U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,370,416 times
Reputation: 1086

Advertisements

I somehow doubt this. Vietnam, on a per capita basis, must be one of the biggest consumers of beef in all of Asia. In contrast to China which relies more upon pork, and India which eats much more vegetables and Chicken, the Vietnamese like their beef. Think of all of that Pho that has steak in it. Everytime I eat Vietnamese food I usually get something with beef in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Many of you are too young to know this, however during the war in Vietnam, the Viet Cong knew when our troops were nearby because of body odor. We made sure our troops got beef in addition to C rations.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Vero Beach, Fl
2,949 posts, read 12,362,471 times
Reputation: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I somehow doubt this. Vietnam, on a per capita basis, must be one of the biggest consumers of beef in all of Asia. In contrast to China which relies more upon pork, and India which eats much more vegetables and Chicken, the Vietnamese like their beef. Think of all of that Pho that has steak in it. Everytime I eat Vietnamese food I usually get something with beef in it.
I think you misunderstood my post. Our troops (US) while in Vietnam during the war (1960's - 1970's) ate beef. The Viet Cong could smell our troops when they were nearby because of this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM
 
14,217 posts, read 14,276,933 times
Reputation: 10026
And actually beef or other diet aside, I have known people of different races who say it is common knowledge that different races have different smells associated with them, not bad or better or worse, but different to the point where they could be distinguished. I have not noticed it with race as much myself but I do know certain families have a distinctive odor that all members share, as a kid I could detect among the 12 or so different homes in our small area each had its own distinct signature.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,437,653 times
Reputation: 692
Myth?

First, we almost often cannot smell ourself, so that is no reason to call it a myth.


That's not true, Jessaka. I can smell myself very well indeed. I just don't find my own smells that offensive...

greenie
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,370,416 times
Reputation: 1086
No I understand what you're saying perfectly. This story just seems to come across to me as being somewhat of a myth. I haven't been to Vietnam at all, but spent some time living in Southeast Asia, and actually had some Vietnamese people as neighbors in the building I was living in.

What I'm saying is that the average Vietnamese person eats a diet that has a good ammount of beef in it as compared to the average Chinese/Thai/Malay person. Therefore it would be very hard to immagine that if they were eating beef, how would they detect the smell of beef on other people?

If the Vietcong were having beef Pho noodles for breakfast or lunch, how would they be able to smell other people who had eaten beef? I eat hamburgers on a somewhat irregular basis (once every 2-3 weeks) and am not able to detect a "beef" smell on anyone at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I think you misunderstood my post. Our troops (US) while in Vietnam during the war (1960's - 1970's) ate beef. The Viet Cong could smell our troops when they were nearby because of this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts, read 631,610 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Stinks more from vegetables, actually.

My dog eats mostly meat and she has no smells.
Dogs have different digestive enzymes and a shorter digestive tract than humans which allows them to eat a meat diet which is passed quickly through the body. Humans are not built this way. We digest meat and veggies differently than canines. A person with a vegetarian or raw diet will not have the same fecal smell that their mostly meat-eating human counterparts do simply because of the nature of the enzymatic make-up of our digestive systems.

We are not biologically made to digest large amounts of animal protein. This is why our digestive tracts are long. We can digest moderate amounts, but meat eaters who eat large amounts of animal protein will have smellier poo and generally more gastrointestinal problems than those who balance their diets with 0-25% animal protein daily.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 04:35 AM
 
5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
Reputation: 2445
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Myth?

First, we almost often cannot smell ourself, so that is no reason to call it a myth.


That's not true, Jessaka. I can smell myself very well indeed. I just don't find my own smells that offensive...

greenie

That is true to some degree. I can smell myself if I don't bath and if I do bath, but after a week of not bathing I imagine that the nose refuses to smell yurself anymore. Which is why, when I first moved to a farm I smelled the cow manure, but after awhile only newcomers to the farm could smell it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 04:37 AM
 
5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
Reputation: 2445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
No I understand what you're saying perfectly. This story just seems to come across to me as being somewhat of a myth. I haven't been to Vietnam at all, but spent some time living in Southeast Asia, and actually had some Vietnamese people as neighbors in the building I was living in.

What I'm saying is that the average Vietnamese person eats a diet that has a good ammount of beef in it as compared to the average Chinese/Thai/Malay person. Therefore it would be very hard to immagine that if they were eating beef, how would they detect the smell of beef on other people?

If the Vietcong were having beef Pho noodles for breakfast or lunch, how would they be able to smell other people who had eaten beef? I eat hamburgers on a somewhat irregular basis (once every 2-3 weeks) and am not able to detect a "beef" smell on anyone at all.
I used to attend a monastery of Vietanamese people that were vegetarian, but I never smelled them. Some races I can detect an odor depending upon their diet, but not the Vietnamesse. I don't know what they would have smelled like if they ate beef, chicken, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 PM
 
Location: in drifts of snow wherever you go
2,493 posts, read 3,437,653 times
Reputation: 692
Too much coffee makes me sweat and that makes me smell.

Garlic and onions make me smell too. Asparagus makes me smell. Indian food makes me smell.

Otherwise, I do not smell.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top