Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have advice as to a mobility scooter ? Wife has MS and can not walk long distances. I would be interested in those that can fit in the trunk of a Lexus or Cadillac. I assume they come apart in pieces? She is about 130 lbs so not real heavy. Also, don't need headlight or using for street transportation. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Go to any home medical equipment company and ask. They are quite knowledgeable about the products they carry.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:51 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Contact a local mobility dealer and check out their different models. And when you find one that you think meets your needs see if you can rent it for a month or so to get the feel of it.
Here is an excellent web site explaining the different types.
5 Things to Consider when Choosing a Mobility Scooter | Medical Supplies | Home Medical Equipment | Discount Medical Supply Store

Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
My dad uses a car rack for his scooter, it fits on the back bumper of his Crown Vic and looks something like this =http://www.easymobilityco.com/mobili...ilt_a_rack.htm

As he's in his 80;s medicare paid for the scooter and the rack.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:50 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Thanks to all who have responded. I was hoping for some personal experiences with them. I was also hoping that we wouldn't have to go to a scooter on the back bumper. I have seen these and I would worry about dirt and rain. Also, not really wanting to have to buy an SUV or CUV to haul it. She does well around the house and limited walking but long distances are a problem. We went to Longwood Gardens a couple years ago and they had the scooters to tour the grounds. It worked really well. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Instead of a scooter, you may want to look into a power wheelchair. They have easily portable models now, easier to get in a standard car such as these, especially the bottom one: http://www.drivemedical.com/index.ph...eelchairs.html

If your wife still has relatively good postural strength and balance bit it's mainly an endurance issue, something like this may be perfect for her. I would definitely go through a local medical equipment dealer, because you want to know someone is nearby to come fix it when it breaks or needs a new battery. They will help you fill out the insurance paperwork. You do need a doctor's prescription, and there will be forms asking how far your wife can walk, etc. but I'd wait until you know exactly what you want so he can be specific in the prescription (if he writes "scooter" you won't be able to get a power w/c)

Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Thanks to all who have responded. I was hoping for some personal experiences with them. I was also hoping that we wouldn't have to go to a scooter on the back bumper. I have seen these and I would worry about dirt and rain. Also, not really wanting to have to buy an SUV or CUV to haul it. She does well around the house and limited walking but long distances are a problem. We went to Longwood Gardens a couple years ago and they had the scooters to tour the grounds. It worked really well. Thanks again.
Most of our MS friends use one of these 3 wheelers that fit into their car trunks. Lightweight and e-z to take apart and put back together. Most disassemble into 3 sections.
Mobility Scooter Reviews

Old 06-30-2016, 11:15 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Travel mobility scooters sound like what you need, they easily fit in trunks, maybe in a few pieces, and are made for short trips as opposed to the heavy duty all day rides, or the outdoor models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness