Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times

Advertisements

You don't need a reason to throw your money away. Stay away from your brother if possible, he is a bad influence.

I started smoking at the age of 13. I switched to vaping almost 4 years ago after smoking for over 35 years. I will never smoke another cigarette because they steal your breath. Hubby has COPD, Emphysema and Asthma, and will not quit smoking. His cigarettes are expensive; we have better things to spend our money on but he will not quit. When you are eligible for Medicare, your drugs will send you into the prescription "donut hole" and you'll have to pay $2,000+ out of pocket just to breath. They aren't worth it. While ecigarettes safety is questionable, I feel they are 50% or more safer than cigarettes though the ecigarette company's can't make that claim. Studies are coming out now but the FDA appears to not want to believe them. Don't make big tobacco bigger. Smoking of cigarettes is declining today; keep it that way!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
My brother smokes and bought me a pack. I wanna start but I don't wanna. But how bad is it really? Should I try smoking cigarettes? They are sitting on my counter and I keep eying them. What does smoking really do?

Do yourself a big favor and give him back the cigarettes. I am sure many posters above listed all the bad things with smoking. There are no good things with it.

If you want proof as to what it does to your health, visit a Hospice. Ask the residents if they smoked or not in their lives.

Its nearly impossible to quit after you get hooked. I know because I used to try every day. I found "E cigs" on the advice of one of my doctors and it is a much better way to feed the nicotine addiction.

To answer the question at the end of your post.... It kills you.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Yes tr@ll likely...but just in case:

I watched my dad die too, from lung cancer after 30 yrs of smoking.
There are NO good reasons to smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Really in this day and age you are asking if smoking is bad for you? Have you not ever been around people whose clothes and hair reek of cigarette smoke? The way people's breath smell, their teeth turn yellow? Imagine what the inside of their houses look like if they smoke in the house.

How about lung cancer or COPD. My mom started smoking at 16 she died on April 9, 2014 from lung cancer. She tried for the last 15 years to quit smoking. My step dad is currently dying from COPD. It is horrible watching him try to breathe and he just can't. He will die soon and continues to smoke at least a pack a day.

I am guessing a troll is at work here!! GROW up!!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
I had a church member who got throat cancer from years of smoking. He needed surgery to remove his voice box and also chemo and radiation therapy. He had to use a electro larynges to speak with. His cancer went into remission for a very short time but came back strong and spread to his brain. He lived only a short time after that. If you don't smoke don't start.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
My brother smokes and bought me a pack. I wanna start but I don't wanna. But how bad is it really? Should I try smoking cigarettes? They are sitting on my counter and I keep eying them. What does smoking really do?
First, to answer your question simply...suffice it to say that there is NOT one single GOOD thing that smoking can do for YOU. For the folks who manufacture cigarettes...it is a 'good' thing, the tax revenue it generates for the various levying mongers, it is a 'good' thing. For you, personally, not at all a GOOD thing.

Before you even begin to think any further about smoking that first pack of cigarettes, let's conduct an experiment for six months. Take the price of a pack of cigarettes and let's make it the price of a pack per day and put that money in some type of savings account. After the six month period is over, see what the GOOD thing is about NOT smoking.

Make the right decision now, there's really nothing to mull over and you should absolutely know that smoking is VERY BAD for you in every conceivable way possible. Instead you should be asking yourself, how GOOD is smoking for you?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I DO NOT endorse anyone starting the habit/addiction of smoking.

That being said, nicotine does have a number of good things that it does for people who use it. I occasionally use the nicotine-patch and derive many good things for using them: more energy, need less sleep, wake up much easier, better mood, appetite suppression, feel mentally sharper, feel more social.

I would strongly advise against smoking. If you want to try nicotine....I would strongly suggest doing so in a less harmful fashion.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
It's danger is overstated and genetics are a big factor. My 80+ year old grandmother has been a pack or more per day smoker her entire life.. my other grandmother has been overweight with slightly elevated cholesterol for her entire life... they are both chugging along longer than I thought they would.

Smoking smells bad and generally people who smoke also drink and frequent bars or night clubs so in general they are not my type, but I think the war on smoking has gone a bit far.. but really that's up to the smokers to defend their rights if they care enough.. I love going to a bar and not smelling smoke, the rare time when I go to one that is.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
How about dying from Lung Cancer? Or emphysema, or Co-Pd. How do I know cigarettes cause these diseases? Both my Dad, a brother, and a close friend smoked most of their lives and all 3 died of lung cancer.

You might think, "Well I'm young it won't affect me like that!" But it will catch up with you.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I DO NOT endorse anyone starting the habit/addiction of smoking.

That being said, nicotine does have a number of good things that it does for people who use it. I occasionally use the nicotine-patch and derive many good things for using them: more energy, need less sleep, wake up much easier, better mood, appetite suppression, feel mentally sharper, feel more social.

I would strongly advise against smoking. If you want to try nicotine....I would strongly suggest doing so in a less harmful fashion.
Nicotine, while highly addictive, is actually very good for you. They are actually have trials with Alzheimers patients.

It is the delivery system that is deadly.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Nothing good has ever come from smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness