Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
It's danger is overstated and genetics are a big factor. .
That's it in a nutshell.

Not a single one of the horror stories about this and that can be said with 100% certainty was due exclusively to smoking.

Every single thing that happens to our bodies healthwise is genetic.

People live longer today because of better medicine than we had in the 1800s.

Does smoking accelerate a genetic condition? Probably.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:37 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Overeating is much worse.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That's it in a nutshell.

Not a single one of the horror stories about this and that can be said with 100% certainty was due exclusively to smoking.

Every single thing that happens to our bodies healthwise is genetic.

People live longer today because of better medicine than we had in the 1800s.

Does smoking accelerate a genetic condition? Probably.
No, it's not.

There are plenty of illnesses and diseases that are caused by environmental factors and your genetics play zero part in it.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
At almost $6-7 pack, my old Mom with COPD from 40 plus years of cancer sticks, her quality of life sucks big time. At sea level she needs oxygen 3 times a day.

Do you want to sign up for that in 30-40 years?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I sometimes wonder if smokers realize how many people there are, who hate them and wish they would die.

And I wonder how many people there are, who have been made so miserable/ill by other people's smoke, that they secretly fantasize about killing smokers.

My old state, a horrible place for a great many reasons, has a high percentage of smokers (and high percentages of just about everything bad). But a ban was placed on smoking in public places, and the results were astonishing. The effect of secondhand smoke on nonsmokers is enormous. Heart attacks decrease after bans implemented (Mississippi State University)

If smokers want to degrade their lives and kill themselves, fine and dandy. If they want to become the pieces of garbage nobody wants, then that's their business. But their rights end where their habits degrade the lives of others. And it takes very little secondhand smoke, or smoke residue, for the lives of innocent people to be affected.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Your brother's an anal orifice. So don't open the pack, just light them on fire. "sorry bro, you can only burn them if you promise to suck the tar and carbon into your lungs as they burn" Love ya too, ya moron.
You know there's no other animal in the world that will intentionally suck the carbon of something on fire into their lungs. CUZ THEY'RE NOT THAT STUPID.

I guess I should add I used to smoke. That was during the self-destructive period of my life. (when I hitchhiked)

Last edited by hunterseat; 05-19-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times
After my mother got divorced from my father (I was 5 at the time), she started to smoke. My father never smoked and my mother never smoked until then. She tried to quit a couple of times but failed. Finally, about 4 years ago, she quit only to get lung cancer diagnosed 6 months later. She quit too late. She caught it early, so the doctors only had to remove about a quarter of her lungs as well as give her a course of chemo. Then the cancer spread to her brain. She's OK now and is considered cancer-free. She was lucky. VERY lucky! But, my mother is a lot more cautious now. Though she's got a lot of energy, she's aware her life is likely limited now.

My father, who never smoked, hung out with a lot of friends that did smoke. While the state he lives in now is a non-smoking state, it wasn't always. He loves to go out and most restaurants had smoking. He'd sit in the smoking section to please his friends and put up with the cigarette smoke (he hated the smell). He got lung cancer just before my mother did probably from second hand smoke. He was even luckier than my mother. He caught it before it spread. He's OK and never had to take chemo or have any part of his lungs removed, just a small operation to remove the small cluster of cancer cells found in his lungs. He's still very active today and cancer free!

I was visiting my ex-boyfriend's father for the first time (BF then, ex now). What a nice introduction. Great guy, but it was troubling when we were leaving to find out he just coughed up a lot of black tar-like stuff. He's a chain smoker. When the black tar-like stuff gets coughed up, the lungs are in poor shape and the damage is irreversible. What a shame...he had a good life going with his second wife. I don't know if he's still alive, but I can only imagine his life was not as "good" as it was before that.

Smoking is just not worth the risk. Some people are lucky. They are missing an enzyme in their lungs and they don't get lung cancer regardless of the amount of smoking they do, but you won't know if you are one of those people until you are old and grey or come down with cancer. It's not worth the money you have to spend on buying the cigarettes. It's an addiction like cocaine is. It's not cocaine, but you crave it just the same. You get sick more. You lose your taste for certain foods you enjoy and you can't smell everything because of what the cigarettes do to your system. It just clogs it up. You get sick more often and it lasts longer too as your body can't fight it off as easily. Your immune system is compromised. You smell bad. It's in your clothes, hair, skin, and breath. Your friends will start to smell and it's unpleasant. Have you ever gotten a massage from a chain smoker? I have. It's sticky and not nearly as pleasant as getting a massage from a non-smoker. The tar comes out your pores. It's gross! You put your non-smoking friends at risk of getting cancer. What a nice gift for them!! They'll thank you for it...not really. Don't expect anything from them. Oh, don't forget, the tar can get into your car seats and in the walls in your home. It'll also stain your wall paint and teeth. Your sweat will also stain your clothes yellow. What fun that is to get out of your clothes. It stains your clothes and nearly impossible to get out.

So, like I said, smoking is not worth it. Your brother is just looking for a smoking buddy. If you do everything your brother says, start doing your own thing now. Don't smoke! The hype is true. It's one of the biggest killers out there. Why add to that statistic?!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I sometimes wonder if smokers realize how many people there are, who hate them and wish they would die.
Well at least SOMEONE came out and said it!

I'm one of those people, although I'm not so mean as to wish death upon them. I do, however, wish the following things on every person stupid enough to start smoking and weak enough not to quit:

-persistent debilitating health problems
-financial ruin
-public humiliation

I think it's terrible whenever someone who smokes can achieve any success in life... and especially if he/she becomes a celebrity. The reason is, of course, because it makes impressionable young people look at them and be like "wow, he/she is really successful, and he/she smokes... I guess that means I can smoke and be like him/her!"... or something very similar to that. If, instead, anyone who smoked suffered all three of the aforementioned unpleasantries for the entire time that he/she was a smoker, impressionable young people would be dissuaded from smoking and they wouldn't be anywhere near as likely to start.

I think that one of the reasons why nonsmokers have such hatred toward smokers is because smokers are, in nearly 100% of cases, inconsiderate.

I submit the following evidence in support of that claim:

-Nonsmokers with even marginal noses can detect smoke outside at a distance of 200 feet or more depending upon how the wind is blowing. So if you can even see another person who is not smoking, when you're outside puffing away, you're still being inconsiderate to that other person who is 80% likely to be a nonsmoker who doesn't want to smell your smoke.

-Many smokers will smoke inside, no matter how the nonsmokers in the house feel about it. You want to talk about something that burns my butt, that's it. When I first met my wife, she was 21 and still lived at home. Her mom was still smoking at that time and would smoke inside whenever the weather was poor - meaning about six months out of the year. The reasoning? "It's my house and I can smoke in my house if I want to." Okay, fine. You want to do that? At least provide your non-smoking daughter with an air-purified escape from your carcinogenic indulgence. But how many parents do that? How many parents who smoke inside will equip their children's bedrooms with air purifiers and what not so that they can at least retreat to their bedrooms when they don't want to smell the cigarette smoke? I was the first one to buy she who became my wife an air purifier... at age 21! You'd think, in 21 years, her parents would have outfitted her room with an air purifier! But, in the end, smokers don't care about their OWN bodies, so they aren't going to care about anyone else's bodies much more... if at all.

-Many smokers will smoke either outside or inside, right next to nonsmokers. Confront them about it (as I have) and in the majority of cases you get attitude - "I am allowed to smoke here". Dude, just because you're "allowed" to do it, that doesn't mean that it is the courteous thing to do. I'm allowed to fart here as well but you wouldn't want me doing that.

-Since nearly everyone has family and/or friends who care about that person, committing slow suicide by smoking is inconsiderate to those "loved ones" who would rather see the person live a long and relatively healthy life... instead of a drastically shortened life where the final years are spent gasping for breath with an oxygen tank set to "high".

-Since most people who smoke are poor, and most people of all types who make it to 65 get taxpayer-supported health care, it can logically be concluded that the vast majority of smokers will need taxpayer-subsidized care for their nearly inevitable smoking-related health ailments. That's inconsiderate to me, because I don't want to pay for the results of their stupidity.

-Many people have successfully quit smoking. Watching someone light up shows weakness, and there are many of us who can't stand that type of weakness in a person because it is a CHOICE to be weak; a CHOICE to be inconsiderate. You CAN quit smoking. You just CHOOSE not to. At least 80% of us will not like nor accept that choice for all of the aforementioned reasons - so make a better choice. If you don't, you're going to irritate a lot of people - which is inconsiderate.

Quote:
And I wonder how many people there are, who have been made so miserable/ill by other people's smoke, that they secretly fantasize about killing smokers.
Oh, I've never done that, because I know that smokers are people too, and every smoker CAN quit. But what I used to fantasize about, before I grew up and became ballsy enough to do this in reality, was smacking the cigarette right out of the mouth of a smoker and then stomping it out on the ground. I have done this numerous times, with friends of course. (Just let 'em TRY to fight back with me. See how THAT works out. Nobody has ever tried, for reasons they find obvious.) I have also secretly fantasized about getting into a fight with a stranger who refused to stop smoking around me after I asked him to stop, and totally kicking his butt.

Quote:
If smokers want to degrade their lives and kill themselves, fine and dandy. If they want to become the pieces of garbage nobody wants, then that's their business. But their rights end where their habits degrade the lives of others. And it takes very little secondhand smoke, or smoke residue, for the lives of innocent people to be affected.
My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Your brother's an anal orifice. So don't open the pack, just light them on fire. "sorry bro, you can only burn them if you promise to suck the tar and carbon into your lungs as they burn" Love ya too, ya moron.
You know there's no other animal in the world that will intentionally suck the carbon of something on fire into their lungs. CUZ THEY'RE NOT THAT STUPID.
I wish I could say you are right - however, you aren't. Do some quick searching online. I have found news articles about chimpanzees and other types of monkeys who started smoking when zoo-goers threw lit cigarettes into the monkeys' enclosures. The monkeys were imitating humans who were smoking. I have also seen a video of a dog smoking. In person, I have seen a dog who was addicted to nicotine, although his owner gave him snuff instead of cigarettes.

However, this doesn't disprove your apparent theory that humans are the stupidest animals on earth. If anything, it supports that theory because not only are humans dumb enough to smoke, but they are also dumb enough to encourage other types of animals to smoke.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
That is just not true!!!!

People usually don't get addicted to something....unless there is a component that is beneficial to them.
So what's the beneficial component to heroin, methamphetamines, crack cocaine????

What "component" was beneficial to the alcoholic with cirrhosis??

The speed freak with meth mouth living on the street or in jail??

The heroin addict taking their HIV cocktail for the rest of their miserable life??

Yep, lots of benefits to substance addictions....

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
After my mother got divorced from my father (I was 5 at the time), she started to smoke. My father never smoked and my mother never smoked until then. She tried to quit a couple of times but failed. Finally, about 4 years ago, she quit only to get lung cancer diagnosed 6 months later. She quit too late. She caught it early, so the doctors only had to remove about a quarter of her lungs as well as give her a course of chemo. Then the cancer spread to her brain. She's OK now and is considered cancer-free. She was lucky. VERY lucky! But, my mother is a lot more cautious now. Though she's got a lot of energy, she's aware her life is likely limited now.

------------------
^Your mother was very fortunate in one way --- she was able to withstand an operation. When my brother was diagnosed with lung cancer, he was also diagnosed with advanced emphysema. Due to the emphysema, he was told that he never could have an operation where he needed to be put under. Some smokers aren't aware that emphysema limits them in that way.
------------------
-Many smokers will smoke inside, no matter how the nonsmokers in the house feel about it. You want to talk about something that burns my butt, that's it. When I first met my wife, she was 21 and still lived at home. Her mom was still smoking at that time and would smoke inside whenever the weather was poor - meaning about six months out of the year. The reasoning? "It's my house and I can smoke in my house if I want to." Okay, fine. You want to do that? At least provide your non-smoking daughter with an air-purified escape from your carcinogenic indulgence. But how many parents do that? How many parents who smoke inside will equip their children's bedrooms with air purifiers and what not so that they can at least retreat to their bedrooms when they don't want to smell the cigarette smoke? I was the first one to buy she who became my wife an air purifier... at age 21! You'd think, in 21 years, her parents would have outfitted her room with an air purifier! But, in the end, smokers don't care about their OWN bodies, so they aren't going to care about anyone else's bodies much more... if at all.
------------------------
^ My mother was the same way. Back in the late 60s, when I was a teen, I learned that there were negative effects from second-hand smoke. I told my mother this and she just sneered at me. She made no effort to take her smoking outside. As I got older, I realized just how selfish and inconsiderate she was. It's one thing if everybody in a household smokes and they never have non-smokers visiting them but when you have kids, smoking in front of them is despicable. Not to mention what a horrible example that sets. When my brother started smoking, my mother used to yell at him about it---not because it was bad for his health but because he was a kid. Of course, she used to yell at him while she had a cigarette in her hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness