to get olive oil into your diet. I also notice a big difference on stretching everyday. It makes all the difference. I swear it works. Even in a few days with these changes you'll feel different.

Last edited by bingo08; 12-12-2007 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM

7,295 posts, read 17,559,389 times
I'm not a big fan of doctors or drugs either.
I realize drugs need to be taken, maybe for certain ailments or temporarily but there's always a natural way to go.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM

10,192 posts, read 22,673,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What medications do I take?

OMG. Does everyone take medications nowadays? That is a scary question.

I take no medications. I drink my coffee in the a.m. Sometimes I have a cup of tea in the afternoon. I've eaten half a box of See's chocolates in the last few days and bitten into the other half to see what's inside. (They are my chocolates, so I can do this.)

These are my only "medications."
The sugars in the chocolates will make you more tired. But it's temporary.
I posted this before reading the rest of the responses. So just ignore it if you want.

Last edited by PinkString; 12-13-2007 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: burp

Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
bingo, I wish I were doing everything that you are doing. If I were I would lose weight.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,887,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
My grandmother lived into her late 90's, essentially healthy & active until the day she died. When I aksed her the secret of her longevity, she replied, avoid doctors as much as possible.

As she got older, she had her share of aches and pains, but she refused the regular check-ups. She said, of course they're gonna find something wrong. When you go looking for something wrong you'll always find something. They'll always give you something to worry about.

It worked for her and it seems to be working for me too.

blessings...Franco
Hmmmmmmmmmm...must be something to this. My grandmother lived to be 96 and my father lived to 92. Both had the same thinking---avoid Doctors!! My grandmother told me to learn to listen to my body--it will tell you what you need. There is a lot of truth in that. It seems many people don't know how to "tune in" to what their body is telling them. I'm working on that myself. She also told me to eat until I am "satisfied" no more. She was still shoveling snow at 90 and had her own teeth. Not bad. I hope I can do as well!! My father was of the same thinking as my grandmother. One thing that still amazes me is that my dad ate 2 eggs, bacon and pancakes with butter every morning for as long as I can remember. Did not take any medications..a couple of vitamins and drank his glass of O.J. daily.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,444,833 times
I think there's some truth in the avoid doctors advice. Previous generations weren't conditioned to go to doctors and ask for the latest prescription drug they saw advertised on TV and in magazines, for one thing.

The only doctors I go to are eye doctors--wouldn't be able to find my way around without a white cane otherwise. At my last eye exam, the doctor seemed to find it strange that a 51 year old woman _wasn't_ taking any prescription medications.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 AM

7,766 posts, read 17,217,247 times
Ellise wrote:
the doctor seemed to find it strange that a 51 year old woman _wasn't_ taking any prescription medications.
That just goes to show how pervasive ( and NORMAL ) dugs have become in our society. A person is considered somewhat weird for being healthy, but totally NORMAL as a drug user. How perverted is that?

I remember listening to a Tony Robbins tape many years ago. He related a conversation that he overheard in a country club locker room. An executive who worked out regularly at the gym was taunted for being an exercise nut, while another executive who just had a heart atttack was considered normal. Tony commented something along this line of thought. How weird is it to be considered totally normal spending $50,000 on a heart attack, yet someone who spends time and money working out to be healthy is thought of as a weirdo.

blessings....Franco

Old 12-14-2007, 08:42 AM

7,295 posts, read 17,559,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I think there's some truth in the avoid doctors advice. Previous generations weren't conditioned to go to doctors and ask for the latest prescription drug they saw advertised on TV and in magazines, for one thing.

The only doctors I go to are eye doctors--wouldn't be able to find my way around without a white cane otherwise. At my last eye exam, the doctor seemed to find it strange that a 51 year old woman _wasn't_ taking any prescription medications.
I know what you mean. I'm 48 and there's been several people that have commented and made it sound like I was not normal because I don't take medications. The latest was a breast surgeon I went to a couple months ago. He thought it was amazing. He asked me twice, 'you mean to tell me that you're not on any meds at all?' He sounded surprised.
How crazy is that?
Back in the 60's and 70's, one was considered weird for trying or being strung out on drugs and now I see it's the normal thing to do.
I'll stick to my chocolate, every once in awhile. It gives me a good kind of high and stay away from the docs as much as I can.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM

10,192 posts, read 22,673,870 times
Talking about meds...I made a purchase at a local CVS drug store recently. They were doing a promotion for every prescription we would transfer to their pharmacy, they would give us $25 in gift certificates. When the receipt was printed up, there were 5 offers! Like that's normal to have that many prescriptions! Yikes. lol
I told the lady "oh well, i don't have any prescriptions, so i guess i don't qualify." She looked at me like I was crazy.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 PM

13,614 posts, read 22,145,681 times
LOL, you younguns in your forties talking about being old..I am old enough to be mostof you kids mother..I hate going to the doctor once a year for a check up, and all those tests I take vitamin b12 and calcium+ if I think about it...I did take a flu shot and a pneumonia shot last year...I don't think about being old often, unless I look in the mirror I do the same things now that I have always done, just takes longer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness