Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 04:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

Right at 7½ years ago, gallstones were discovered inside of me. This came after a period of a couple of months or more where I would suddenly have what was apparently "referred" back pain episodes periodically. The night they were discovered, I went to the hospital because I had a pain episode that was far greater than any of the prior ones, I was in the emergency room pounding on the floor in agony it hurt me so badly.

They recommended surgery, but I never followed through when there were some people who told me that after having their gall bladder removed they had more problems with respect to digestion of certain foods. On an unrelated case, 2 years after that my wife started having pains she couldn't explain, they were apparently gallstone attacks also, as they strongly recommended removal of her gall bladder and she had it done. Since then, she's developed problems with GERD and such and she wishes she had not had it removed, although they had told her she could die if she didn't.

Getting back to me--most of the times since, I've had no such problems. The only possible exception is I've had occasion maybe 2 times in that 7 year period where I would feel very bloated, could hardly eat much of anything, I was very "burpy," and my stools were very loose, and when I would get that it would last a couple of weeks or more. There wasn't necessarily any "referenced" back pain, though, and NEVER have I had an episode remotely like the one that sent me to the hospital that one time. However, I did, about a month ago, have an occasion where I woke up feeling very bloated and when I burped some acid-like liquids were produced. I had very loose stools and not much of an appetite. After a couple of days, though, I was back to normal.

Since I've had no intense gallstone attack pains since that time, it's easy to think that it's now a non-issue. However, I tend to think that there's no way that just goes away for good either. Yet even so, you'd think after 7½ years something serious would've happened by now.

Would it be safe to say that I can just continue as-is unless the day comes that I have another gallstones attack? I have heard of stories of people having their gall bladder explode, I would assume this would be very painful like a gallstones attack and no way you could miss it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I don't think anyone here can give you medical advice. (The last time I checked my own medical credentials, I didn't have any!) But if you want real medical advice, visit a doctor. I had my gallbladder removed around 5 years ago, after several months of gall stone attacks, and I have no regrets at all. Yes, loose stool after eating some foods is more of a problem, but after suffering through months of gall stone attacks, I can deal with it OK.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:48 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I had the surgery on May 5th and that was after they had found them about 2 1/2 years ago through test for my prostate cancer. I put the gallstones on the back burner at that point and had the prostate removed. I don't think I was having major symptoms but I am doing well now. I went into the surgery at 6:30 AM and I was out the door at 1 PM on May 5th. Only trouble was some soreness but no big scars and at least it is over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness