Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times

Advertisements

I am currently helping a customer with MS and am finding that it's hard for her to understand what I'm explaining to her. It's as if I was speaking another language. Is this common? How come Mitt Romney's wife appeared so normal even though she had/s MS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
MS affects different people in various and different ways. More information is needed on your statement "understanding what I'm explaining" to her.
M<y wife has had MS for over 60 years and has no problem understanding people.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How come Mitt Romney's wife appeared so normal even though she had/s MS?
No political commentary intended, but Mrs. Romney likely has at her disposal medical professionals and drug therapies most MS patients would find cost prohibitive.

wit-nit makes an even better point however. The disease effects people differently. My mother has had MS for some thirty years and her comprehension skills are excellent. Mobility is a different matter.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,806,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am currently helping a customer with MS and am finding that it's hard for her to understand what I'm explaining to her. It's as if I was speaking another language. Is this common? How come Mitt Romney's wife appeared so normal even though she had/s MS?
MS causes cognitive issues also and that might be the problem.

I have had MS for 24 yrs and can still walk and stuff but I don't drive far from home because I tend to get lost.

I was a laser technician for 25 yrs and had to stop working because I almost hurt somebody with a laser beam and my nerologist said it affects your thinking and concentration and to stop working with lasers before somebody gets hurt.

It does happen to some people with the disease.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My dad has had MS for more than 30 years. He used to have vision troubles and problems with one leg. His physical issues went away and the cognitive issues started after that.

Because there are so many different nerves in the body, MS affects everyone differently. The coating on the nerves which MS damages can also heal itself, so some symptoms may get better, or follow a pattern of getting worse and getting better.

There are mental exercises for people with MS to help prevent cognitive problems.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:55 AM

752 posts, read 1,493,820 times
MS is one of the conditions sometimes referred to as a "great imitator", due to the fact its symptoms often lead to a misdiagnosis early on..also, the symptoms vary so much person to person with only a few being more or less universal (like fatigue, odd sensations and mobility impairment) but even with those there is a wide variance in severity and specific symptoms--and many can be (and often are initially) attributed to some other cause. The age of onset is also fairly wide, but tends to be in early adulthood--though because of its symptoms often appearing like something else, diagnosis is typically only made after several years.
There isn't even a single test which can be used to definitively determine if one has multiple sclerosis or not. Its one of the most mysterious diseases that effects humans, but treatment options have been improving over the last several years, though none are 100 per cent effective.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 PM

52 posts, read 696,500 times
I have had MS over 25 years and fine.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:55 PM

I have symptoms of MS and some physicians I have been to have said "yes, you probably have it" and a few more have said' either "not sure, or no, I do not think you have it", though since I have begun to have a few new symptoms, my doctor has said, yes its likely and I have tried a couple of medications (which have allivated some symptoms that have to do with nerves).
Looking in hindsight, I began to have some symptoms ten years ago, while I was in my final year of Undergrad. They were quite mild and would go away for a time, then return, but in those first years they were not to the point of impairment and I (and the doctor) chalked them up to stress---these symptons were general fatigue, a muscle twitching in the arms and a leg later on, bowel issues, a rash which came and went, and later on a decrease in fine motor control of my fingers and other limbs (I can not draw, write or type quite as well as I used to).

Over those ten years some of these have become permanent, such as the loss of some fine motor control of my hands, well as bowel issues and muscle spasms--and I walk with a slightly different gait than I used to--running often will cause a tightening of muscles in my right leg after a few minutes so I must compensate for that when I go jogging (which is less often than it was say 3 years ago). I also have some memory and cognitive changes, such as a decreases in concentration for periods well as I get confused easier than I used (I am only 34). I find planing is also more of a time consuming process than it used to be.
A more recent MRI (in 2011) showed signs of some atrophy in the brain, which is common in some MS patients. So, I lead a 'normal' life as I have all along, but some things I have had to change...but its the uncertainty of the future which has me worried...if what this is, is in fact MS, the prognosis is quite uncertain.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 AM

22,184 posts, read 14,806,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
I have symptoms of MS and some physicians I have been to have said "yes, you probably have it" and a few more have said' either "not sure, or no, I do not think you have it", though since I have begun to have a few new symptoms, my doctor has said, yes its likely and I have tried a couple of medications (which have allivated some symptoms that have to do with nerves).
Looking in hindsight, I began to have some symptoms ten years ago, while I was in my final year of Undergrad. They were quite mild and would go away for a time, then return, but in those first years they were not to the point of impairment and I (and the doctor) chalked them up to stress---these symptons were general fatigue, a muscle twitching in the arms and a leg later on, bowel issues, a rash which came and went, and later on a decrease in fine motor control of my fingers and other limbs (I can not draw, write or type quite as well as I used to).

Over those ten years some of these have become permanent, such as the loss of some fine motor control of my hands, well as bowel issues and muscle spasms--and I walk with a slightly different gait than I used to--running often will cause a tightening of muscles in my right leg after a few minutes so I must compensate for that when I go jogging (which is less often than it was say 3 years ago). I also have some memory and cognitive changes, such as a decreases in concentration for periods well as I get confused easier than I used (I am only 34). I find planing is also more of a time consuming process than it used to be.
A more recent MRI (in 2011) showed signs of some atrophy in the brain, which is common in some MS patients. So, I lead a 'normal' life as I have all along, but some things I have had to change...but its the uncertainty of the future which has me worried...if what this is, is in fact MS, the prognosis is quite uncertain.
I saw 4 neurologists and then went to Mass General and they did a spinal tap which confirmed I had M.S.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
I saw 4 neurologists and then went to Mass General and they did a spinal tap which confirmed I had M.S.
Over how much time was this? I have been to a few over the last few years---the spinal tap thing has been brought up but I have not had that done...i shiver just thinking about that. I have had MRIs, other various neurological tests (which indicate issues).

Last edited by Austin023; 11-22-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness