Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,061 times

Advertisements

I have been doing Muay Thai for years and started doing BJJ recently. After every training session, my joints are killing me to the point where I cannot even finish my training. Can anyone else experience joint pain when grappling? Usually our classes consist of 30 minutes of technical work and 30 minutes of totally out rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
I'm not even sure what Muay thai or BJJ are.But,I can make a suggestion! I have been running off and on for years.When it's off it is because of knee pain.Someone recently recommended Glucosamine Chondroitin.It is a joint lubricant and since I started using it I have no more pain! The person that told me about it swears by it,and she is a physical education major and teacher.It can't hurt!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:21 AM

436 posts, read 809,244 times
If you have not exercised for a long time, perhaps you are starting out in too vigorous a manner. The joints are great, and can withstand a lot of abuse, BUT- they aslo need to be handled with a modicum of care. You need to do your stretching exercises and work p to the designated time period for the exercise program

Glucosamine and Chondroitin is used by a lot of people, but the good they do for the joints is debatable. Keeping up the fluid levels for the body could have just as much effect.

Gloucosamine should not be taken by people with seafood allergy. Additionally, levels of Coumadin or Warfarin (blood thinners) can be affected so, people who take anti-coagulants or antiplatlet medications should not take these supplements. There are some reports of increased insulin levels in diabetics who take these.

People on medications should check with their physicians prior to taking herbals. Herbals have contraindications to medications, and to other herbals as well

Just because it is natural, does not mean it is safe.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:09 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I first heard about Glucosamine/Chrondrotin from a man that had a hip replaced. He had to have the other one replaced a year later, but after taking this product for a year he no longer needed a hip replacement. I think that this study on its not being effective could be because they want people to stop taking it so they can perform more surgeries?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM

436 posts, read 809,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I first heard about Glucosamine/Chrondrotin from a man that had a hip replaced. He had to have the other one replaced a year later, but after taking this product for a year he no longer needed a hip replacement. I think that this study on its not being effective could be because they want people to stop taking it so they can perform more surgeries?
Moderator cut: put down
Read the studies.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 12-25-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: put down

Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
The studies are always biased. If the studies came from doctors that benefit from doing surgeries, of course they will say that herbs are dangerous. Because when people get well from taking herbs, it cuts into their profits.
What everyone should really do is quit taking poisonous medications and get well with herbs, natural foods and exercise.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:47 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Thank you PinkString.

For every study they do it seems like one that proves them wrong comes along later.

I trust this friend of mine who said he didn't need surgery a year later after taking the glucosamine. If it worked for him it works for others, and that invalidates the studies done on it. There may be many reasons why it doesn't work on some people, one being perhaps the product they took isn't very good. Perhaps the studies done were not done well or they used an inferior product. One can never know.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Jessaka,
I do believe your friend got well after taking the glucosamine. It has proven powers of healing. I have heard from many people about that product and how great it is.
I also found out about a vegan version of that product. It costs a lot more, but for those allergic to shellfish, it's a good idea.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 21,807 times
Default Join Pain!

Hey, my wife is a runner; she has run two Marathons and has suffered from Knee Joint pain for years. She used footpad and she felt a phenomenal difference within the first two weeks, and has now gotten her mother on it to, and she says that her arthritis feels almost gone. Footpad also known as Detox Pad and it helps to relieve fatigue, joint pain, headaches, skin rashes and many other health problems. Therefore, I would highly recommend you for footpad. Hope this will work out for you. Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The studies are always biased. If the studies came from doctors that benefit from doing surgeries, of course they will say that herbs are dangerous. Because when people get well from taking herbs, it cuts into their profits.
What everyone should really do is quit taking poisonous medications and get well with herbs, natural foods and exercise.
Herbs can be dangerous....
They are like medication. There are certain herbs that pregnant woman should not take.
There are certain herbs that should not be mixed.
There are herbs that should not be taken with certain prescription medications and so on.
There are also certain herbs that if you are growing them where certain parts of the plant is poisonous and certain plants that should not be handles without gloves and so on.

But I think that if a person does their homework or works with someone that knows the dangers than it is fine.

So do be careful when ingesting herbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness