Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Taka a dozen antihistamines, like Benadryl (store brand will do -- they're OTC). Then one every 4-6 hours, until the symptoms subside.

Might not be mosquito bites, but some other crittur that you didn't know you're allergic to.

OMG, I can't imagine taking 12 Benadryl !!!

I can't even take ONE full pill of the lowest dosage!
If I do, I wake up feeling like crap the next morning and am useless the entire day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:42 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
The topical Benadryl liquid (it's in a dabber) helps too.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
He'd probably drive past ten pharmacies on the way to the nearest urgent care, and in any one of them, the pharmacist would give him something over the counter, and he wouldn't have wait two hours to see a doctor and then pay the $30 copay at urgent care (if he is one of the lucky few who have insurance at all), where a doctor would just give him a Rx for the same thing that the pharmacist will provide for about two bucks.

It must be wonderful to live in a country where you can take a half day off work to go to a hospital for a mosquito bite.
Sure, it's much better to take advice from a total stranger on the internet. BTW, how do you his medical history? Are you sure he can safely take one Benadryl, let alone twelve??????

I guess you also know the layout of his neighborhood, typical wait time at the nearest Urgent Care Center, etc?

Finally, since you are so busy dispensing medical advice, why not take the time to learn the difference between a hospital and an Urgent Care Center?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'd take some Benadryl but if you want to know the maximum dosage don't listen to someone on the internet, call any pharmacy and they'll tell you - I would NOT take 12.
I agree. One capsule of Benedryl puts me to sleep. ONE. If I took 12 I would seriously think it might suppress my breathing to the point I would die in my sleep like Heath Ledger. If I take Zyrtec I can only take HALF a cap and I still feel like a zombie the next day.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Just ignore the 12 Benadryl at the same time nonsense. The poster who posted this points out the instructions which he claims says to take up to 12 a day. I don't know which package instructions he's reading but here's what it says for the ultra tablets:

Take every 4-6 hours
Take no more than six times in a 24-hour period.

For adults: 1-2 tablets per dose.

This does not mean he can take 12 in one dose, once a day. It means he can take up to 2 in one dose, up to six times, with each time spaced out over a period of 4-6 hours between each dose.

I know most of us know this - most of can either read english, or know how to use a babelfish online translator to convert to their own language.

But apparently one or two members have trouble interpreting simple directions, so I've laid it out for them.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Mosquitoes can carry and transmit quite a few very nasty diseases. A reaction like the OP describes really ought to be not taken lightly. See your Doctor.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
No 12 Benadryl, I'm not stupid! None at all in fact. Seeing a doc must be nice; I haven't had good insurance since October 2013 so I'd have to be seriously ill to go. Cold compresses worked.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:07 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
When i was stung by a bee back in august 1998 i applied some hydrocortisone cream though i didn't have an allergic reaction. Just in case.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No 12 Benadryl, I'm not stupid! None at all in fact. Seeing a doc must be nice; I haven't had good insurance since October 2013 so I'd have to be seriously ill to go. Cold compresses worked.
It's great that it worked. As long as it doesn't get red again, and you don't have a fever/chills or a sudden -drop- in temperature/blood pressure, don't worry about it. It was probably just a histamine over-reaction to so many bites in a small area of your body.

An antihistamine (like Benadryl) would've done the trick, as long as it was just a histamine reaction. It wouldn't have done diddly squat if it was an infection though. For future reference though, if you get bug bites that swell up and do -not- respond quickly to cold compresses, you could try triple antibiotic ointment (the stuff you usually find in any generic first-aid kit), plus ingest an antihistamine such as Benadryl or other diphenhydramine (I use the childrens' liquid), and give it a few hours. If it STILL doesn't respond - you'll definitely want to go to a doctor. It's not common, but sepsis can happen, and it's not something that affordability should have any power over your decision to prevent, or treat, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness