Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:53 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times

Advertisements

Two non-medicinal things to try: relaxation as shingles are exacerbated by nerves; and topical treaments, like: sombra (a natural pain relieving gel); biofreeze (a pain relieving spray) and arnica gel (several different types on the market).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
I had shingles two months ago in the leg of all places. No doctor knew why I had pain until the spots showed up. Very, very fortunately, I kept gong to the doctor because of continuous pain and he saw five spots on my leg (this was after having already gone to the E.R. and having pain for a week). Pain precedes the spots which is why shingles can be hard to diagnose at first. Doctor in E.R. thought I might have a blood clot, then, after an ultrasound, they said, it was muscular. Finally, when they got it right here is what was prescribed to me: Garbentin (also used to relieve seizures) which helps pain with no sleepiness; an anti-viral med - to be taken 5X a day - so that (and I can't remember the name) the shingles don't enter the nerves and stay and also Percocet so I could sleep at night, but I didn't need that much after taking the Gabentin. To avoid shingles getting into the nerves, you must be treated within 72 hours of seeing the spots.

After correct diagnosis and treatment, all symptoms disappeared in 2 weeks, but I've heard that if not treated as quickly, can last years.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I had shingles two months ago in the leg of all places. No doctor knew why I had pain until the spots showed up. Very, very fortunately, I kept gong to the doctor because of continuous pain and he saw five spots on my leg (this was after having already gone to the E.R. and having pain for a week). Pain precedes the spots which is why shingles can be hard to diagnose at first. Doctor in E.R. thought I might have a blood clot, then, after an ultrasound, they said, it was muscular. Finally, when they got it right here is what was prescribed to me: Garbentin (also used to relieve seizures) which helps pain with no sleepiness; an anti-viral med - to be taken 5X a day - so that (and I can't remember the name) the shingles don't enter the nerves and stay and also Percocet so I could sleep at night, but I didn't need that much after taking the Gabentin. To avoid shingles getting into the nerves, you must be treated within 72 hours of seeing the spots.

After correct diagnosis and treatment, all symptoms disappeared in 2 weeks, but I've heard that if not treated as quickly, can last years.
WOW!!! Wish I had known about this when my husband had shingles. He was in a lot of pain for 6 weeks. Although, as you said, you have to be diagnosed within 72 hours and that seldom happens. You were very lucky. Now, if I should be unfortunate enough to ever get shingles I will know better what to do. Of course every Dr. has his/her own methods and medications. My husband was only offered Vicodon and one other pain killer that didn't help much at all. It is horrible for sure.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:25 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,967 times
He had pain up his arm for a week but was at a doctor on day two of the blisters. Was given Valtrex and so far he only has blisters on his wrist. He doesnt sleep because his arm must hurt, but the blisters have not as yet spread.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My shingles started with a severe backache and the tingling down my arm. The doctor recognized it immediately and prescribed an antivital medicine. He explained it starts in the spine and travels along a nerve until it comes to the end of that nerve....mine stopped above the elbow. Fortunately, it knocked it out right away. I didn't get the rash and was back to normal within a week or so.
I've been thinking of getting the shot, so I don't get again only worse next time.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM

258 posts, read 790,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
My husband went to the doctor with an achy arm to find out he had blisters on his wrist and it was shingles. He cannot sleep even with alleve, he is so uncomfortable. Any suggestions for it to be quicker than 8 weeks or for the pain? He refuses so far to take the narcotics (oxycodone) that they gave him. please help.
My mother had shingles and I can tell you what NOT to do, DON'T put cold on it. My mother did this now has been living with post neualgic pain for years!

If tolerated try taking a 1000mg tablet of vitamin C every hour around the clock. It won't hurt you, I've done it every time I get the flu and am over it in a day. Look up some vitamin C sites, many talk about shingles and how C helps.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Thumbs up Shingles Vaccine

There is now a shingles vaccine. Ask your family doctor for a fact sheet on it.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 AM

15 posts, read 92,694 times
My mother had shingles just recently at the age of 72. She went to the Dr. and he gave her a prescription (I don't know the name of it but it was past the 72 hr. mark) and within a week the shingles were gone. If need be I can ask her the name of the prescription. Let me know and I will get the name of it for you.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,314 times
I went to the Dr. because I thought I got bit by a spider on my eyelid, it was swelled up almost to the point of being closed. The Dr. gave me antibiotics, 1 of which an antiviril. which within a couple of days it gave me Thrush! I went for a check-up and then was told she thought it was Shingles and not a spider bite.
The Shingles has traveled from my left eyelid (leaving 3 scared looking circles) and now it is on my head, it hurts if I scratch or brush my hair. I think I am even loosing my hair, not sure that can happen!
I'm due to go back to the Dr. I hope there is something that can be done, if anyone can enlighten me on this please do so.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default More on the shingles vaccine

Yes, that vaccine has been out only for two or three years now (I don't remember exactly). After hearing a friend describe his shingles, I went and got the shot.

To the OP: Like your husband, I tend to shy away from prescription meds too. But if I were even half as miserable as you describe him to be, I would jump on the Oxicodone in a heatbeat, even if only at night in an effort to get some sleep. What makes him so dead set against Oxicodone? (Which I think I am mis-spelling).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness