U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 04:13 AM

10,958 posts, read 9,895,664 times

Advertisements

Do you use a humidifier in your home during the winter months? If so, is it a cool or warm mist? Which do you prefer and do you feel it does a good job in removing the dry air in your home, and does it help you to feel better? Do you have a favorite brand you recommend?

What about cleaning the unit? Is it easy or a real pain to keep it maintained properly?

I have used a warm mist humidifier before and really got tired of the daily/weekly cleaning; and not really sure if it was worth all the effort.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,386,637 times
I only use one when I am sick, I have a Vicks vaporizer. I cough ALOT when I am sick and this is a way to keep it more mild without heavy drugs. Its hot steam and its not hard to keep clean however you have to be careful what kind of surface you put it on, you can't let it spray steam all over a wood surface for instance.

When I used to live in New England and we had radiators, I used to put a pie pan of water on top of the radiator for humidity.

For me personally I think its worth it because I can't stand having dry skin.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:35 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,110,692 times
I use one every day when the heat is on. We don't get colds this way. I just have one of those cheap $30 ones. I don't like cleaning them either, but it is necessary. I am also learning to dress warmer in order to have the heater down as my sinus' and body feels better. So anything above 70 degrees bothers me in the winter.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:55 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,084,748 times
I have a whole house Honeywell Humidifier on my furnace and I LOVE IT! You can set how humid you want it. You have to have the pad changed every fall (it gets moldy over the summer) and have it checked when you have your furnace checked. I think it only was $19 for the humid check and pad. IT IS SO WORTH IT!!
I think the unit cost $499 installed. It should last a long time. No filling tanks or cleaning.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,993,957 times
I bought a Hunter Fans Low Maintenance one recently for about $40. You don't have to replace the filters because they (2 filters in this one) are more of a really hard paper material than the traditional ones. They do still need to be cleaned. The water in my area is very hard (possibly due to the drought) so I have to clean it about once every 4-6 weeks. The only thing you need to clean them is vinegar which is super cheap. I've own a couple of cool mist humidifiers and this is the best one as far as functionality and ease of cleaning, filling, etc. This is it here:

http://www.hunterfan.com/pages/cat_humidifiers.php (broken link)

And they definitely make a difference in breathing as well as your skin not being as dry.

And cool mist is better for daily use. Warm mist is better if you or your children have a cold.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 AM

176 posts, read 1,060,273 times
I use both the cool mist and hot steam versions. I prefer the hot steam. It is worth the trouble. When I didn't use one in the winter, my throat and skin felt dry all the time. Much better now.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 PM

132 posts, read 493,195 times
Thanks for the info! I'm considering getting a humidifier. Having a unit installed sounds like a great idea, too.

Angel

Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 AM

436 posts, read 653,328 times
Humidifiers do add moisture to the air, thus making a home more comfortable, even at lower temperatures. They also help reduce the dust accumulation and reduce dry sinus irritation.

Check out the newer units (free standing) at www.essickair.com

Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM

10,958 posts, read 9,895,664 times
Great advice and input! Thanks all!!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,440,752 times
Just beware that if you don't clean them really well, you will have a mold problem. I have a mold allergy, so my doctor told me never to use one (even with proper cleaning). If I'm really sick and dry, I still use a cold mist one, but I make sure I clean it out really, really well every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness