Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:40 AM

436 posts, read 809,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
It does ruin your teeth. My DH smokes and now gets something under his gums that causes him to lose teeth. He has only lost one so far, but the dentist told him it was from smoking. Cigerettes also stink and they cause lung cancer. My husband had lung cancer.
perhaps your DH should pay a visit to an ENT or oral surgeon. Oral cancers are common for smokers.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
I would like to try welbutrin but I only have one working kidney left and I hear that kidney problems is a reason you should not take the drug.
having kidney problems is a good reason to quit smoking. Forget the welbutrin, just quit. For you, especially, the sooner, the better. With only one kidney, why risk your life for a plant leaf?

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I tell you what... I'll make everyone a deal... I'll give up one cigarette for every drink that you'll give up... because I find drinking... just the smell of liquor or beer, much less how it alters a person's behavior and the accidents and deaths that it causes... more disgusting than any of you could ever find cigarettes or their smell!

You don't have to sit beside someone in a restaurant or on a plane smoking anymore... but I still have to sit beside the drinkers. And, don't even try to justify it... we smokers have justification down to an art!
I would have as easy deal here- I drink a wine with special dinners, but I would bet you smoke a lot more than that.

Granted, I would rather look in my rear view mirror and see someone smoking in their car, than tipping a bottle. Alcohol does alter the person. It is toxic to the organs, and affects the brain in many ways, altering sensation, and abilities; not to mention decision making.

But- sitting next to someone who is having a social drink (not a nasty drunk at the bar) is far less annoying than having someone blow smoke into your air or around your food. I can deal with the social drinker being next to me far better than I can deal with the social smoker.

As for your "justification down to an art"= yes, smokers do have that presence of mind in any discussion. In a way, I think the smokers are discriminated against. Don't get me wrong- I think smoking should be eliminated in public venues, BUT- I feel it is totally wrong to be taxing the hell out of the smokers, under the guise of "helping the children with health care" or some other stupid title to the tax bills. I think a person has every right to smoke in their car, or on their property, regardless of who is visiting them. It is the smoker's property, not the visitor's.

I also believe they have every right to be charged more for insurance coverage. But- I also feel that way for the obese people as well. Just a comparative there, not something intending to highjack or alter the original posting.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
ncisgreat wrote:
I never licked an ashtray so I have no basis of comparison.
You were never a curious child, eh?

blessings....Franco

Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
I tell you what... I'll make everyone a deal... I'll give up one cigarette for every drink that you'll give up... because I find drinking... just the smell of liquor or beer, much less how it alters a person's behavior and the accidents and deaths that it causes... more disgusting than any of you could ever find cigarettes or their smell!

You don't have to sit beside someone in a restaurant or on a plane smoking anymore... but I still have to sit beside the drinkers. And, don't even try to justify it... we smokers have justification down to an art!
I don't drink..so for every cigarette you give up, i'll give up a cookie. Yes, i will sacrifice my snacks to help you quit smoking.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:

Easy enough. I don't drink or smoke! I guess I can give up my daily reduced fat, part skim, low moisture cheese stick.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:44 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
perhaps your DH should pay a visit to an ENT or oral surgeon. Oral cancers are common for smokers.
He goes to a dentist. So far his teeth are okay, but what happened with radiation after his lung surgery is that the top of his teeth all rotted. No one told him why until a dentist explained it. So he spent over $3000 to have his teeth all fixed. That is something that people need to know about with radiation therary.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:53 AM

okay- radiation will have adverse effects, along with stopping growths of abnormal origins

Old 12-24-2007, 04:55 AM

31 posts, read 81,533 times
As someone who has never smoked I will say that because someone is a smoker that does mean that they are a "disgusting" person. Is that habit disgusting, sure but that doesn't say anything about the individual. I think people all have one "vice" in one way or the other. Some smoke, some drink, some take pills for various reasons, some gamble etc etc....

Of course you should try to quit and after watching the man who raised me die of COPD last winter I wish I could show everyone what it did to him and he quit smoking in 1976! Do it for yourself but also do it for those who love you and don't want to see you suffer from cancer or a terrible lung disease.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
1. Smoking makes you reek. Not just your breath, your clothing, hair, everything about you smells stale and foul. If I get into an elevator with a smoker, I get get back out. If my secretary smokes, I ask for her to be switched to someone else. He/she will stink all the time and no amount of perfume or mint can mask the smell. Yes you have a right to stink if you choose, but you still stink.

2. Smoking around non-smokers is incredibly rude. When you blow smoke in someone's direction, it is the equivalent of bending over and passing gas in their face. (that is why the thing that you suck the smoke through is called a butt). Yes you have the right to do that too, but if you do it, you will be generally reviled.

3. Smoking endangers the health of others. I once took a cigarette and heated it in a sealed container. A black gooey paste came out. It was disgusting. When you smoke a cigarette, that black gooey paste is going somewhere. Some of it gets caught in the filter, but not much compared to the amount of black gooey stuff. The rest goes into your body and into the body of those around you. Second hand smoke is dangerous. You have a right to poison yourself, but not to poison others.

4. The act of smoking is pretty gross. Have you ever sat and watched someone smoking in a car? It is similar to watching someone picking their nose and digging out a big gooey . . . well you get the picture. Ick.

5. Smoking makes your house stink. I do not go to the home of friends who smoke. I invite them over (and tell them no smoking in or near our house), or I do outside things with them. However do not think that if you are outside, that is it any more pleasant to have smoke blown in your face, or to smell the reek of a smoker. It is not. Friends who are inconsiderate smokers, I just do not see.

6. If you smoke and drink coffee, you will have the worst breath possible. People will gag from ten feet away. No amount of chewing gum or mints will cover it up. Even brushing your teeth will not completely get rid of the stench.

7. Smoking generates a litter problem. Cigarette butts do not ever decay. People throw them all over the place and make our world look bad. Even in the dump, these tings never go away. You may think that they are small, but after a while, a million os so of them is very substantial.

8. Smoking causes fires. Every year thousands of people set their home on fire with a cigarette, especially when they fall asleep while smoking.

9. Smoking causes global warming - Just ask Al Gore. (He invented smoking, and global warming too).

10. If you have kids, smoking in their presence is child abuse. You are poisoning them as well is greatly increasing the likelihood that they will try smoking thinking it makes them grown up and then spend the rest of their lives trying to break the addiction. Pus you make them stink and subject them to ridicule at school. Of course giving kids sugar is probably equally child abuse for essentially the same reasons and almost all of us are guilty of that.

12. Smoking is expensive.
I really get frustrated when I see people who cannot afford food or clothing for themselves or their children spending hundreds a month on cigarettes.

13. Smoking us unfair to the rest of us. When you are dying of lung cancer, emphysema or other smoking related diseases, who pays for your health care? It is also unfair to those who love you because it deprives them of your company sooner.

13. Smoking forces people to lie. Your loved ones will tell you that your breath is not that bad, or that you do not stink, or that your smoking does not bother them at all. THEY ARE LYING. and you have forced them to lie in order to avoid damaging your fragile psyche.

11. Smoking reduces math and counting skills. See just thinking about smoking made me forge to include the number 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness