U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,443,192 times

Advertisements

I'm 44, and I feel like I get tired so easy now.

After a day of running errands, doing laundry, and trying to finish the last of my Christmas shopping, I nearly fell asleep in the bathtub this evening. I don't remember getting this tuckered out in my 20s or 30s. I also don't remember days being this short. My god, it's 9PM, time for bed already?

Not only that, but I've got these aches and pains and I groan when I have to bend down to pick something up or tie my shoelace. Half the time I don't even bother to tie my shoelaces anymore. It's getting to be too much work.

Am I getting old? Is that what's happening? How do others deal with this nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 AM

10,204 posts, read 22,695,484 times
Your only 44...but the way you felt in your 20's, full of boundless energy, then your 30's, still energetic, but not as boundless..and now you are almost halfway in your 40's..you are just slowing down a little. With all the running around, you will get more tired than if you were still 24. It's normal.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,123,630 times
Do you do stretching exercises, walk, etc. I remember getting a lot of energy from juicing with carrots, etc. I also gathered up some energy recently on raw coconut oil.

But over all, I don't have the energy that I had in my 20s or even when I was 45, but I know that I had a lot of energy at 45. Still, at 65 I have spent 6 hours outside pulling weeds all summer, almost daily. I run errans, but if I am in the garden I have no energy to clean the house. When I ws 45 I worked 8 hours in the garden, clean the house, and still had energy. I try to stay away until 9, which I managed last night but I was constantly falling to sleep in front of the TV or reading. I did very little yesterday due to the rain and lack of energy that the weather seems to give to me. And days do seem to get short. When I was a kid it seemed like summer lasted forever. I was 12 then.

I don't remember falling to sleep during the day until this last year. My older friends take daily naps, and I am so much against it since it makes me think I am old. Of course this eyar I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever which stays in your body for 3 years and tires you out.

Maybe Greenie, you do more in a day than you think.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 AM

436 posts, read 654,498 times
Running around is great, but you do need to do some type of dedicated exercise, be it a walk, treadmill, etc. Some foods can deplete energy, as can some drinks.

What medications do you take; how often?

When was the last time you have a true physical examination with lab tests to show thyroid, liver and kidney function?

All of these are rhetorical questions, but ones which should be considered.

Many things factor in to these situations, but I believe the most important is getting a full examination.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:38 AM

What medications do I take?

OMG. Does everyone take medications nowadays? That is a scary question.

I take no medications. I drink my coffee in the a.m. Sometimes I have a cup of tea in the afternoon. I've eaten half a box of See's chocolates in the last few days and bitten into the other half to see what's inside. (They are my chocolates, so I can do this.)

These are my only "medications."

Old 12-12-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Do you do stretching exercises, walk, etc. I remember getting a lot of energy from juicing with carrots, etc. I also gathered up some energy recently on raw coconut oil.
I need to do more. I'm trying to live my life more simply so that I can work less and enjoy life (walks, visits to the gym, etc) more.

I love to eat carrots ("chomp, chomp, chomp"), but drinking them never appealed to me. I cannot bring myself to drink vegetables, for some reason. Don't ask me why. I'm usually pretty adventurous with food, but when it comes to liquid vegetables, I can't even bring the stuff to my lips. Total mental block there. Weird.

What do you do with raw coconut oil? Does that come in capsule form or do you sprinkle it on your salads?

greenie

Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,123,630 times
The claim is that raw coconut oil gives you energy. I put two tablespoons in my smoothie every day, but you can basically use it like butter. I used to use it for oil in my salads, but it stays solid in winter, and I hate going through the process to melt it so I used olive oil. There are some websites on it.

Now chocolates will make you tired as it is sugar. I have been eating a lot of sweets myself lately--Christmas time.

I don't take medications either. Hope I never have to do so.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 AM

7,100 posts, read 24,958,818 times
Green Machine, I haven't read enough of your posts to know if you are male or female, so excuse my ignorance if you happen to be male.

At your age, there's a good chance that it's hormonal. You are sort of shifting gears and things are changing. (come to think of it, even if you are male, it could be hormonal, LOL..sorry!)

There's also the possibility that you are anemic.

You really do need a good physical with blood work. There could be several things, most are correctable, that could be causing you to feel tired. However, catching things like this quickly means that it's easier to correct.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM

I don't think I need a physical. I think it's just getting older and not having enough leisure time. I'm not a fan of running to the doctor for little things. I do think I need to kick the sweets and drink coconut oil.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,899,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I don't think I need a physical. I think it's just getting older and not having enough leisure time. I'm not a fan of running to the doctor for little things. I do think I need to kick the sweets and drink coconut oil.
I have to agree---our bodies just don't do what they use to. Lately I've had TO much leisure time and I find myself getting lazy--lack of ambition I guess. Luckily this week-end we have two 53ft trailers coming that we need to unload and unpack into our shop. It's the remainder of our "stuff" from CA. It's "only" been 11 months in storage in SC. Had to build a shop first! I am hoping by getting active again it will up my energy. But you know what...people slow down, at different rates and ages, but we slow down. I am older then you GreenMachine and I have noticed slowing down from around your age. And yes, we get more aches and pains. I just have to push myself and once I do I do feel better. I am not 20 anymore!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness