U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:55 PM

9,022 posts, read 11,655,803 times

Advertisements

It will allow you to become a self-righteous intolerant twerp and be glorified for doing so. The last bastion of bigotry and discrimination against a legal activity.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 PM

10,194 posts, read 22,681,504 times
I'm an ex-smoker, I quit cold turkey 11 years ago. I hear some of use ex-smoker's are the worst against smoking.
**The following is just my opinion, and do not reflect on anyone in here that smokes.**

What I don't like about a lot of smoker's, they stand in front of grocery and other stores smoking, and everyone has to wade through that secondhand smoke to enter or leave. I always hold my breath while covering my face and run through really fast. We shouldn't have to do this. Smoking should only be allowed by the dumpsters in the back of buildings. Since it's a stinky habit, it goes together well.

People that smoke heavily and then go out in public: A non-smoker can smell a smoker as they walk by. The heavy smoker's, they can be smelled from a block away. It's hell being trapped in an elevator with someone that reeks, and in other closed places. Don't these people wash their clothes or bathe?

On the other hand, like someone said above, the benefits to quitting smoking are worth it.
Within the first 6-12 months, you notice an increase in the sense of smell. After a year, your sense of taste comes back. Big time. Things you never knew you liked, you now like. Other things you thought you loved, like heavily salting your food because you could never taste it, you now hate with a passion.

When you shampoo your hair using a nice scented shamppo and conditioner, you can actually smell it when out in a breeze. Everything smells better and unfortunatley food does too, and it tastes better, and gaining weight can happen.

Breathing becomes easier and you find you want to stay outside riding your bike, walking, hiking, rock climbing,etc.
And best of all, your immune system starts working correctly again, and you hardly ever get a cold. Gone is that nasty bronchitis you would get every year, coughing your lungs up with the cough that never ends.
Your voice improves, so if you are a female, when you answer the phone, they won't ask if you are "Mr". So and so.

There are many more benefits, such as extending your life span, and never having to worry anymore when it's below zero outside, that you don't have to freeze to death for one more cancer stick.

To the OP, good luck with your commitment to quitting smoking. It can be done, and it works best when YOU are ready to finally quit. You have to have great resolve and vow under no circumstances will you give in and go back to it. The rewards are so worth it.
The first week is the hardest. Once you make it to 3 months, you should be able to stick with it.
Just ignore those dreams where you are smoking..they are just leftover dream memories.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,439,357 times
I can spot a smoker just by appearance. You can tell by how their skin looks. The voice is alway raspy. Get closer and my guess is confirmed by that dirty smoker smell. It is a disgusting habit for sure...

Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 PM

605 posts, read 691,135 times
This is a good thread.
What scares me is the health issue. Already starting to get lip lines-sucks, around people who smoke make it harder, and it becomes a habit. Facials help, lip cream helps.
When my chest hurts, I care, but when I feel good, I smoke. 8 years last month, and already see these lip lines.
Don't seem to see that I'm adding more and more coffin nails to my life, and cancer related to the cancer sticks.
S-M-O-K-I-N-G S-U-C-K-S-----it IS an addiction!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM

10,194 posts, read 22,681,504 times
Yes, it most definitely is an addiction. It's really hard to quit. Willpower is a myth. What you need to help you quit are substitutions. Like I mentioned in another thread, cut straws down to cigarette size. When you feel the urge, pretend you are smoking with them. And exhale nice and long each time. It really does help, like a placebo. You can try deep breathing and exhaling too, but when i first quit, i found the straws to be more helpful.
And of course, have lots of celery sticks, carrot sticks, jicama sticks, other fresh fruits and veggies to munch in place of smoking.
And if you have strength of mind and spirit while withdrawing, by all means get out and walk, run, bike, anything to keep your circulation going and it will also help lessen the cravings.

Last edited by PinkString; 12-21-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: merry christmas and happy new year

Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,045,659 times
The smell
The yellow/brown teeth
The wrinkles
The inconvienence of having to plan activities around smoking (for example, I can't take my smoking relatives anywhere that doesn't allow smoking and takes longer than an hour or so, like the zoo, or the corn maze I wanted to take them to)

...did I mention the smell?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 PM

7,100 posts, read 24,945,313 times
My lover isn't a smoker. Most of the other men I dated were. The difference in kissing a smoker and the sweet mouth of a non-smoker is something that can't be measured. I NEVER want to taste like that!

Maybe you would like to taste good too, hmmmmmm?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 PM

919 posts, read 2,950,991 times
you cut your chances of dying from cancer...once i seen a woman who had face cancer, it was horrible...it was around that time I thought to quit, it took me ten years to finally quit after seeing that and I started at age 9. I smoked for 20 years....and quit for 14.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,737,141 times
Disclaimer: I don't want to offend anyone.

I feel really grossed out by smockers because I feel like they don't exercise social responsibility. It's not just your health, it's the health of others that they are affecting. It's the health of children around them, people with asthma around them and etc... When I walk into the building where I work, I have to pass thru the cloud of smoke. Why do I have to??? Why do I have to take an alternate route with my son to get to the park, because there is a bar few blocks away and it's like a chimney there???
Second hand smoke if awful. There is a toxin called cadmium that is released with second hand smoke and causes tons of problems in people's health. Smockers themselves are not as susceptible to it as non-smockers.

So besides the fact that smockers are ruining their health, they are also ruining health of others and it disgusts me.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,077,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It will allow you to become a self-righteous intolerant twerp and be glorified for doing so. The last bastion of bigotry and discrimination against a legal activity.
Yeah, that's what can happen if you take it too far, and self-righteousness doesn't help a smoker who wants to quit, be successful in quitting.

But let me say this. I lost my mom back in 2002 because she smoked nearly her entire adult life. Near the end of her life she was in and out of the hospital because she would have a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which is asthma, emphysema and bronchitis rolled into one) attack and feel like she was suffocating. Then she needed to be put on oxygen as well as a medication called Prednisone. Prednisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that also wreaks havoc on your body, especially if you're a diabetic, which my mom also was. She also had congestive heart failure from smoking, meaning her heart couldn't do a good enough job of providing oxygen to the various parts of her body, or expelling carbon dioxide.

In California where I live, cigarette taxes are astronomical. Even if you, the OP, don't live in CA, think how much MONEY you'll save by quitting.

Mikey, my friend, I know what you mean when you complain about non-smokers lording it over smokers. I'm just telling it like it is from direct experience. It is no fun to watch a loved one slowly die from something that can be so easily avoided by never starting smoking. Watching both my parents (my dad smoked too, and he was also an alcoholic and died at 55 years of age from throat cancer) certainly made me never want to start up. There are too many good things in life, and for me, mountain hiking is one of them. I could never do it if I smoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness