U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,637,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
No, I won't tell you the digusting things you are giving up.

Rather, I will tell you this:

1. food will begin to smell and taste better

2. you will be able to walk, possibly run, without become so winded

3. you will decrease the chance of lung, stomach, tracheal, esophageal and bladder cancer.

4. in ten years of smoke free life, your risk factors will be the same as one who has never smoked.

5. you will reduce the incidence of heart disease, and vascular disease

6. off the medical stuff, you will not be throwing a lot of money away on a stupid, digusting habit
Bravo!!! Besides when you smoke you stink

Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,418,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
I would like to try welbutrin but I only have one working kidney left and I hear that kidney problems is a reason you should not take the drug.
Well yes, I would imagine that almost any drug would be something you probably shouldn't take if you have only one working kidney.

That is another thing for you to think about then. Should you develop COPD then taking medication to treat it will NOT be good for you because of your kidney. Ephesemia also. You should be doing all you can to avoid any kind of illness so you can avoid taking any and all medication.

Do you drink soda? I used to until I got an attack of kidney stones, I might have one serving of soda in a month now, the rest of the time I drink water and some fruit juice.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:34 PM

674 posts, read 632,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray
I was always curious how people know this. I mean, I never licked an ashtray so I have no basis of comparison.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,500,129 times
The isolation of a smoker

Life had become a boring routine. She had just been going through the motions of maintaining a normal resemblance of existence. Waking up, having a cigarette. Washing up and brushing her teeth, having a cigarette. Eating breakfast, having a cigarette. Doing some light cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, and having a cigarette. Watching a little television while having a cigarette. Preparing a sandwich for lunch, having a cigarette. Taking a short nap, waking up for a cigarette.

Reading the newspaper, having a cigarette. Making a list of needed groceries, having a cigarette. Getting ready to do some light shopping, having a cigarette. Driving to the local market, having a cigarette. About to enter the store, but stopping to have a cigarette. Checking out at the cash register, leaving the store and having a cigarette. Going home and starting to prepare dinner, having a cigarette. Eating dinner, having a cigarette.

Clearing the table and washing the dishes, having a cigarette. Watching a little television, having a couple of cigarettes. Washing up, brushing her teeth and getting dressed for bed, having a cigarette. Getting into bed, having a cigarette. Going to sleep.

The next morning while waking up the phone rang. She ran to get the cigarettes anticapating a good phone conversation. But something was wrong. Pain in the heart. She collapses. No one to try to save her. Her heart stops. No one will be by for days to help. It is too late. She is gone.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 PM

674 posts, read 632,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The next morning while waking up the phone rang. She ran to get the cigarettes anticapating a good phone conversation. But something was wrong. Pain in the heart. She collapses. No one to try to save her. Her heart stops. No one will be by for days to help. It is too late. She is gone.
Don't forget the part where the hungry cats eat her face off as she lays on the floor waiting for someone to discover her body.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Smokers have a duty to their loved ones

You may want to attempt to explain it your family now. It might make a needless death, and their coming belief that you loved one chemical more than them. It is easier to accept once you're gone. Is this simply more scare tactics or asking you to examine reality? Each and every day smoking claims 13,698 lives(source AMA) on earth. Which cigarette in which pack will contain the irritant that gives birth to that first cancerous cell, to the first diseased cell, or that pulls the death's trigger in producing a massive stroke or heart attack?

How should your family describe your cause of death?
Was it suicide, murder, an accident or stupidity?

How about:
Death by Smoking

Old 12-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Don't forget the part where the hungry cats eat her face off as she lays on the floor waiting for someone to discover her body.
You are right I did forget. Ok to continue the true story: The hungry Cats started eating away at the poor dead womans flesh but the taste of nicotine in the flesh was so repulsive that the Cats decided it is better to die of starvation.

Thanks for pushing me to finish what you wanted to hear.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,414,277 times
I tell you what... I'll make everyone a deal... I'll give up one cigarette for every drink that you'll give up... because I find drinking... just the smell of liquor or beer, much less how it alters a person's behavior and the accidents and deaths that it causes... more disgusting than any of you could ever find cigarettes or their smell!

You don't have to sit beside someone in a restaurant or on a plane smoking anymore... but I still have to sit beside the drinkers. And, don't even try to justify it... we smokers have justification down to an art!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 PM

605 posts, read 692,449 times
Wow, some of these posts are deep and deserve some reps!
WHen i read the isolation of a smoker, my mom came to mind, and got a tad choked up.
Rambling on now I know why I am why I am, family loves chemicals probably more than they loved me--never got enough love in my childhood-so sad woman Rambling off
does that fit????

My grandfather lived to be 104 and had a glass of red wine every night---weird how coffin nails kill more than booze does....

Old 12-23-2007, 04:22 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,125,814 times
I would like to recommend the book How to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness