Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:49 AM

6 posts, read 54,522 times

Advertisements

My 9yr old is facing a tough, persistent cough. It's better than it was, but being allergy induced, coupled with a virus she got, it hasn't been easy for her to break free of the hack. And she plays soccer; a lot! We're thinking of tearing up the carpet for her. We just bought this place; it has wood floors throughout and tile floors in the baths, so the carpet must go. Any other concerns for asthma that you know of in the Houston area. Any secrets to keeping the asthma controlled (besides seeing her allergist). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Check out these sites for good advise:
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/
http://www.noattacks.org/
Here is a really good check list for checking out asthma triggers in your home environment:
http://www.epa.gov/asthma/pdfs/home_..._checklist.pdf
You might also want to google the term: indoor air quality for more advise

Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass-sqwatch View Post
My 9yr old is facing a tough, persistent cough. It's better than it was, but being allergy induced, coupled with a virus she got, it hasn't been easy for her to break free of the hack. And she plays soccer; a lot! We're thinking of tearing up the carpet for her. We just bought this place; it has wood floors throughout and tile floors in the baths, so the carpet must go. Any other concerns for asthma that you know of in the Houston area. Any secrets to keeping the asthma controlled (besides seeing her allergist). Thanks.
It sounds like you just moved in? Have you checked the a/c and or heating filters? When we moved into our house they hadn't been changed in I don't know how long. That could be kicking up a lot of dust and debris. I know that the last few weeks the pollen counts or whatever they call it on the news were really high for the houston area along with all the dust and dirt from the leaves falling. It was pretty dusty around my house too. Good luck to you.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
First thing, just double check for mold. I have allergy induced asthma that breaks into a hacking persistant cough if I have a cold. I moved into a new apartment (in a NICE highrise, only a few years old) and kept having the cough. Turns out it was a mold problem under the floorboards!
Also, I would see a good allergist. I got my allergist to put my on the right combo of preventative meds and I haven't had a problems since. She was a miracle worker! She also know what to put me in if I start feeling the extra cough to prevent it from turning into a hacking persistant nightmare!!! This would happen to be at least twice a year.
Also, yes, pull out the carpet. Change any air filters. Make sure there aren't curtains in the bedroom. I would even consider getting the type of blinds that are in the window pane instead. Of course, make sure she has allergy cover to her matress/ boxspring. My friend who has horrid allergies had a HEPA filtration system installed in the house. Check out this site http://www.natlallergy.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1197736850 for products to help reduce allergy. If you don't know what she is allergic to, definitly see what it is. My dr realized that I had a seasonal tree allergy so we knew to up the meds when it was that season. I also bought an Animal vacuum from dyson (I do have some carpet) and that vacuum works wonders for really getting the junk out of the carpet!
Good luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
When we moved into our new home it had old carpets, and we began hacking. We took them all up and now have wood floors.

Did the doctor say it was ashma?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Thanks everyone

The problem (stemming from a mis diagnosis) persisted because the my wife and I did not know my daughter had pertussis (whooping cough) and that it was causing her asthma to flare and for none of the medicines to work at all; especially cough medicines. The point is our daughter has gone through the wringer; and one paramedic call for choking. It has been six weeks (and this was a girl who had all her vaccines.) She is much better now but not fully out of the woods. Her voice is a whisper of its former self. She is seeing her allergist now and this woman at Children's has my daughter on the right track and healing well. My wife and I got some of this terrible cough. My wife still has it. I got rid of my cough on the first night. No, it was not a great cough medicine that rid me of the cough--I took sips of straight Bourbon; later I switched to Bourbon with honey and lemon (a strong version of a whiskey sour). No, I'm not a drinker, but I'm happy someone bought me the Bourbon a year ago. Oh, and we have checked all of the air conditioning and heater elements.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,500 times
Please know that any comments received are from individuals that do not know your daughter's health condition and your allergist would of course be the primary decision maker. As an RN, My advice in addition to other good advice given to you is to rip the carpet out ASAP!!!!! If your daughter has not been allergy tested please speak with your allergist about this...Sometimes asthma can be exercise related and you did say she played soccer. Do they occur more often after hard exercise?? Keeping in touch with your physician is so important since asthma is such an up and down roller coaster. Good Luck and let us all know how things go

Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 AM

Did you ever get up the rugs?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 AM

As we speak. Rugs are gone. We always liked hardwood floors better anyway, but being a new house and all, it was the choice of our previous owners. Much easier to keep the dust bunnies swept away with a dust mop and swifter. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 AM

Great. I would also suggest going to a nutritionist. I had bad allergies, and I cured mine, but I don't know how old your child is to know what she could take, so I will tell you how I cured my allergies, 5,000 units of Vitamin C a day along with 500 mg of Panthothic Acid. I got mild asthma from smoke inhalation, but it only bothers me in the summer heat, and the doctor said I have no allergies, and that is the second doctor that said that. Years ago I had a long list of allergies, which prompted me to take the vitamins. I am working on trying to find a way to cure my asthma through nutrition.

So she had whopping cough. I am glad that they figured that one out. Best wishes to you and your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness