Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 AM

133 posts, read 534,424 times

Advertisements

We have a juicer. Apple and carrot is my favourite combination of all time. I tried something with asparagus one time, and it really wasn't too bad. I'll try and dig a few recipes up for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
I would not cook them, but why not try frozen.

I can't drink anything with kale in it. it ruins everything.

pinkstring, great idea for using lemon.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
i love to juice because it seems easier to drink your veggies and fruits insteAD OF CHEWING and swallowing (tasting) them BUT whenever i use the juicer i have that scene from fargo in my head where the psycho dude is feeding a body into the woodchipper so juicing can be psychologically challenging for me.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM

674 posts, read 804,631 times
Do not cook the veggies. Juicing and making smoothies gives you an opportunity to take advantage of the enzymes that are a factor in the healthy nature of veggies....cooking destroys these enzymes so don't cook them.

When starting out with smoothies, use 2 fruits to every veggie. This will make the smoothie taste better.

As far as juicing, there is no problem whatsoever in mixing the juices of veggies and fruits. I normally do 4 large carrots to every medium sized apple and at times a handful of mild greens. For a splash, add soda water/seltzer to the juice for fizz.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Disgusting!

You people are sick!

I have a real problem with drinking my vegetables. There oughta be a law about what you can and can't put into a smoothie.
Uh...have you ever tried it? It's not bad, it doesn't taste like lettuce when you mix it with fruit.
I got the idea of the romaine lettuce from one of Victoria Boutenko's book about making Green smoothies.
They may look gross, but they taste great. Just avoid the one with celery.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I can drink my fruits easier in liquid form.
Now, I'll have to try the veggies.

Thanks to everyone for input.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Uh...have you ever tried it? It's not bad, it doesn't taste like lettuce when you mix it with fruit.
I got the idea of the romaine lettuce from one of Victoria Boutenko's book about making Green smoothies.
They may look gross, but they taste great. Just avoid the one with celery.
I can't do it, PinkString. I cannot drink vegetables.

I would rather just eat a nice big salad.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:42 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I like eating veggies and drinking them. It's great in the summer with ice. Since i cannot handle eating when it's 110+ every day.

To each their own for sure. But i bet if you ever came to visit me, I could whip up a delicious veggie juice that tasted like citrus and you would be a convert. Or your money back.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:11 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I like eating veggies and drinking them. It's great in the summer with ice. Since i cannot handle eating when it's 110+ every day.

To each their own for sure. But i bet if you ever came to visit me, I could whip up a delicious veggie juice that tasted like citrus and you would be a convert. Or your money back.
Well, I recently drove through Los Vegas on my trip x-country, so you missed your chance!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 130,510 times
Just another person for juicing their vegetables! In my case it's especially helpful in adding extra vegetables to my children's diets. We mix approximately 30% veggies and 60% fruit and 10% ice and it works out great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness