Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 02:59 PM

277 posts, read 688,421 times

Advertisements

I was in a minor car accident yesterday. Some young guy in a compact pick up truck using his cell phone
not paying attention. I was at a dead stop at a red light and he just rammed into the back of my car. I'd estimate he was going 20 (?) mph but I don't know for sure. It was a pretty good "bump" knocking most of the stuff on my passenger seat (work bag, purse, etc.) onto the passenger side floor.

At first I thought I was just fine. Did not feel injured at all. Police were called and report was taken, he was not charged even though the report says he "failed to reduce his speed" and was "distracted by his phone". As the day wore on at work, my neck began to feel stiff and sore so I went to Urgent Care on my own accord. I was given a muscle relaxant and told to ice, ice, ice. That's exactly what I did yesterday afternoon and last night. I took 2 muscle relaxants last night (as prescribed) but only 1 this morning since I was going to work.

So . . today is worse and now it's getting to the point where I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck. My neck is soooooo stiff and sore. But this afternoon, I also started feeling dizzy - not like room spinning dizzy, but just off kilter, light headed, etc. It gets worse if I move my eyes and/or head up and down or side to side.

Does anyone know if this is normal or to be expected? I called the Urgent Care and they advised me to go to the ER as soon as possible - but I just feel like that is pretty extreme. Not to mention, the wait time is usually horrible. I will go if I have to, but I really don't want to - especially on a holiday weekend when they will probably be extra busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Go get checked out, and the sooner the better. If something is wrong you need it documented, so the insurance can't try to blame it on something else.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Sounds like you have whiplash. Go to the ER and get it documented for your insurance.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Everyone has said just about the same thing and for all the right reasons, nothing here to fool around with...and just to make sure. We never know if and when something more serious will present itself down the road. Also, I suspect the ER will be far less busy today/tonight than it will be tomorrow on the 4th!

Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Yes, typical whiplash symptoms. Very serious, especially if if you don't see a doctor soon about it. You could end up with months of pain and problems if it isn't addressed soon. You'd also want to notify the insurance company about it to collect medical benefits. Hope the other person was insured. It makes it easier to deal with than one that's not insured, even if you have uninsured driver insurance.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
I would make a BIG DEAL about getting this guy charged with using his cell phone while driving. Call the county sheriff's office and file a complaint against the police department (for doing nothing). Contact the district attorney. Contact your state's department of justice. Your state elected representatives, etc.

Texting while driving is now the leading cause of teenage death. It will not be long before they start "taking out" other people. It is because adults do not punish these kids that they do not worry about breaking rules. Time to start letting them know there are consequences for their actions!

Last edited by Billy_J; 07-04-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-04-2014, 09:25 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times
I had whiplash from being hit by an ambulance....it is nothing to fool around with. I ended up with 2 disc herniations in my neck...please get it checked and this way it's documented as was said in previous posts. They will probably do xrays, maybe an MRI. Feel better!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 AM

88 posts, read 167,373 times
It seems like a minor thing. If the symptons don't get worse there's no need to bother.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:51 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
If you are still feeling dizzy after a car accident go to the doctor!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:07 PM

277 posts, read 688,421 times
Thank you all for the great advice - I did go to the ER on July 3rd and my CT scan came back negative. So I am just trying to take it easy and pop a lot of Aleve to get thru the day. Neck is still stiff and sore and I ended up with quite a bit of bruising.

I plan on seeing a chiropractor as soon as I can find one that I can trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness