U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:42 PM

7,295 posts, read 17,567,274 times

Advertisements

I use frozen fruits in smoothies and I was thinking about using frozen veggies.
Have you all ever done this? I wasn't sure if the veggies could be eaten or drank without cooking them first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:54 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,132,436 times
im sure it is done all the time. if i were you i would start with a HOtato smoothie.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,177,655 times
I think you might want to juice some veggies and use that in the smoothie.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,119,900 times
You can juice all types of veggies, but they say not to mix them with fruits, although I have seen apple/carrot juice. Veggies are best eaten raw. You may want to get a book on juicing or go on google and find recipes, raw veggie juice. something like that. I juice with 5 carrots, parsley, garlic, and clove of garlic.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:53 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,282,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I think you might want to juice some veggies and use that in the smoothie.
I saw an infomercial with Jack Lalanne demonstrating juicing and it got me so fired up that I ordered one of his machines.

It's a great machine, but after a couple of weeks I realized that the only juice I made that I liked was apple or orange. I love all vegetables, but to me, vegetable juice combinations are some nasty stuff.

Except for V-8.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:10 PM

10,202 posts, read 22,689,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I saw an infomercial with Jack Lalanne demonstrating juicing and it got me so fired up that I ordered one of his machines.

It's a great machine, but after a couple of weeks I realized that the only juice I made that I liked was apple or orange. I love all vegetables, but to me, vegetable juice combinations are some nasty stuff.

Except for V-8.
I have a secret weapon for the veggie juices: Include a whole lime and/or 1/3 to 1/2 a lemon, and the veggie juice will taste nice and citrusy no matter how you mix it up.
I mix up several leaves of romaine lettuce, 4 stalks celery, 3-4 carrots, a lime, 1/3 lemon, a tomato or two, an apple, orange. And any other fruit or veggie laying around. Everything that can be juiced is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

As for the OP wanting to know about veggies in smoothies:
Your best bet is to try romaine lettuce, spinach, and kale for starters. I make green smoothies now and then, and when I do, i use 6-8 leaves of romaine added to my fruit. It turns the smoothie green, but it tastes fruity. So if you aren't opposed to drinking something that looks like green slime, give it a try. I've found when I make my green smoothies, they never disappear out of the fridge the way my regular fruit smoothies do. Nobody steals them. lol

Old 12-21-2007, 04:14 PM

7,295 posts, read 17,567,274 times
Have you all tried frozen veggies instead of the raw kind? I wasn't sure if they needed to be cooked first.

Ho tato: that's a good one. LOL

Old 12-21-2007, 05:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 22,689,325 times
I've never tried frozen veggies in smoothies. Feel free to be the guinea pig and try it and report back. Best bet: make a very small batch in case you hate it.
And as far as veggies go, the more raw the better. They have their nutrients and enzymes still intact.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,441,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I use frozen fruits in smoothies and I was thinking about using frozen veggies.
Have you all ever done this? I wasn't sure if the veggies could be eaten or drank without cooking them first.
Gross.

Cold pea soup slush...

Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,441,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Your best bet is to try romaine lettuce, spinach, and kale for starters. I make green smoothies now and then, and when I do, i use 6-8 leaves of romaine added to my fruit. It turns the smoothie green, but it tastes fruity.
Disgusting!

You people are sick!

I have a real problem with drinking my vegetables. There oughta be a law about what you can and can't put into a smoothie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness