Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There has always been a nurse present when I've had a pelvic exam, whether the doctor was female or male. I usually get the metal speculum because I am a larger woman and the little plastic speculums are too short to do the job. The metal one is kept in a warming drawer. The lube is warmed also. I've seen cloth gowns and paper gowns. The hospital always has cloth gowns. I've also seen paper sheets, to go with the paper gown. When I've gone for a problem rather than a well-woman exam, they usually don't ask me to change into a gown, just take off my pants and underpants and cover up with the sheet.

I remember being really embarrassed my first time, and worried that I would smell weird. I tried not to have to pee before the exam because I didn't want to smell like pee. They have you give a urine sample (to test for pregnancy) before the exam anyhow, so I held it all day for no reason. The pelvic exam is much more comfortable if you've emptied your bladder just before the exam.

If you usually shave, then go ahead and do your usual thing. Don't shave for the first time before you go...you will end up with bumps and irritated skin and the whole area will look like a mess. If you have really long pubes, then you could trim a little bit with scissors if it would make you feel better. Your doctor isn't going to care. I always shave but I've never had a doctor tell me anything about it one way or the other.

The breast exam is not a big deal...they just press on the breast tissue to feel for lumps. They don't do anything to your nipples.

The pelvic exam will feel like a little bit of pressure from the speculum, while they look inside. Then they remove the speculum and put a couple of fingers inside of you and then press on your abdomen so they can feel your ovaries.

Make sure while you're there, you ask any questions you have been wanting to ask about your period, about birth control, about your developing body, etc. If you want birth control and you think your dad would have a cow, you can tell him it's to help make your periods lighter, or more regular, or to help with acne (if that's an issue you have). Also, be honest with the doctor if they ask if you're sexually active and things like that. They're not going to tell your dad what you tell them, but they need to know so they can give you the best care possible.
Good advice there!

Reminds me of a story a nurse who worked in an OB-GYN office told me one time. Apparently one of their patients went to the bathroom just before her exam, and for some reason found they had run out of toilet paper in that bathroom. She fished in her purse to find a tissue to wipe herself, and that's what she used. So on with the exam..... apparently there had been one of those old "S and H" green stamps stuck on the tissue the woman used to wipe herself, and there was that stamp, stuck right on the woman's vagina. The doc pulled it off, held it up for the woman to see, and they all had a good laugh over it. That stamp did lighten up the moment for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
How old were you first gyn exam: 18
You were a virgin: Yes
Your doctor is: male or female Female
Who was in the room besides the doctor: Nurse
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Naked
Given a gown or sheet: Sheet
Did you get a breast exam: Yes
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non
Did you get a pap smear: Yes
Were you comfortable during the exam: Somewhat
What the worst part of the exam: Pelvic exam

She tried using the speculum (virgin version), but it hurt too much so she used her hand which still hurts. She wants me to get the Gardasil vaccine (for HPV and cervical cancer), but I'm not sure if I want to.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Good advice there!

Reminds me of a story a nurse who worked in an OB-GYN office told me one time. Apparently one of their patients went to the bathroom just before her exam, and for some reason found they had run out of toilet paper in that bathroom. She fished in her purse to find a tissue to wipe herself, and that's what she used. So on with the exam..... apparently there had been one of those old "S and H" green stamps stuck on the tissue the woman used to wipe herself, and there was that stamp, stuck right on the woman's vagina. The doc pulled it off, held it up for the woman to see, and they all had a good laugh over it. That stamp did lighten up the moment for everybody.
Good advice, for sure. Not fun to lie there wishing you'd peed first. I usually wipe off with a damp towel beforehand to make sure I don't have 50 little bits of toilet paper stuck everywhere. Whatever you do, though, don't use the sterile wipes on the counter at the office. They use those to wipe off all the surfaces between people. I made the mistake of using one some years ago, since I had forgotten to wash off. They BURN on your more sensitive tissues. NOT a smart idea.

I've never had to give a urine sample at the gyno, though. Not once in 21 visits. So I don't know how normal that is.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
urine samples were de rigeur for every doc visit I had. maybe to look for uti's which can be associated with sexual activity and/or pregnancy. you want to give that sample before you get undressed and in the stirrups and not after the exam and then have to go back to talk to the doc. simple urine tests don't take very long and the patient can have results given to her at the time of the little talk after the exam.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
OP, just be sure to tell everyone present that it is your first time. Then, just follow the instructions from the doctor or PA and try to relax as best you can.

It is tons easier today than it used to be, and worrying about it will make it tons harder than the exam itself!

After you've been through it, you'll know what to expect, and it'll be much easier next time.

Yeah, women don't look forward to it, but it's a necessary evil in order to stay healthy.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna15 View Post
Hi I am just wondering what happens during your first gynecologist exam my dad is taking me in few days to my first gyn exam so that I have vaginitis I am wondering what the exam is going to consist of. I am very nervous and kinda about going.
Should I shave down there? (I have little hair only on abdomen)

How old were you first gyn exam: 22
You were a virgin: Yes (still am)
Your doctor is: male or female Female
Who was in the room besides the doctor: No one
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: bottom
Given a gown or sheet: Yes
Did you get a breast exam: Yes
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non: They couldn't. I have a thick hymen and couldn't perform an internal. They just swabbed what they could, since I'm a virgin it wasn't a big deal.
Did you get a pap smear: See above.
Were you comfortable during the exam: It hurt me because of my problem.
What the worst part of the exam:

Since you know you have vaginitis, I would tell the doctor... they should be easy on you.My doctor was unhelpful and after things happened to me, even more so. I plan on getting a new doctor when I move.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

108 posts, read 131,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That is so stupid. Everybody's body changes at certain age. Young men should check themselves for irregularities in their testicles as well and not be afraid to have it checked out by a doctor.Testicular cancer is usually a young man's disease and caught early can be 100% cured.
Still, 40 is way to soon for such an invasive exam.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermoMan View Post
Still, 40 is way to soon for such an invasive exam.
That's not what my father said when he got prostate cancer at 38.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
You want to go to someone experienced, I went to a Womens Clinic last week and had one done by a nurse, I barely felt it.

If you go to someone that doesn't do them all the time, it can HURT, also be a waste of time because bleeding makes the results void.

Definitely choose some sort of Womens Clinic if you can. Or a good gyn.***

How old were you first gyn exam: 15
You were a virgin: lol
Your doctor is: male or female female
Who was in the room besides the doctor: um...no one? my bff?
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: fully dressed undies off
Given a gown or sheet: nope wore a skirt (schoolgirl)
Did you get a breast exam:yes
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non yes to all
Did you get a pap smear:yes
Were you comfortable during the exam:no one ever is
What the worst part of the exam:scrapingggggg

***had more smears than hot dinners

Last edited by cindersslipper; 07-16-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
<shrug> It doesn't matter; it's not like they're some deep dark secret. I'd say that it's better for people (male or female) to know what happens than to have to use their imaginations. Ever see that Jeremy Irons movie, "Dead Ringers"? I think that kind of stuff is what people will imagine, strange, painful instruments, etc., because nobody gives the details of what goes on in a regular gyno visit.
That movie still HAUNTS me to this day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness