Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 AM

48 posts, read 49,713 times

Advertisements

I'm 23, male. I've been feeling tired and restless for about 2 months now. However, I haven't had any major habit changes. I sleep about 7 hours a night, even though I take a lot of time to fall asleep. I don't smoke and only drink alcohol socially but I barely go out at night.

I don't exercise but I do try to be careful with my diet. Always eat vegetables and plenty of fruit everyday. I try to stay away from fried food.

However, I've been having this lack of energy for no apparent reason. I have a hard time concentrating, getting up in the morning and feeling like I've been hit by a truck.

Is this just a phase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
No. (Not a phase.)
Wondering, do you have periods during the day that you feel normal?
Or is this every minute of the day you feel tired, restless and trouble with concentration?
Yes, I remember in the morning...we called it the 'sleep of death'....yes, hit by a truck...
ah, the memories...
Btw, thank you for detailing so much to give us a good picture.

If you do have periods of feeling yourself....notice when you crash...what did you
eat or drink...see? Or were you in a bad environment...like sitting in a tire shop, sitting
In your car as they are paving...asking about toxic fumes you could be allergic to
aggravating symptoms.
Molds will do the same thing.

Did you just have new carpeting or some other change in your home that could be
"gassing out"...formaldahyde is in new cars, new offices, stores...your body could be
fighting some thing brought into your environment...no average MD will come up with this from
my experience, tho.

It could be so many things...but, the good thing is you can recover, imo.
I always say seeing a doc to get blood work is a good start...rules out simple things like
thyroid, liver enzymes off, ya know.

Hang in there.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
No. (Not a phase.)
Wondering, do you have periods during the day that you feel normal?
Or is this every minute of the day you feel tired, restless and trouble with concentration?
If I eventually manage to concentrate on something, I forget about it. But if I stop for a coffee break or something, I'm once again aware of how exhausted I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If you do have periods of feeling yourself....notice when you crash...what did you
eat or drink...see? Or were you in a bad environment...like sitting in a tire shop, sitting
In your car as they are paving...asking about toxic fumes you could be allergic to
aggravating symptoms.
Molds will do the same thing.
Not really, like I said, I haven't really changed my habits. I've been driving the same car since I got my license at 18 and haven't really gone somewhere else out of the ordinary. Thanks for your attention.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
See your doctor for a complete blood work-up.

It could be something as simple to treat as underactive thyroid.

Feeling the way that you do should not be ignored. See your doctor.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Iron deficiency, thyroid issues, depression, diabetes, excessive caffeine, alcohol abuse, poor diet, or medications. It could be anything, see your doctor and best of luck.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
As others are mentioning thyroid may be imbalanced. Get a doctor to do a blood check. My wife experienced similar problems, the doctor had her do a blood test, found it out of balance, got her on certain vitamins, primarily the B family of vitamins, her latest blood reports are now normal.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:57 AM

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Males reach physiological adulthood later than females. You might be entering a stage in your life where you really need to exercise in order to retain stamina and sleep well.

While you're waiting for a doctor's appointment, you should try getting some exercise. Something that'll get your blood pumping, like fast walking, running, tennis, mowing the lawn, riding a bike, swimming, jumprope, etc. etc. etc. Start slow, just until you start to sweat. If that's only 5 minutes, that's okay, but next time, do whatever you're doing slower, or with less movement, until you can sustain whatever it is for a minimum of 20 minutes. The goal is to get sweaty without feeling like you're going to pass out. The end result, is that you'll be USING your energy, which gives you more productive sleep, which makes you less lethargic the next day.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 AM

I'll try it but to be honest I don't have much time for anything besides university, eating and sleeping.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRE52 View Post
I'll try it but to be honest I don't have much time for anything besides university, eating and sleeping.
You have plenty of time. You just choose not to use it efficiently.

You manage to get from your bed to the classroom don't you? How do you get there? Do you drive to the classroom door, or do you walk from your house to the car, or to the bus stop, or to the building where the classroom is located? Wherever you walk from and to, jog instead. If you already jog, alternate jogging and sprinting. You'll get there faster and have time for a few push-ups before you even leave your house in the morning.

Do you get dressed? Try getting dressed while standing on one leg.

Do you read for your classes? Read standing up. In fact, read while walking on a treadmill, or taking a walk up the road or through your quad if you live on campus.

You have 24 hours. Only 8 of them needs to be spent sleeping. Only one of them needs to be spent eating. That leaves you with 15 more hours, 7 days per week, to do other things. Assume 3 hours daily for studies, 1 hour daily for showering/dressing/bathroom breaks/making yourself presentable to the civilized world, and another hour for travel back and forth to whatever. Assume 8 hours for actual classroom time, 5 days per week. That STILL leaves you with two hours every day five days per week, and 10 hours per day on weekends, to do stuff other than sleep/eat/university. Exercise ONE hour per day, and you'll have time left over for a lollipop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness