U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM

28,635 posts, read 48,747,421 times

Advertisements

Tattoos have been around for millenniums. For young people, this ancient tradition is often associated with the body art of entertainment icons like Tommy Lee, Dennis Rodman and Angelina Jolie.

But as more and more young people are diagnosed with diabetes, the tattoo fad that often spoke rebellion has found a new meaning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabete...4028385&page=1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:11 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,053,118 times
Wow I think that would be a great idea, I guess the main question is where to place the tatoo?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 AM

436 posts, read 653,656 times
Great idea- let an unknown person stick a needle into your skin (possibly already compromised skin) to brand you, and risk hepatitis, HIV, AIDS, infections, etc.

How about the simple ID ALERT Bracelet? Quick, easy, visible- and it works.

Rescuers don't always have the time to look for tattoos, but a bracelet will catch their eye.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:09 PM

24 posts, read 123,798 times
I think this is an interesting idea. What else could you tattoo on yourself? Maybe your name?

I have my name on the front of my cell phone and also the phrase "ICOE:555-5555" meaning In Case Of Emergency. Of course I put my husband's real number there! It's been recommended to have ICOE somewhere in your wallet/phone/taped to your license so emergency personnel know who to call immediately.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 PM

12,776 posts, read 32,867,876 times
With the risk of infections & dibetics having a hard time healing...not so sure I would do this...hate needles too!!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 33,082 times
Smile diabetes tattoo

Hi my name is Stormy and my hsband is a tattoo artist who has been doing tattoos for about 4 years now and this is the first time I've never seen a tattoo like this. I really like the idea. It's not just a fad or pasted down any more, they mean different things to different people. There are doctors, lawyers, and other important people like that that have tattoo now a days so before anyone can sit there and judge some one for the art work that they have on their bodies, judge the art work that you see hanging in your doctors office next.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 33,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Great idea- let an unknown person stick a needle into your skin (possibly already compromised skin) to brand you, and risk hepatitis, HIV, AIDS, infections, etc.

Rescuers don't always have the time to look for tattoos, but a bracelet will catch their eye.
and to this qoute just to let people out there that are thinking about getting tattoos done the tattoo artist have to have CPR and BBP certifections. They use needles and stuff that you can throw away. Now im not saying that everyone uses the same stuff but you have to be very carefully about who you go to and what it looks like in the parlor. IF IT DONT FEEL RIGHT DONT DO IT. So keep your eyes open and dont jump on the first one that you see and dont get one done at home if you want cheap tattoos you get cheap work and what ever comes with it (something for the rest of your life).

Old 06-17-2008, 12:42 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,996,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post

I have spoken to several ER personnel and they say the problems with the bracelets is that they break. Some of the newer ones are better such as the velcro ones but those can still easily become undone.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM

6,086 posts, read 11,672,097 times
I think it's a great idea. A standard area for medical tats would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness