Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 11,103 times

Advertisements

Hi I am just wondering what happens during your first gynecologist exam my dad is taking me in few days to my first gyn exam so that I have vaginitis I am wondering what the exam is going to consist of. I am very nervous and kinda about going.
Should I shave down there? (I have little hair only on abdomen)

How old were you first gyn exam:
You were a virgin:
Your doctor is: male or female
Who was in the room besides the doctor:
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom:
Given a gown or sheet:
Did you get a breast exam:
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non
Did you get a pap smear:
Were you comfortable during the exam:
What the worst part of the exam:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna15 View Post
Hi I am just wondering what happens during your first gynecologist exam my dad is taking me in few days to my first gyn exam so that I have vaginitis I am wondering what the exam is going to consist of. I am very nervous and kinda about going.

How old were you first gyn exam: 18
You were a virgin: No
Your doctor is: male or female Male
Who was in the room besides the doctor: Nurse
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Only wearing one of those lousy gowns
Given a gown or sheet: Sheet plus gown
Did you get a breast exam: Yes
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non Of course, that's the purpose of the exam
Did you get a pap smear: Yes
Were you comfortable during the exam: No, and never was all the decades and many exams later
Embarassment

Shave? Why? Just realize that medical professionals (unless they are nutcases) have seen every part of the human body (inside and out) and your's is nothing new to them. It's all mechanical.

There may be something wrong with any gal who jumps with joy at the thought of a pelvic exam.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna15 View Post

You were a virgin:
Your doctor is: male or female
Who was in the room besides the doctor:
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom:
Given a gown or sheet:
Did you get a breast exam:
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non
Did you get a pap smear:
Were you comfortable during the exam:
Do not worry, there is nothing to be embarrassed, scared or nervous about! If you start to feel embarassed, just remember the doctor sees tons of vaginas a day and being young and (hopefully) healthy yours is just another "face" in the crowd.

Don't shave. I shave and everytime I go in clean shaven the doctors (I had a doctor in my old city, and a doctor now in my new city) have recommended not shaving everything.

The exam should only take about 15-20 minutes. She will take your history. And then you will go into the exam room and examin you. I had high risk HPV for a number of years and have had a number of surgeries and procetures so a well woman visit is a walk in the park for me.

You were a virgin: 18
Your doctor is: male or female My doctor now is female, but I have also been to a male doctor. There is really no difference.
Who was in the room besides the doctor: Just me! Unless you are at a teaching hospital they might have a student. I've never had this for a gyno exam, but I have had it for other stuff.
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Totally naked.
Given a gown or sheet: They give you a gown that opens in the front and a sheet to drape across your lap
Did you get a breast exam:Yes, I have always found this to be the most awkward part because they tend to look at you and make conversation while they are doing it.
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non Yes. Both. I have also had a rectal exam for an ovarian cyst a few times. Not a big deal.
Did you get a pap smear: Yes. Takes 10 seconds and now you only have to have one every other year if you are of child bearing years.
Were you comfortable during the exam: Yes. I wouldn't say anything about the exam really hurts. It's just feelings that you are not used to feeling.
What the worst part of the exam Getting blood taken for the HIV text. I hate needles!

Don't you worry one little bit. It will be fine and then you can go for lunch after.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:09 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Great responses and comments! I just wanted to add to the OP that I'm sure the doctor will be aware that this is your first pelvic exam and how young you are, and he/she will go out of his/or her way to settle your nervousness and make you feel at ease.

They're experts at all this "gynie" stuff, they do it all the time. I hope your experience will be one that you look back on, and wonder why you were ever so nervous about it. Though it's perfectly natural to be nervous about such things, happens to everyone!

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
you are lucky you are doing this now and not 50 years ago like I did. Now they use disposable plastic speculum which they put ky jelly on to lubricate and then slowly insert to kind of "crank you open"-not really that bad--so doc can exam and do pap smear.

in the stone age they used a metal speculum which I swear they kept in the freezer- man was that thing cold. by law a nurse has to be in the room with you-also not the case years ago or at least it was not always the rule. But today with so many law suits only a fool would not have a witness in the room.

when the exam is over the doc or nurse will hand you some tissue to wipe away the lubricant- and then tell you to get dressed and they will see you in the office. wait till they are out of the room to wipe yourself clean. Just a little way to preserve your modesty and dignity.

also whenever I see a new doctor I always insist on meeting the doctor for the first time fully clothed and sitting up. I know it takes more time but I'll be damned if I'm gonna meet ANYBODY medical or not for the first time half naked with my legs spread open. It's a matter of dignity and respect. Insist on meeting this doctor first before you get undressed in the stirrups.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

in the stone age they used a metal speculum which I swear they kept in the freezer- man was that thing cold. by law a nurse has to be in the room with you-also not the case years ago or at least it was not always the rule. But today with so many law suits only a fool would not have a witness in the room..
Are you sure? I've NEVER had a nurse in the room with me, ever and I've been going to the GYN for 10 years. Most practices don't even have real nurses, just PAs. I've also always had a metal speculum. I've been to two different practices and had two different doctors.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I'm sure things are different around the country. Maybe a "nurse" doesn't have to be in the room but any wise doctor -especially a male- will have one there. If for no other reason than to assist the doctor.

I lost my virginity to a contemptible doctor in 1963 when I was 17 and didn't realize what was happening to me. When my hymen showed up in my underwear the next day I knew he actually had raped me and not with an instrument. He most definitely was in such a position he was raping me and I was too green to know it at the time.. I later talked to several doctors who told me I could have had a perfectly safe exam without that happening. I only went in because I got an infection from swimming in a yucky pond. Since then I will ask for a nurse but rarely have I been examined without a nurse being in there so I rarely- maybe only 3 or 4 times- have I made that request. Noone has ever objected either. They always say "Certainly. if it will make you more comfortable then that is just fine".

Several years later somebody complained to the hospital about inappropriate behavior by this doctor and he eventually lost his license and committed suicide. After that more and more women came forward. It was very brave in those days to even talk about such a thing happening. By the way his name was Dr. D. Flowers. I'm not kidding either.

You do realize that a PA , Physicians Assistant is head and shoulders above "a real nurse" in education and script writing capabilities don't you? I'm 68 years old and cannot count on all my fingers and toes how many pelvic exams I've had in my life all over the country and I haven't seen a metal speculum in ages. I'm sure they still use them in some places but my friends of reproductive age tell me more and more are using plastic. I had a complete hysterectomy 6 years ago and haven't had a pelvic since then so maybe some are going back to metal but hopefully they aren't still storing them in the "freezer".

Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You do realize that a PA , Physicians Assistant is head and shoulders above "a real nurse" in education and script writing capabilities don't you? I'm 68 years old and cannot count on all my fingers and toes how many pelvic exams I've had in my life all over the country and I haven't seen a metal speculum in ages. I'm sure they still use them in some places but my friends of reproductive age tell me more and more are using plastic. I had a complete hysterectomy 6 years ago and haven't had a pelvic since then so maybe some are going back to metal but hopefully they aren't still storing them in the "freezer".
I'm not arguing that a PA is better/worse than a nurse. I am sure just saying a nurse isn't a PA and a PA isn't a nurse. I sometimes see the nurse practicioner instead of my doctor when I can't get an appointment. She can write prescriptions. She isn't going to just stand in the room while the doctor preforms an exam.

I've always had the metal speculum. Don't remember them being that cold. I've also had cloth gowns as well.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:36 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Are you sure? I've NEVER had a nurse in the room with me, ever and I've been going to the GYN for 10 years. Most practices don't even have real nurses, just PAs. I've also always had a metal speculum. I've been to two different practices and had two different doctors.
In all 4 states that I've had gyn exams over the last 30+ years, there have been nurses there for all of the ones conducted by male doctors. Not that I was all that worried, you understand, but many doctors feel that having someone in the room during the exam is protective of them, in case someone makes an accusation. Last time, my husband came in, too. I figure it's only fair for him to see what happens.

OP, it's really not that big a deal. The first time or two, it feels strange, because it is strange to you. But it is done very professionally, and if they have been informed that you are a nervous newbie, they'll take extra time. If you need to, ask them to tell you everything they are doing (most of mine have done this as a matter of course).

There's a routine - mostly, they go like this: You sign in, fill out paperwork, wait to be called. Nurse or PA calls you back. They get your height and weight, and take you to an exam room, where they will take your temperature, pulse, and blood pressure. The nurse/PA will also ask the reason for your visit and if you have any concerns. Then they will give you a gown and sheet (either or both may be paper, but the gown is usually fabric), tell you to take off all of your clothes, put the gown on, where to put the sheet, and tell you to wait for the doctor.

When the doctor comes in, s/he will talk to you for a few minutes, going over what the nurse/PA has recorded, and will possibly listen to your heart & lungs & palpate your neck to check your thyroid. Then it will be time for the exam, and the chaperone will come in. You'll lie back on the table with the sheet over your lap. My experience has been that, after I put my feet in the stirrups, I nearly always have to scootch down further on the table. Your butt has to be at the edge. The doctor will lube the speculum and insert it, look inside, and then use fingers inside and a hand on your abdomen to feel your uterus and ovaries. Some doctors also will put a finger in your anus and fingers in your vagina to feel the organs from that perspective. It's quick. If you are having a Pap smear, s/he will tell you that you will feel a bit of scraping as they get cells from your cervix. It's just a little uncomfortable. Once these things are done, the speculum will be removed.

If you are having a breast exam, that will be done at this time. It takes about a minute per breast for me (but mine are ginormous, YMMV), and is done with fingers flat, using circular motions over the whole breast. You'll put your arms up over your head, usually one at a time to put the breast in the best position for the exam.

They are very conscious of your dignity during gyn exams, and you will be covered except when things are actually being done. The doctor will probably give you the synopsis right after the exam, including what prescriptions, if any, you will get. Then you'll be left alone to re-dress and to wonder how many tubes of lube they used (it's always a goo-fest). Then you check out and you're done!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
There has always been a nurse present when I've had a pelvic exam, whether the doctor was female or male. I usually get the metal speculum because I am a larger woman and the little plastic speculums are too short to do the job. The metal one is kept in a warming drawer. The lube is warmed also. I've seen cloth gowns and paper gowns. The hospital always has cloth gowns. I've also seen paper sheets, to go with the paper gown. When I've gone for a problem rather than a well-woman exam, they usually don't ask me to change into a gown, just take off my pants and underpants and cover up with the sheet.

For the OP's questions:

How old were you first gyn exam: 16
You were a virgin: yes
Your doctor is: male or female I've seen both, makes no difference to me.
Who was in the room besides the doctor: A nurse.
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Naked
Given a gown or sheet: Both, a gown to wear and a sheet to put over my legs, the sheet is between you and the doctor during the exam, so they're just looking at the part they're examining.
Did you get a breast exam: yes
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non yes
Did you get a pap smear: yes
Were you comfortable during the exam: scared and embarrassed (during my first exam)
What the worst part of the exam: slight discomfort when they press on your abdomen

I remember being really embarrassed my first time, and worried that I would smell weird. I tried not to have to pee before the exam because I didn't want to smell like pee. They have you give a urine sample (to test for pregnancy) before the exam anyhow, so I held it all day for no reason. The pelvic exam is much more comfortable if you've emptied your bladder just before the exam.

If you usually shave, then go ahead and do your usual thing. Don't shave for the first time before you go...you will end up with bumps and irritated skin and the whole area will look like a mess. If you have really long pubes, then you could trim a little bit with scissors if it would make you feel better. Your doctor isn't going to care. I always shave but I've never had a doctor tell me anything about it one way or the other.

The breast exam is not a big deal...they just press on the breast tissue to feel for lumps. They don't do anything to your nipples.

The pelvic exam will feel like a little bit of pressure from the speculum, while they look inside. Then they remove the speculum and put a couple of fingers inside of you and then press on your abdomen so they can feel your ovaries.

Make sure while you're there, you ask any questions you have been wanting to ask about your period, about birth control, about your developing body, etc. If you want birth control and you think your dad would have a cow, you can tell him it's to help make your periods lighter, or more regular, or to help with acne (if that's an issue you have). Also, be honest with the doctor if they ask if you're sexually active and things like that. They're not going to tell your dad what you tell them, but they need to know so they can give you the best care possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness