Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
So after reading the responses I decided I'm going to make plans to go to an open AA meeting just to see what a group of people who have "been there" think about the situation.
It's good that you're not in denial, since many people with drinking problems are in massive denial. This will certainly benefit you going forward. You're to be commended for taking some action. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, an AA meeting for someone drinking once a week. lol Sorry, I didn't read all these pages. The teetotalers are all over this. ha, ha. Well at least you will be the only person there drinking once a week. That might make you feel good, but usually the leader will say, YOU have a problem! They don't want anyone to drink at all.

Go have a wee dram and enjoy yourself, before you get brainwashed.

I am not a teetotaler and actually enjoy having a drink when I feel like it. As a doctor, however, I have seen the deleterious effects of alcohol on people, both physically and psychologically. And, binge drinking, even if it is only once a week, can still lead to health problems and alcoholism, and can in and of itself be considered alcoholism depending on the quantity. Not trying to control or brainwash anyone...just trying to provide facts based on personal experience and scientific evidence.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Yup, you could kill yourself on that many drinks! You're certainly killing your liver and kidneys.

One of the best definitions of an alcoholic is someone who can't stop after 2 drinks! You are one my friend and you'd better get your butt to AA; it only goes downhill from here.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
After 3 years of never drinking an ounce of alcohol, I am going to the bar alone once a week. This started in May. I dislike the taste of beer, I only order cocktails, mostly top shelf stuff. And good food. I go in telling myself I'm going to have 3-4 cocktails tops, and by the end of the night I've had 8-12 cocktails. I do not drive home drunk. I arrange a taxi, phone a friend, or walk to a nearby hotel and stay there for the night while relaxing with amenities.
One thing that jumps out at me about this post are all the little justifications in it. It's different because it's the expensive alcohol. It's not a problem that you can't get yourself home, because you don't drive, at least. You're an epicurian, you eat good food while you're binging. So many little ways of trying to distance yourself from your mental image of a drunk.

Quote:
Can someone become an alcoholic drinking like this once a week, can any health issues arise?
Yes. Dependencies can be psychological or physical. You sound to be psychologically dependent already.

Forcing your body to process that much alcohol regularly can very much cause health issues, cumulative over time. Additionally, once one is dependent, consumption tends to escalate.

People who are not problem drinkers can take it or leave it. If drinking is a necessary part of your weekly routine, and you are routinely overdrinking what you intend to consume, you have a drinking problem. People can quibble over the definition of alcoholic, but this is clearly a drinking problem.

Boredom is the enemy of sobriety. Pick up a hobby that doesn't involve alcohol.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
One of the definitions. The fact that multiple definitions exist, even as people use the term as if we've agreed upon a single definition, illustrates the meaninglessness of the term.
You're right that that behavior alone (inability to control amount of drinking once the person starts) is only one of several indications used to determine alcoholism, so the OP is not an alcoholic....yet. And may never become one if he can control his drinking.

The person would have to manifest at least two other behaviors to fall into the classification of Substance Dependence, as defined by the DSM.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Good post, CA4Now. Alcoholism can be neither ruled out nor diagnosed based on the initial post. In fact, it shouldn't be diagnosed online at all.

Addiction is a process and the issue is peristalsis. Is the user moving towards addiction or away from addiction? That would be useful information for the OP to consider.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, an AA meeting for someone drinking once a week. lol Sorry, I didn't read all these pages. The teetotalers are all over this. ha, ha. Well at least you will be the only person there drinking once a week. That might make you feel good, but usually the leader will say, YOU have a problem! They don't want anyone to drink at all.

Go have a wee dram and enjoy yourself, before you get brainwashed.
You apparently didn't read the OP either.
Quote:

I go in telling myself I'm going to have 3-4 cocktails tops, and by the end of the night I've had 8-12 cocktails.
He said he's also thinking alcohol will relieve his social pressures.

He asked "What COULD happen".

What a shame you believe that investigating a 12 step meeting and getting to know other people is "brainwashing".

Everyone would be well served to think about the 12 step principles not even IN context of drinking.

Even if you're an atheist, it's a very honest way to live one's life. Examining that which may be a power over you, doing A FEARLESS MORAL INVENTORY and making amends never hurt anybody.

Why are you afraid or and adverse to an AA meeting? Whatever "advise" doesn't apply you ignore. It's one of their tenants.

BTW 12 Long Island Iced Teas is not a "wee dram".

It's 30 oz of booze which is 24 shots.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
A binge drinker is someone typically who has long periods of sobriety and then goes off the deep end. This happens repeatedly.

You are in the early stages of garden variety alcoholism. You'll turn into an every day drinker soon enough, don't worry.

This is coming from a guy who drank from the age of 15 to age 32, followed by 39 years of sobriety. I've seen it all.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

BTW 12 Long Island Iced Teas is not a "wee dram".

It's 30 oz of booze which is 24 shots.

Where did the OP claim to be drinking 12 Long Island Iced Teas?

Most bars have limits on those.

Again, if this guy's doing his drinking at a bar, he's probably not getting nearly the amount of alcohol that 8-12 drinks suggests. Nonetheless, OP, you should probably investigate other social outlets.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
After reading your post, I think you realize there may be a problem not necessarily with going out once a week drinking. But what if you add that second or third night out drinking. You said you started in May, I assume this past May and this is the end of July so it should not be to the point that you are jerking and shaking needing to get to the cocktails on your one night a week.

My husband is an alcoholic and has been dry over 20 years now. We lived in his hell of "having to have it every single day of his life until he passed out every night." No amount of me crying, beitching, threatening to leave stopped him, it took him realizing he had a problem and seeking help.

OP what do you do the other six days of the week when you get off from work? Try in the month of August to give up your one night out of drinking and if you can handle that you will be ok. Just be careful the one night doesn't turn into two or three or more nights of drinking. You are questioning yourself early with just the one night so you must realize it could possibly turn into a problem in the future.

You can visit an AA meeting and might realize my goodness some of these people started out drinking like me and it was downhill from there. Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness