Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:16 PM

101 posts, read 329,698 times

Advertisements

My dad quit after finding his abysmally high cholesterol number: over 500! That was what got him to quit, at least.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
you cut your chances of dying from cancer...once i seen a woman who had face cancer, it was horrible...it was around that time I thought to quit, it took me ten years to finally quit after seeing that and I started at age 9. I smoked for 20 years....and quit for 14.
Good for you Seaharbour! Nine is certainly young to start. You probably had parents who smoked. I didn't, and didn't start until I got to college, but I quit at 24. That was the year before I met my husband. He would have never married me if I smoked, because he just couldn't stand to be around smokers. I like the fact that it's totally banned in public places here in CA. PA should pass an indoor ban too. I think one got voted down for being unconstitutional last year. In time, though, I think it will pass.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:12 PM

605 posts, read 865,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I like the fact that it's totally banned in public places here in CA.
Where? *scratches head*

Old 12-22-2007, 07:11 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
I hvae seen several family members and friends who have died from cancer, none of them smoked some of them were just children when they died. Cancer is horrid, so every time you think you want a smoke, think of all the people who have or had cancer. MY prayers are with you and I really hope you stop this habit. God Bless.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,422 times
sorry, if the post was a bit harsh, I just never want anyperson ever to go through such a horrid experiance as cancer.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 AM

919 posts, read 3,183,800 times
Thanks Goodgirl..no my parents did not smoke when I was that age..they did drink alot with their friends who did..so I was around it alot..esp extended relatives....I wanted to fit in with someone, anyone who would acknowledge me and sadly enough the only person who was my friend was not a good person...I wanted to be accepted and liked by someone, anyone at that time in my life..and I am glad i quit...It almost killed me, but my lungs have mostly healed...but I hate to think what the damage was done to them, I was around relatives who smoked from birth..constantly too, I am happy to be alive but i do fear cancer as michelle pointed out here, so many in my family have died from cancer, stroke, anerisms, alcholism...did not want to pass that down to my family today..and I am not...my child has healthy self esteem, has alot of things to do, from sports to creative drawing and art...I am making sure her life is so different from mine!

Old 12-22-2007, 07:35 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
It does ruin your teeth. My DH smokes and now gets something under his gums that causes him to lose teeth. He has only lost one so far, but the dentist told him it was from smoking. Cigerettes also stink and they cause lung cancer. My husband had lung cancer.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Kissing a person who smokes is like sucking on an ash tray. I prefer my air NOT chunky thanks.

Think about all the money you pay out for cigarettes, add it up over a year and think of the things you can better spend the money on.

Over time smoking causes loss of circulation in the extremeties, in men that includes their fifth extremety and in time can lead to impotence. Now isn't that a kick, all those men out there someday could be unable to make love but by god they have their cigarettes. Kind of poetic justice if you ask me, smokers shouldn't breed anyway.

If you can, try Welbutrin, I hear it works really well for people who are stopping smoking. AND if you convince your doctor your feeling a little blue but want an anti-depressant with low sexual side effects, you can get your insurance to pay for it. If they think you want it for stopping smoking, MOST won't.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM

979 posts, read 3,827,707 times
I would like to try welbutrin but I only have one working kidney left and I hear that kidney problems is a reason you should not take the drug.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
OK!!! I have never made a New Years resolution before but I was already planning on quitting smoking again so I thought, hey, why not then?! But I need some help..... I know you have all of you have done a thread like this one before so I'm calling on everyone. Please reply with all things disgusting about smoking to remind me why I'm quitting. I would greatly appreciate it as well as my roommate who is quitting with me. And if you have any tips, I wouldn't mind that either. I quit with the patch last time and I plan to use that again.Thanks for all your help.... and remember! Smoking is gross, tell me why!
Didn't read the other posts, sorry.

What I find disgusting about smokers/smoking:

1. Smoking stinks!!!

2. Smoker's breath

3. Yellow teeth/fingernails

4. Cancer

5. Breathing problems

6. Just not conducive to living a healthy lifestyle

and many, many other things, but right now I have to leave the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness