U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM

76 posts, read 242,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
lol. I have often heard people say that that is why they lived to be old.
lol i have seen this as well. its a bit scary though. people use pain and illness as a way to rate their state of health. my job is to help people understand that aches and pains are not the first stage... if you keep balance.. you will remain healthy. doctors may be needed, but they focus on symptoms. this is why i chose to call my website, and practice "my health and wellness coach"... i think we all want to be in the best health we can be. if we monitor our biological functions, and adjust our diet, exercies, supplements, and relaxation time accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'm 44, and I feel like I get tired so easy now.

After a day of running errands, doing laundry, and trying to finish the last of my Christmas shopping, I nearly fell asleep in the bathtub this evening. I don't remember getting this tuckered out in my 20s or 30s. I also don't remember days being this short. My god, it's 9PM, time for bed already?

Not only that, but I've got these aches and pains and I groan when I have to bend down to pick something up or tie my shoelace. Half the time I don't even bother to tie my shoelaces anymore. It's getting to be too much work.

Am I getting old? Is that what's happening? How do others deal with this nonsense?
Sorry for jumping in - I'll be honest I haven't read the whole thread. Hope that's ok...

Well I'm in my 20's (or 30's - only just) and having suffered severe depression in my very early twenties I became used to just accepting that, for whatever reason, the body will have its phases of being energetic and tired, and my getting upset over it didn't make any difference to the energy levels...!

I appreciate this isn't your situation or question, but I related to what you said about having so much energy when you are younger, and then not feeling the same get up and go, or stamina, despite doing all the same things. My example illustrates that sometimes it just is that way! Best way forward is to 'top prioritise' your health, because all good things come. It may not get you your youthful levels of energy again, but it will definitely do no harm.

Also - exercise when built up very slowly and daily methodically definitely contributes to overall energy levels but it takes an awful lot of exercise and an awful LOT longer than you think to see any positive effects. I have been exercising every single day for a year and only now am beginning to see the difference - initially I was more exhausted and wondered if it wasn't making me more tired.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:10 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,428,847 times
44 is way too young to start feeling 'old' and achy and painy. I'm over 60, and while I've had my share of injuries, I can count on both hands the number of times I've actually been sick in my adult life - usually some variety of flu - and still have some fingers left over. I will also say that a good part of my adult life was spent on a semi-homestead in Alaska where it was a mile from the house to where we parked our vehicles, so I spent a lot of time carrying a lot of groceries and critter food through the woods. After I moved off that onto the road system, I worked double shifts for quite a rew years. My kids were old enough and spent a lot more time with their father who lived in the same area, so I could do that, anywhere from 80-100+ hours/week. After I hit 45, I dropped back to one job, but it also included a lot of volunteer work after working hours, so the hours/week were still pretty high. Generally speaking, I just never had time to be sick, so whether I was or not just didn't matter, and if I was, I never noticed it.

Having said all that, this winter I did get sick and spent some time in the hospital - with, of all things, Rocky Mountain spotted fever! Wrong time of year for it, for one thing, no ticks around in the winter, but there it was. I'm back home now, but still kind of weirded out by it.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,172,685 times
Ha,ha. Nobody told me this was going to happen either. My problem is things that got broke,had sugery on, or just wore out. Gets stiffer,sorer,harder to move and more attention as time marches on!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,378 times
I'll turn 55 the end of this month but I feel much older. I'm always tired and don't have much energy to do what used to naturally i.e., go for walks, play tennis, and swim. Chocolates, pastries and croissants are my medicine. Sometimes, I'm so tired I won't eat. The thought of just calling it quits and being with "God" or whatever always enters my mind. Truthfully, I am ready to back to the nothing I came from.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 AM

14,017 posts, read 18,360,784 times
Try yoga, get regular exercise, cut back on the sugar, and there is a good chance all this slowing down, and the aches and pains, will be at least partially reversed.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,245,495 times
I am sorry, I have not read the entire thread either. I am wondering how much you weigh and what your lifestyle and diet are like. Are you under a lot of stress?

I can't imagine not tying your shoes anymore at 44 because it is too much trouble. That does not seem right at all.

If you are a normal weight, eating a good diet, and don't have a lot of stress in your life and your doctor has ruled out hypothyroidism (which can make you extremely tired), I don't know what your problem might be, but it is most definitely not old age. There are 90 year olds who ski . . . you don't HAVE to get aches and pains with age. That is a "groupthink" idea.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I have to agree with this post. I had no medical insurance and no job for a long period of time. So when I did get a job with benefits, I went to a doctor and the first thing he did was order complete lab panels and give me a loooooong lecture on how ill advised it is to not see doctors. Then I went back a week later and he sat there with his mouth open looking at my lab results shaking his head, and said in all his 30+ years of practicing medicine, it was the healthiest set of labs he had EVER SEEN. I had a good laugh over that. His brain just could not comprehend that someone could be very very healthy for years on end without ever seeing a doctor. He was stunned.
This is funny because I read a study that when doctors went on strike (in England I think, but I can't remember exactly) the death ratio in hospitals went way down . . .

So I would think the inverse would be true: Want to improve your health? Stay away from doctors and hospitals . . .

Acupuncture is a different story - it rebalances the chi in your body and gets rid of energy blockages. That might be a good idea for you to check out.

In nature, no females have to take hormones or anything else. That is completely contrived.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-End View Post
I'll turn 55 the end of this month but I feel much older. I'm always tired and don't have much energy to do what used to naturally i.e., go for walks, play tennis, and swim. Chocolates, pastries and croissants are my medicine. Sometimes, I'm so tired I won't eat. The thought of just calling it quits and being with "God" or whatever always enters my mind. Truthfully, I am ready to back to the nothing I came from.

Your diet is killing you and making you depressed all at the same time. Try eating whole foods and see how your mood and attitude improve. Make yourself take a walk . . .

Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM

7,771 posts, read 17,223,779 times
imcurious wrote:
Want to improve your health? Stay away from doctors and hospitals . . .
In a nutshell, this is one of the key components to good health. My grandmother followed this strategy. It worked very well for her. She died at the age of 97, active and healthy with a mind as sharp as a button until a few days before she passed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness