Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

I think the fact that you CAN drink 12 or more drinks in one evening is what's scary. I would pass out by about drink 5 or 6, for reference. 3-4 beers over several hours once a week is my max limit on alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
OP, you don't need to worry about becoming an alcoholic. You're already there.
This!

Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Guess what--not everyone who consumes alcohol regularly or somewhat regularly is a college kid who's never gotten truly inebriated before! Anecdotal evidence has its place, but in this case, your response is irrelevant

Guess what...people do die from binge drinking and yes it's relevant...he asked what could happen and I said he could die.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think the fact that you CAN drink 12 or more drinks in one evening is what's scary. I would pass out by about drink 5 or 6, for reference. 3-4 beers over several hours once a week is my max limit on alcohol.
It's extremely likely that the bartender is making those drinks progressively weaker as the night goes on; the OP may not be drinking much more alcohol than he would if he stuck to 3/4 drinks.

Bartenders have enough legal liability these days concerning overserving that most of them watch their own backs by reducing alcohol amounts substantially as the night goes on, especially for people who sit there and drink eight to twelve cocktails. One trick is to hold a finger over the pouring spout so the glass is filled only with mixer and to splash a bit of alcohol on top so it tastes and smells like an actual cocktail.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-29-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 05:15 PM

551 posts, read 582,708 times
OP It's great that you recognize the issue- that's a huge chunk of the battle, right there. Whether or not you need AA or some other form of counseling, only you can know. Anecdotally- I avoid drinking completely. Previously when I have gone out on the town I, like you, would plan on just a couple of drinks but every time I'd end up throwing back as many as you do. I enjoyed going out with my ex and the energy and excitement of being out there, but for people with impulse control drinking any alcohol is a real danger zone. I typically would go out maybe 4 or 5 times a year and drink as you do, but even that is hard on the body. I haven't been out drinking since last winter and don't miss it in the least. There are so many other ways to socialize and experience things with other people that do not involve harming yourself physically and psychologically.

The effects of what you are doing may not be obvious yet but someday the aggregate will catch up with you- whether it be liver or other organ damage, early aging (a certainty if you continue as you are), loss of relationships, loss of career/livelihood, legal issues, etc. There is nothing positive to gain from this.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I will clearly state that, IMO, you are not an alcoholic. I do not use that term. The term I DO use was originally coined by Alan Willoughby - The Alcohol Troubled Person. You ARE an Alcohol Troubled Person. You aren't in serious trouble, but that can change over night - what would it take? A DUI, loss of vision in that eye, etc.

Binge drinking is a serious issue. And in your case, as some have pointed out, that you drink far more than you intend, shows you are in trouble. That you set out to a bar to have your meal and a drink, shows that some part of you intends to have more than 1 ... or 2. top shelf, beer, wine, does it really matter in the end?

It doesn't matter what method you use, get yourself some help - now, before your drinking affects your health...further. Before it becomes more often or just more.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
After 3 years of never drinking an ounce of alcohol, I am going to the bar alone once a week. This started in May. I dislike the taste of beer, I only order cocktails, mostly top shelf stuff. And good food. I go in telling myself I'm going to have 3-4 cocktails tops, and by the end of the night I've had 8-12 cocktails. I do not drive home drunk. I arrange a taxi, phone a friend, or walk to a nearby hotel and stay there for the night while relaxing with amenities.

Can someone become an alcoholic drinking like this once a week, can any health issues arise?

Edit: WTF there's a red spot in one of my eyes this morning, looks to be something called "subconjunctival hemorrhage". But drinking doesn't cause that does it?

You're already an alcoholic.

It doesn't matter if you drink "top shelf" or Ripple; alcohol is alcohol.

Yes, health issues can arise, including death by alcohol poisoning.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:57 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
So after reading the responses I decided I'm going to make plans to go to an open AA meeting just to see what a group of people who have "been there" think about the situation.

The only negative effects I've felt so far from a "functional" perspective is forgetting my older brother's birthday and going in to work one day after a night of drinking with a flushed, pale face and making one mild remark I should not have during an internal meeting.

From what I understand, a standard "drink" is one 1.25 oz. shot of hard liquor right? And since cocktails can have more than this, 8 cocktails could be more than 8 "drinks" right? Such as a top shelf Long Island or a jumbo 32 oz. Margarita.

As for what I meant for after 3 years; 3 years ago I would drink a glass of wine during holidays and special celebrations. One day a pharmacist prescribed the wrong dose of a medication that was a depressant and it scared me into never drinking alcohol over the 3 year period. Someone seduced me one night and convinced me to drink again and here I am now, loving mixed drinks because of the feelings I associate it with and realizing that there are many people out there in bars that I could socialize and share life experiences with.
Good job. None of this has anything to do with measuring "how much" you're drinking. You have nothing to lose.

EXCEPT DO NOT HOOK UP OR GET INTERESTED IN ANOTHER ROMANTIC LIASON WITH SOMEONE FROM THE MEETINGS. (it happens sometimes).

Some people just "can't drink". My ex is one, his eyes glaze over quickly and he feels it. My son inherited that, too.

Booze is not going to give you authentic relationships.

Learn to BALANCE your brain and try to DECREASE your DOPAMINE addiction (short term gratification) and endorphin drive (covering pain) and find ways to increase your serotonin (pride and confidence) and oxytocin (acts of kindness, trust, safety) chemicals. ACTIONS that actually make you and others FEEL better and optimistic. + cortisol (stress)

I'm a dog walker. It's the PERFECT job for BALANCE in all these areas!

The four brain chemicals. Well 5, actually.

There's a pretty good explanation by author Simon Sinek on these chemicals. Even though his lectures are oriented to business and leadership.

On brain chemicals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUL...ion_2595898217

Just ONE of many videos and he mentions drinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpogM_fxsQ

Good Luck!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-29-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
After 3 years of never drinking an ounce of alcohol, I am going to the bar alone once a week. This started in May. I dislike the taste of beer, I only order cocktails, mostly top shelf stuff. And good food. I go in telling myself I'm going to have 3-4 cocktails tops, and by the end of the night I've had 8-12 cocktails. I do not drive home drunk. I arrange a taxi, phone a friend, or walk to a nearby hotel and stay there for the night while relaxing with amenities.

Can someone become an alcoholic drinking like this once a week, can any health issues arise?

Edit: WTF there's a red spot in one of my eyes this morning, looks to be something called "subconjunctival hemorrhage". But drinking doesn't cause that does it?
Don't listen to the teetotalers. You are drinking quite a bit ONCE a week. ONCE! You are FAR from having an issue. Not even close. ONCE? It amazes me how ridiculous people are. You are on a binge however, but certainly not in a chemical dependance.

I see no problem with what you do. How many hours does it take to drink those 10 drinks? 5-12 midnight? 5-2am? Don't listen to the teetotalers, they don't know about alcohol. Relax about it, but you might want to cut back a little. 6-8 drinks over a long dinner and night out are fine. Also, how big are the drinks? Some places the drinks are pretty small. What are the drinks?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Wow, an AA meeting for someone drinking once a week. lol Sorry, I didn't read all these pages. The teetotalers are all over this. ha, ha. Well at least you will be the only person there drinking once a week. That might make you feel good, but usually the leader will say, YOU have a problem! They don't want anyone to drink at all.

Go have a wee dram and enjoy yourself, before you get brainwashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness