Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 PM

173 posts, read 256,874 times

Advertisements

I clean two homes a day, spending about 25 hours a week inside people's very filthy, dusty homes. I use the same pair of rubber gloves that I wash with hot water and dish soap to clean everything, using more natural products like those by Method, but sometimes products like VIM to cut soap grime and heavy duty dirt. I shake rugs out outside, clean toilets, get on my hands and knees to wash every inch of the floors.

My concerns are:
-bending over slightly to mop and wipe for hours a day may eventually take a toll on my back
-breathing in so much dust (windows are rarely open) could pose long term health risks...the dust may contain a lot of germs and stuff like formaldehyde. Sometimes homes are undergoing renovation or my clients work with wood, so there's construction dust quite often.
-being exposed to so many germs, feces and dried urine, could give me a disease? Not likely, but still not pleasant.

Should I stop while I'm ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Unless you have a compromised immune system, you'll be fine.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I'm sure you could use a dust mask if you are especially concerned, at least if the client is not home (they might be offended by the dust mask otherwise).

There's a way to mop that is easier on your back...instead of pushing back and forth on the mop, sweep it from side to side as you step back across the dry part of the floor. It's easier with a regular commercial mop with the strings, I don't think it would work with a sponge mop. I worked as a janitor before and we had to mop a lot of floors every day. Mopping that way was a real back-saver, and one of the first things I learned on that job.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:18 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm sure you could use a dust mask if you are especially concerned, at least if the client is not home (they might be offended by the dust mask otherwise).

There's a way to mop that is easier on your back...instead of pushing back and forth on the mop, sweep it from side to side as you step back across the dry part of the floor. It's easier with a regular commercial mop with the strings, I don't think it would work with a sponge mop. I worked as a janitor before and we had to mop a lot of floors every day. Mopping that way was a real back-saver, and one of the first things I learned on that job.

Good advice. You can buy a package of dust masks at any pharmacy, or Target has them.

If anyone is home while you're working than just say that you have allergies & your doctor advised you to wear a dust mask while working. I can't imagine anyone would take offense to that.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
It is more expensive but those dust cloths are better than a duster. A duster just spreads the dust into the air. The cloths actually pick it up. You can also use the hose attachment on the vacuum cleaner to pick up dust if it is very, very bad.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Being exposed to all those germs has made you a great deal healthier than you would have been otherwise, because your body defends itself by building an autoimmune system that fights against whatever it is exposed to.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 AM

I would never use a duster--yes, you're just putting it up into the air for it to resettle!

Not one of the dozen houses I've cleaned uses a string mop.

Swiffers are also not great because to clean properly you need to change them as soon as they get dirt--which would be very wasteful.

I highly suggest a Vileda ProMist or other mop with a velco microfiber rag. I wring it out after every several passes. If you're not wringing out the mop often, and then remoistening it with CLEAN water, you're not doing it properly. It amazes me how many people don't understand that. If you're just dipping a dirty mop back into a tub of dirty water, you're not cleaning, you're just moving it around.

Anyway, I quit all my jobs today anyway...so this is no longer applicable.

Cleaning is hard...no one should be paying their cleaner less than $20/hr!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
My main concern is breathing the chemicals. Mainly from the bleach spray/Ajax/soap scum remover. I only clean my own house, but I'd be concerned doing it all day, breathing the chemicals. And I hate to say it, but I love the smell of my house when it's clean and you smell all those "chemicals". I suppose Pine Sol and Pledge probably aren't hazzardous though.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM

I mostly used Method products for cleaning. But they also contain "colorant" and some fragrances that are partly synthetic. Oh, and diazalodinyl urea, a formaldehyde preservative.

Pine Sol contains toluene.

Simple Green *sounds* good but also contains pthalates, toluene, and 1,4 dioxane
Which Household Cleaners Contain Toxins? | Mother Jones

Here is a good informational presentation about harmful ingredients in cleaning products I just stumbled across for anyone interested:
http://www.womensvoices.org/wp-conte...ty-Secrets.pdf

Old 06-01-2014, 03:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
If you don't like cleaning other peoples homes and are that concerned find a different job. Not everyone was made for doing that job. I have been cleaning houses for 6 years now and I personally like what I do but it isn't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness